To any penny pinchers...

I was just wondering if there are any penny pinchers here? So many ppl talk about nice cabins with balcony's, or JS's or floatplane tours...

LOL...I am definitely not one of those ppl. I will probably never get above 3000 room and never spend thousands of $ on excursions! The only way I am going on a cruise next summer is that I am using my gov't assistance for school (we call it OSAP) that I have tiresly saved.

I just was curious if there were other ppl out there who were the same as me, and just happy to have a place on board and able to witness any of this stuff in the first place.

No offence to those who can amply afford their cruise - you're blessed!

There are plenty of people here that only book inside cabins or perhaps an ordinary outside cabin with just a window. This topic has been discussed numerous times and many people prefer to have a cheaper cabin so they can cruise more often in lieu of fewer cruises in a more expensive cabin.

I usually go for the gty cabins(except for Alaska, I wanted to make sure I had a balcony, so I thats what I booked)...have been upgraded a few times...but, I will probably never see the inside of a suite unless its courtsy of the upgrade fairy...;)

We are pretty frugle generally, but have booked the Penthouse suite on Celebrity twice (Caribbean and Panama Canal).:D AMAZING difference. However, we go back and forth for variety and to match whatever our travelmates want to do. I don't mind the inside rooms either.:)

J

lots of ppl save up for thier cruises- watch for specials - use the c and a coupons- travel in off season to get better prices- go in inside or ov cabins- do in expensive excursions- or stay on the ship - etc...... you are not alone by any means........

We are pretty frugle generally, but have booked the Penthouse suite on Celebrity twice (Caribbean and Panama Canal).:D AMAZING difference. However, we go back and forth for variety and to match whatever our travelmates want to do. I don't mind the inside rooms either.:)

J

My sentiments. Especially "short cruise, cold weather", no need for balcony unless it's a free upgrade. Shore excursions are a waste (my OWN opinion) unless you are in Europe, South America, etc. Then we have paid for ships' excursions. You did want everyone's opinions didn't you??

I asked the question about a month ago how people can afford to go on so many cruises so often, and now here I am with 2 booked within 6 weeks of each other LOL I have never and probably will never book anything larger than a balcony. In addition to just saving up for my cruises and trying to avoid the excursions, etc. I do alot of penny pinching at home to help with my cruise addiction. I use coupons at the grocery store, when we go out to eat, I use coupons, I do alot of mystery shopping so I can get a few dollars here and there as well as eat out for free, etc and anytiime we get an unexpected check or bonus from work, it goes to the cruise fund :D So, there are ways to cruise more often than some, its just a matter of figuring out the method....which luckily I am slowly deciphering :cool:

One way to save money, is to go on a line that doesn't do auto-tipping and then avoid dinner on the last night and sneak out of your cabin in the early hours.:o

Thats not exactly good advice! :mad: These crew members work very hard in keeping all guests happy and satisfied all week, and rely on these tips! I think its very rude for anyone (and unfortunately it happens alot) to go on a cruise and stiff the staff that has bent over backwards for them all week to save a few $$. If someone cant afford the tips for the staff (which are not unreasonable), dont go at all.

Originally Posted by Botham

One way to save money, is to go on a line that doesn't do auto-tipping and then avoid dinner on the last night and sneak out of your cabin in the early hours.:o

Thats not exactly good advice! :mad: These crew members work very hard in keeping all guests happy and satisfied all week, and rely on these tips! I think its very rude for anyone (and unfortunately it happens alot) to go on a cruise and stiff the staff that has bent over backwards for them all week to save a few $$. If someone cant afford the tips for the staff (which are not unreasonable), dont go at all.

addict, I think Botham posted in jest...I dont think it was a suggestion, simply a muse...

addict, I think Botham posted in jest...I dont think it was a suggestion, simply a muse...

I would hope so, however I think its never appropriate to post something like that because there are people out there, unfortunately who would take it seriously and consider it. It's best left unsaid IMHO. There are unfortunately too many people out there already who do not tip, so I dont think its a good idea to give anyone that suggestion whether its done in jest or not.

Really depends for us. We have done everything from a bottom of the barrel inside to a penthouse suite (but that was because of a GREAT DEAL!). We have had balcony cabins and oceanview on a variety of decks. This next trip was a last minute....let's just book something and go! So we are taking an inside (for the cost...) and we will spend any extra savings in the spa or on shore. We have cruised a number of times and know that you spend VERY little time in your cabin...at least we do....so unless the price is really right, or we are cruising with a gang where we'd want a balcony to hang out on, I don't forsee us doing a balcony for full price - EVER.

Mrsfuzzmo

As I've said before, the best cruise we ever had was our first on the SS Norway in 1980 in an inside cabin with two bunks about as forward as you could be on the Viking Deck.

While we've had suites and balconies we still believe a room is just a room and if you go on a cruise ship just to sit in your room you might as well stay home.

My husband and I pride ourselves on being very smart travellers. My in-laws are flabbergasted at how often we travel, but if you do your homework -- it's very do-able! Some people take one vacation a year, and on that one vacation, they eat at the most expensive restaurants, stay at the most expensive hotels, etc. etc. We, on the other hand, do tons of research, use priceline for hotels, dine a la Taco Bell and Subway for lunch (sometimes! :)), and watch for great deals. Plus, we're what some people would call DINKS - dual income, no kids. We usually don't "save up" -- if I spend $500 on the deposit for a cruise, I just modify my "extra" spending within that pay period. Sometimes it gets tight, but for a cruise, it's worth it!

We've cruised twice in recent years and had inside cabins. They were fine. We're not in there very much. I'd be a waste of a balcony room, even if I got an upgrade. I don't picture myself just sitting out there. I'm also not a room service person. I prefer to be out and about. We'll always go with the inside/cheaper rooms.

Sher

Kingsgirl, I congratulate you for making your education a priority. You will never regret it. I'm sure you will need a break at the end of a challenging school year. I work in college admissions and financial aid and I find it interesting that you have money left over to take a cruise. With federal and state budgets shrinking, students at our college often find that they have to borrow money to cover all costs. I wouldn't advertise that information too much or tax payers in your state may lobby for lower disbursements!:confused:

Kingsgirl, I congratulate you for making your education a priority. You will never regret it. I'm sure you will need a break at the end of a challenging school year. I work in college admissions and financial aid and I find it interesting that you have money left over to take a cruise. With federal and state budgets shrinking, students at our college often find that they have to borrow money to cover all costs. I wouldn't advertise that information too much or tax payers in your state may lobby for lower disbursements!:confused:

I would venture that the OP is from Ontario Canada (OSAP = Ontario Student Assistance Program) and she states that she is using her gov't assistance for schooling - not to be too harsh but that is why it is called what it is called. I am not aware of a parallel program called OCAP (Ontario Cruising Assistance Program)

You would not have qualified for it if you had not shown a need for it to pay for your schooling. The question you need to ask now that you see that you will not need all of it in addition to your other sources of income is if a cruise is the best use of your extra cash or should you concentrate on paying back your OSAP loans as quickly as possible.

I think that the majority of us cruise as much as we do because we are not in school, we have jobs/careers or are retired and have spent our life balancing the pros and cons of debt and otehr expeditures with the pleasures that cruising and other past times can provide to us.

Good luck as you try to figure out the best balance between these and other life decisions in the future.

Are there others who save up? Absolutely. When I started cruising years ago I would save up 12-18 months and cruised every other year. I had small kids at the time. Now that my kids are grown and I don't do the family vacations anymore, I can cruise more often. As far as saving though, I have a part-time fun job as a ticket taker for sporting events. I save up what little I make and deposit it in a Vacation savings account. As far as cabin types, it depends. I go anywhere between insides and a standard balcony cabin.

Just a gentle note to those who haven't been posting a long time. There are regulars that sometimes post humorous statements. The purpose is not to be mean spirited but in some cases due to a repeative topic. When someone reacts to this in terms of what they think someone can/cannot post it starts taking the thread off-topic and unkind/heated arguments occur. The hosts end up pulling the post. Just something to keep in mind that the negative reaction on such a post is just as useless as the off-color statement in the first place.

Kings girl what are you doing using OSAP for a vacation!! Thats OK if you have been working hard at school treat your self to a break. What school do you attend!

We are from Waterloo and we have take or boys on several cruise. They, one of them has also taken one with some college friends.

I don't suggest you do what some are talking about and skip out on tipping, a lot are in the same position as you students and if they work for the money PAY THEM!!!

A couple of things to save money.

Drive down to Florida to get you cruise. You can easily drive from Toronto to Miami 24 hour straight! With a couple of friends on problem. That way you can include a nite or two before or after.

Pay your sea pass with cash, don't let them down load on to a credit card as it can run up pretty quick.

Before you go have an idea of what islands you are stopping at and decide what you want to sea. A cheap beach day at a lot of ports is easy. However treat yourself to one nice day. IE in St Thomas we rented a car for $60 and went to the beach for $5 and went to the mountain top for free. In total the day cost us less than $100 or $25 each.

If you are planning on a lot of beaching, pick up your own umbrella at a WalMart to take with you. Then just leave it on board ship. When going to the beach stop by a store to pick up a few drink before leaving coke beer what every.

Most of all have fun and don't feel the need to spend lots it can add up quick.

I was just wondering if there are any penny pinchers here? So many ppl talk about nice cabins with balcony's, or JS's or floatplane tours...

LOL...I am definitely not one of those ppl. I will probably never get above 3000 room and never spend thousands of $ on excursions! The only way I am going on a cruise next summer is that I am using my gov't assistance for school (we call it OSAP) that I have tiresly saved.

I just was curious if there were other ppl out there who were the same as me, and just happy to have a place on board and able to witness any of this stuff in the first place.

No offence to those who can amply afford their cruise - you're blessed!

I'm Canadian, you're probably American, no worries.

I'm here on bursary's and money that I have to pay back with insane interest. It's not like I'm getting this for free. In 3 years I'll be up to my ears in debt that I can't bankrupt away.

I would venture that the OP is from Ontario Canada (OSAP = Ontario Student Assistance Program) and she states that she is using her gov't assistance for schooling - not to be too harsh but that is why it is called what it is called. I am not aware of a parallel program called OCAP (Ontario Cruising Assistance Program)

You would not have qualified for it if you had not shown a need for it to pay for your schooling. The question you need to ask now that you see that you will not need all of it in addition to your other sources of income is if a cruise is the best use of your extra cash or should you concentrate on paying back your OSAP loans as quickly as possible.

I think that the majority of us cruise as much as we do because we are not in school, we have jobs/careers or are retired and have spent our life balancing the pros and cons of debt and otehr expeditures with the pleasures that cruising and other past times can provide to us.

Good luck as you try to figure out the best balance between these and other life decisions in the future.

I didn't say that I wasn't using any of it for schooling so plz do not misquote me! I have already attended and graduated college without osap. I am at university and attempting to fast-track to save money. However, osap does give you more money than you actually need sometimes so I have been pinching pennies to save for a cruise to take my mom on (this is HER dream cruise) for her 65th birthday. Additionally, I am not only using osap money but funds from past savings or summer earnings or inheritance if need be.

I guess I didn't really need to write all that but I just get touchy when ppl judge me - I could have explained better in the opening but I figured ppl wouldn't really care.

Besides, I'm sure other students buy things with their osap money that they do not "need". My sister used to tell me you could tell when the osap came in b/c all of a sudden ppl had new stereos in their room!

Archived