To any penny pinchers...

How many young people ( 18 - 25 age group) feel that they deserve to do great vacations, or live in big houses, drive new vehicles, or spend, spend, spend because they grew up with that stuff? They think their parents had all this their entire life so they figure "I should make $25/hr to start right out of school, I deserve the big expensive house, cars, credit cards, fancy meals, etc.

Most of the older generation (and I'm not that old) started with nothing and worked/earned their way up the corporate and housing ladder to be able to afford those things (whether through penny pinching, being frugal or just plain luck).

I keep explaining to my teenage son that everything we have his mother and I worked hard for and he will need to do the same. He can't expect to be able to live this lifestyle when he starts out on his own.

Ok, off my soap box. If you look for bargains and plan accordingly you can cruise (or vacation) for a reasonable amount. Just realize that you may not be able to do or have everything that everyone else on the ship has or does (unless you too are willing to pay for it). And remember what's important to one person (like a balcony or penthouse suite) may not be important to another. Oh yeah, tipping/gratutities ARE part of cruising and SHOULD be factored into the cost. You can't skimp on that to save money.

I was just wondering if there are any penny pinchers here? So many ppl talk about nice cabins with balcony's, or JS's or floatplane tours...

LOL...I am definitely not one of those ppl. I will probably never get above 3000 room and never spend thousands of $ on excursions! The only way I am going on a cruise next summer is that I am using my gov't assistance for school (we call it OSAP) that I have tiresly saved.

I just was curious if there were other ppl out there who were the same as me, and just happy to have a place on board and able to witness any of this stuff in the first place.

No offence to those who can amply afford their cruise - you're blessed!

It is a shame that i am paying for some of your cruise. As a taxpayer it is not my desire that you use your educational assistance for a cruise. Maybe we, the citizens of the US should take a serious look at educational assistance if this is what it is used for.

It is a shame that i am paying for some of your cruise. As a taxpayer it is not my desire that you use your educational assistance for a cruise. Maybe we, the citizens of the US should take a serious look at educational assistance if this is what it is used for.

You might want to go back and read the entire thread so that you know that this person is not from the U.S so your tax dollars are not paying for her cruise.;)

How many young people ( 18 - 25 age group) feel that they deserve to do great vacations, or live in big houses, drive new vehicles, or spend, spend, spend because they grew up with that stuff? They think their parents had all this their entire life so they figure "I should make $25/hr to start right out of school, I deserve the big expensive house, cars, credit cards, fancy meals, etc.

Most of the older generation (and I'm not that old) started with nothing and worked/earned their way up the corporate and housing ladder to be able to afford those things (whether through penny pinching, being frugal or just plain luck).

I keep explaining to my teenage son that everything we have his mother and I worked hard for and he will need to do the same. He can't expect to be able to live this lifestyle when he starts out on his own.

Ok, off my soap box. If you look for bargains and plan accordingly you can cruise (or vacation) for a reasonable amount. Just realize that you may not be able to do or have everything that everyone else on the ship has or does (unless you too are willing to pay for it). And remember what's important to one person (like a balcony or penthouse suite) may not be important to another. Oh yeah, tipping/gratutities ARE part of cruising and SHOULD be factored into the cost. You can't skimp on that to save money.

was there a pint you were trying to make?

"How many young people (snip) figure 'I should make $25/hr to start right out of school, I deserve the big expensive house, cars, credit cards, fancy meals, etc.'"

Well, I graduated in the midst of a depression, good jobs "hard to get, etc. Didn't we all? That story seems to run in the papers every year!:)

The truth is that one can do almost anything travelwise with a bit of planning, a willingness to save for it, and an eye for REAL bargains. Our family of five has been to Europe together twice for less than comparable trips would have cost within the USA. Just needed to watch the air fares, book less-expensive "Motel 6"-style hotels, and otherwise "live" like the locals do - in the cheap seats. Nothing better than enjoying a giant slice of pizza and a bottle of chianti for dinner at Trevi Fountain on a warm Roman evening.

For the SECOND TIME. :mad:

I AM CANADIAN. NOT AMERICAN ...

I pay it all back plus insane taxes. No need to judge me. It's not a free ride.

You might want to go back and read the entire thread so that you know that this person is not from the U.S so your tax dollars are not paying for her cruise.;)

Thank you for actually reading the thread before posting! You rock!!:D :D :D

Some things for you to understand...

Lots of those people who cruise so many times are travel agents who by nature of their profession need to be acquainted with the cruising scene.

Lots of those people who cruise so many times are senior citizens with grown children who are no longer dependant on them.

Lots of those people who cruise so many times are spending their children's inheritance at their children's insistance.

Lots of those people in suites are taking their families with them and with some good money management they can find accomodations that are more economical than taking 2 or 3 smaller cabins. Of course the families have to be compatible.

We were married 27 years before we took our first cruise....and married 15 years before we took a vacation of any kind...

So...be patient...someday your list will be as long as some of those people who cruise. You have a good attitude and I'm sure you'll be cruising for years to come.

excuse me point you were trying to make?

I am going to guess at the point. The OP is a student that has mentioned that she is using OSAP (student loans) to pay for her cruise. She has this money left over because she scrimped along the way and likely earned extra cash too.

I had mentioned earlier in this thread that one of the reasons many of us cruise as often as we do is because we have careers and have made choices between paying off debt and going further in/staying in debt to pay for a cruise. I did not go on a cruise when I was in university. My first (I paid for it myself) vacation was much later in life.

Anyone can do the math and figure out that if you have money left over at the end of schooling or just at the end of the month and you are in debt, you can either spend it on a want (rather than a need) and the cost of that item (stereo, cruise, etc) is the cash price plus the interest on the loan that went unpaid. Of course, the benefit may also be higher than the dollar value if you "needed" the want to just carry on with life because of all of the stress, etc.

Teenagers and early career individuals will need to either learn from a textbook, their parents or by experience that all of the good things in life that we pay for on their behalf while they are under our care are not free when they are paying for them on their own. Presumably the OP knows this full and well.

To the OP, yes, you have the right to spend your leftover assistance however you want including on a cruise. But I have to say, I am Canadian, and I think there is something wrong with the overall OSAP system if someone has money leftover while others presumably did not receive enough to have the option to go to post-secondary school. The fact that the system is screwed up is not your fault. You are only responsible for your choices of what to do with the money that you have left over.

So, in a rambling and non-linear way, my suggestions for penny pinching (and taking more cruises in the future) is to delay instant gratification in favour of paying down current debt. The interest on your debt may be the equivalent of a cruise every year in ten years time.

I am going to guess at the point. The OP is a student that has mentioned that she is using OSAP (student loans) to pay for her cruise. She has this money left over because she scrimped along the way and likely earned extra cash too.

I had mentioned earlier in this thread that one of the reasons many of us cruise as often as we do is because we have careers and have made choices between paying off debt and going further in/staying in debt to pay for a cruise. I did not go on a cruise when I was in university. My first (I paid for it myself) vacation was much later in life.

Anyone can do the math and figure out that if you have money left over at the end of schooling or just at the end of the month and you are in debt, you can either spend it on a want (rather than a need) and the cost of that item (stereo, cruise, etc) is the cash price plus the interest on the loan that went unpaid. Of course, the benefit may also be higher than the dollar value if you "needed" the want to just carry on with life because of all of the stress, etc.

Teenagers and early career individuals will need to either learn from a textbook, their parents or by experience that all of the good things in life that we pay for on their behalf while they are under our care are not free when they are paying for them on their own. Presumably the OP knows this full and well.

To the OP, yes, you have the right to spend your leftover assistance however you want including on a cruise. But I have to say, I am Canadian, and I think there is something wrong with the overall OSAP system if someone has money leftover while others presumably did not receive enough to have the option to go to post-secondary school. The fact that the system is screwed up is not your fault. You are only responsible for your choices of what to do with the money that you have left over.

So, in a rambling and non-linear way, my suggestions for penny pinching (and taking more cruises in the future) is to delay instant gratification in favour of paying down current debt. The interest on your debt may be the equivalent of a cruise every year in ten years time.

oh, I still don't really get how someone asking if there there where anymore peny pinchers out there led to a lecture for them but OK thanks for the input

oh, I still don't really get how someone asking if there there where anymore peny pinchers out there led to a lecture for them but OK thanks for the input

I'll say it a different way - I can afford to cruise now because I penny pinched by paying off debt early in life. Call it a lecture or call it a tip on how to afford more cruises over a lifetime than might otherwise have been possible.

I'll say it a different way - I can afford to cruise now because I penny pinched by paying off debt early in life. Call it a lecture or call it a tip on how to afford more cruises over a lifetime than might otherwise have been possible.

that is fine, I disagree with you I think the person deserve a vacation and it sounds like she is being sensible by doing it as cheap as possible. To each there own opinion though.

Some things for you to understand...

Great posts LuckyL, Like the OP, I had wondered the same. We did our first cruise at our 25th and hope to be an example of many of the points you very politely/diplomatically made.

We stretch the dollar until it hollars! :D

No seriously, we don't do new cars or shop at expensive stores, etc. so that makes it a little easier to manage to travel. I shop around for specials to get my hair and my daughters hair done, don't do the nails thing at all. I just don't believe in paying $5 for a $1 item. Shopping for value is a part-time hobby.

I've got the bug lately and are now booked on two ships. The Sensation was a great savings and good deal. Our TA found up a repeat customer discount, (during the week) and we were blessed to get a oceanview near midship. We're a traveling family of 5 (leaving lil one with her sitter) and our cruise is $1,193 for us all. We are driving down to FL to get there to save :eek: airfare.

My next adventure would be to find an affordable CC cruise group trip, we have 4 kids so I'm looking for one that we all can afford to go on next year sometime and not worry about baby sitters, etc. It would be great to try another cl other than Carnival for the experience. But bottom line; who ever gives me the best deal gets the business. :D

We too, like to look for the best deals. That's one reason we switched from disney cruises (which we loved) to RCI. We can watch for deals and go three times in a year for what it costs for one cruise on disney. We did mariner and voyager three times last year and had great deals each time. We only paid $349 each for a week over thanksgiving on voyager going to aruba and labadee on a repo. This thanksgiving we are paying $549 each on explorer for a week. We are a little limited because I am a teacher; otherwise, there are some better deals when I can't get off. We actually got an upgrade on the $349 cruise on top of the price! I constantly check to see if the price has dropped.

We usually just go on a guarantee, but sometimes, I try to get a balcony corner aft, which is our favorite.

oh, I still don't really

get how someone asking if there there where anymore peny pinchers out there led to a lecture for them but OK thanks for the input

I don't believe that anyone was intending to lecture....However, in addition to asking for other penny pinchers, the OP mentioned hearing people talk of nice cabins, float-tours.....and it sounded as though she were envious. The point being....that most of us did not take cruise vacations in our 20's....we pinched our pennies to pay for baby sitters when we wanted to go to a movie....or we didn't go.

Just a sign of the times....

I don't believe that anyone was intending to lecture....However, in addition to asking for other penny pinchers, the OP mentioned hearing people talk of nice cabins, float-tours.....and it sounded as though she were envious. The point being....that most of us did not take cruise vacations in our 20's....we pinched our pennies to pay for baby sitters when we wanted to go to a movie....or we didn't go.

Just a sign of the times....

I did not at all read that in her post, I think a lot older people get bitter sometimes if younger people are able to things they were not able to. In fact I will be willing to bet there are a lot of things you are able to do that your parents were not.... sign of the times. It is a different world now than it was years ago.

Lots of those people who cruise so many times are spending their children's inheritance at their children's insistance.

As our favorite financial columnist often points out, it's their money, not their children's:D !

I did not at all read that in her post, I think a lot older people get bitter sometimes if younger people are able to things they were not able to. In fact I will be willing to bet there are a lot of things you are able to do that your parents were not.... sign of the times. It is a different world now than it was years ago.

I don't think it's a matter of bitterness at all. I think there is a mentality that "it's ok to borrow to get what I want, and I'll deal with paying it back when I can" and there another mentality that says, "avoid debt at all costs." That's not just a generation gap, but also a matter of how one grew up and learned to deal with money. My ideal is somewhere in between - use debt wisely and always have a plan to pay it back before you incur it. It reads to me like the OP has that idea, too.

This was pretty much my point (delay instant gratification). Just because a person wants to take their parent or family or whoever on a vacation or feels they deserve the vacation dosen't mean they can do it without the necessary resources available.

Looking for bargains, penny pinching, etc all makes sense. It's how most of us are able to do things or make ends meet.

One of the best ways to save money is to get the cheapest price for the room on the cruise of your choice. We sail twice a year and I always ask people who they booked with and then we compare which service provides the cheapest rates. Maybe it was a fluke, it cewrtainly isn't scientific, but more often than not the best deals seem to be at *****.com. At least you can check them out.

Sometimes I feel like I am the only one who HAS to book an inside cabin. If I want to cruise, then it's inside for me.

You are most definitely not alone my friend! My husband and I are taking our first cruise, and it's for our 20th wedding anniversary, but due to finances being what they are, we're booking an inside cabin. We have a "Guaranteed N" cabin, which is hilarious because it guarantees we can't go any lower, right? Well, there ISN'T any lower! I mean, unless they want to bunk us with the staff, I suppose that might be one deck down or something...

We are hoping that we will get an upgrade, but I have read here that those hopes may not be fulfilled. We'll have a good time anyway! ;)

I'm just afraid that I'll have panic attacks in the inside cabin :eek:, so I'm going to get something from my doctor before we go in case I have one.

But we couldn't afford to pay for the window! :D

You are most definitely not alone my friend! My husband and I are taking our first cruise, and it's for our 20th wedding anniversary, but due to finances being what they are, we're booking an inside cabin. We have a "Guaranteed N" cabin, which is hilarious because it guarantees we can't go any lower, right? Well, there ISN'T any lower! I mean, unless they want to bunk us with the staff, I suppose that might be one deck down or something...

We are hoping that we will get an upgrade, but I have read here that those hopes may not be fulfilled. We'll have a good time anyway! ;)

I'm just afraid that I'll have panic attacks in the inside cabin :eek:, so I'm going to get something from my doctor before we go in case I have one.

But we couldn't afford to pay for the window! :D

Horn - If you're like most of us, the time actually spent in your cabin is minimal! There's just so much to see and do on the ship and in the ports! Just consider it a cozy little sleeping area, and hopefully you'll be just fine as far as the panic attacks are concerned. If there are a lot of mirrors in the cabin, that will also help because it gives the illusion of more space.

Have a fabulous first cruise! My first one was in August and I'm now addicted! Land vacations just don't have the same appeal to me anymore! :D

Kingsgirl-I think it's great that you want to take your mom on a nice vacation-school IS stressful and there are somethings that you really can't put a price on (ie, time with family-as morbid as it is, you never really know what can happen, and you should always value the time you have with family)

And to everyone else, who seems to be bent on judging her, esp due to her age and student loans, I would have to defend her, as you have very limited on the information you have about her own personal situation-people come to these boards to get advice, not to be judged at their own personal decisions.

I graduated in college last year-a year early (and fantastic grades), with less than $8k in loans (my parents paid half my rent throughout college, that was the only help I got as my car was already paid off) by working 2-3 jobs, and help with credit cards...well now, less than one year later, my loans are almost gone and my debt is very low with a fantastic credit score. And yes I had to learn about debt and the cosequences, but I learned very quickly. I work hard at my job, and can pay for a nice vacation every year for myself (no mommy and daddy bank here), since I was 20. Not because I am taking on senseless debt, but because I money manage and save. EVERYTHING-on haircuts, food, gas, etc. So kingsgirl-here's what I do (a 22 yr old female w/ a job fresh out of college in 05)

1)I LOVE coupons, great way to save-my friends usually just give them to me from sunday papers, so I don't have to buy the sunday papers.

2)I get high class haircuts and highlights from my local Aveda salon teaching school-their students usually go on to very nice salons, and the bargains are totally unbeatable, and I'm always very satisfied with the results-same as a place where you would pay at least $50 for a haircut. Also ask around at nice salons if they need hair models for new stylists for haircuts/color-costs are minimal or even free.

3)I never buy full price-always wait on a sale, go online, sometimes it's cheaper and you can usually find coupon codes for sites if you google their name.

4)I RARELY ever eat out-thats the biggest waste of money to me, and I love to cook anyways.

5)Auto insurance and gas-my company gives auto ins discounts, and there are different websites where you can look and see where they have lower prices in your area.

6)I save and pick up ALL change I see-even pennies. They add up very quickly.

7)bargain shop for a TA-thats how I ended up with mine (aside from comparing costs, they usually can throw in free extras, if possible). I did book an inside guarantee, but I'd rather spend the $$ on excursions, as the cruise I am going to is very port intesive-so there won't be a lot of time spent within the room.

8)If you impulse buy (I know I do it too, esp with shoes) and a few days later, you realize you don't need it, don't be embaressed to return it. Most stores, as long as you don't have a lengthy history of returning and stuff isn't worn, have no problem taking back merchandise.

9)Don't be embaressed to get items from neighborhood garage sales. If you live in a big city, check out sales in "nicer" neighborhoods-they usually have fantastic bargains, and some new things with tags on them that were never used. (I got an amazing hardly ever used stainless steel cooking set at one for $25)

10. Plan your cruise WAY in advance-mine isn't till next summer. I only put the initial deposit on a credit card, the rest I make a "monthly" payment on it, so it's not a big shocker, nor will it load up the credit card. It's a lot more managable and easier on your debt load.

I think that's it for now. :-) I'm very excited for my cruise (this is my first) next summer, and good luck saving up on everything-it's totally a huge challenge, but VERY worth it when you get to relax and get away for a while.

Archived