rememberances of things past

m steve

I firmly believe in standing up to the bean counters at X when it is called for.

Well than perhaps you can rally your troops as you seem to have a rather large following. But don't make it about the alcohol/wine issue - that is only what got some of you thinking about the bigger issues that are out there. Its been a long time coming but perhaps the revolution is here!!

It might be fun to know what posters do, or did, in their professional life to get an idea of where some of the 'business sense' spouted here comes from.

I will answer your question. My husband has a PhD in Organic Chemistry from Yale University and also holds a JD in law. He is the former director of the New York City Forensic Lab and has been a college professor and forensic science consultant since he retired from being a lab director. I have a masters degree from New York University and owned a real estate appraisal firm for many years. When my husband's mother became incapacitated from Alzheimer's Disease, I retired to manage her care.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

How many here remember the good old days of the Meridan to Bermuda? Miss those days! Last cruise on her before she was sold we had the penthouse suite with the skylights. OH MY G! Talk about butler service! It was awsome! Glad she sank though instead of being scrapped.

And one of the Captain's told me about a year ago that a pretty much intact lifeboat had surfaced and washed ashore about a 100 miles from where she sank. Strange, huh?

SS, Ahh, the academic life. Is that why you edit EVERY post???

Last year a passenger- George Smith apparently fell off his balcony after a heavy night of drinking. The Smiths were on their honeymoon aboard RCI's Brilliance of the Seas. Royal Carib. settled out of court with the widow.

Now, I am sure their legal department has advised that they buckle down on drinking in general and apparently the Smiths were drinking their own illegal (not allowed in the US) alcohol.

However, Celebrity has always forbidden carryon alcohol. Now they are insisting that only wine purchased through Celebrity is free for corkage- while other wine delivered to the stateroom but purchased by the travel agent or outside company is subject to a $ 25.00 corkage fee. This is obviously to promote packages supplied by Celebrity and to discourage people from smuggling and/or using outside vendors.

I say who cares? But others feel this is SOOO UNNFAAIR!!

Unless there are major changes in my overall customer satisfaction- I am sticking with Celebrity. I'll let you know next year after my Century and MIll. cruises.

Thanks Rebeccalouise.

I am a bit bored with this whole corkage saga now but thats probably cos a bottle of vino could easily last me a week. Even so I think people are just going to have to accept it. If you dont like it dont sail with them. I dont think the mighty X will care much. From what I can see there are plenty of others waiting to take your place. JMO

Do you do anything besides posting at CC? I find if I can find 3-5 things to comment on it's a lot and half are usually deleted as I get carried away at times as you have read. This is not a snide remark but how do you have the time to cruise and write all that stuff?:)

We wil be going on our 8th cruise with Celebrity next month on the Zenith. Our first cruise was on the Galaxy back in 2001. It was our all time favorite curise but cost 1300 dollar for an outside cabin at the end of the cruise season. Next month we will cruise on the Zenith in an outside cabin for less than 1000 dollars. I will gladly give up a few nicities to be able to cruise 3 time a year. The food is still great, service it great. We can you go for a nicer vacation experence for the money?

Rollie

Some people will never 'get it' about standing up and speaking your mind. They are the ones who continue to take what ever is handed them and if they don't like it, will quietly go on their way. For some reason they have been taught or led to believe that they have no 'rights'. To them, a big company has all the power.

Thank goodness there are others who WILL stand up and speak their piece if they feel an injustice or just a bad decision is taking place. We will never convert these people to stand up and speak so those of us who are willing to put ourselves out there will just have to continue to carry the load.

I spoke my mind - sent my email and got my reply from Celebrity .... what is your next round in this battle? It sounds like it's almost at the martrydom stage with so few carrying the load for the rest of the slackers. Let me know when it's time to reload the ammunition :)

Some people will never 'get it' about standing up and speaking your mind.

I will stand up and speak my mind for causes that I feel warrant it.

They are the ones who continue to take what ever is handed them and if they don't like it, will quietly go on their way. For some reason they have been taught or led to believe that they have no 'rights'.

I think that some people who quietly go their way probably enjoy a lot more peace in their lives as they have learned which 'battles are worth fighting.' I have been known to be relentless when pursuing a cause I believe in.

To them, a big company has all the power.

As a non board member and a non shareholder, what power does one have - other than voting with their wallets, or sending a letter to express their disagreement or disappointment with changes?

Thank goodness there are others who WILL stand up and speak their piece if they feel an injustice or just a bad decision is taking place.

Yes, all of those who are passionate about reducing the $25. corkage fee and/or having an acceptable "BYOB" policy will appreciate not being alone in their cause.

We will never convert these people to stand up and speak so those of us who are willing to put ourselves out there will just have to continue to carry the load.

It's hard to convert people when they don't have the same level of passion for, or belief in the cause. If you are carrying the load, it is because you choose to do so.... I haven't seen any requests asking for volunteers to take up the cause (other than the one you posted asking us to send emails.... as many of us did.)

And just to sum up .... I am disappointed in the new alcohol policy as I would like to occasionally bring wine on board from a port to drink at dinner and would prefer a $15. C.F.. I was able to accept the logic in their email response (other than the fact that there are "official" rules and "unofficial" ones). I will not be 'writing them off' as a cruise option, unless they change to the point where they no longer meet our needs and/or wants. We have greatly enjoyed our 3 Celebrity cruises so far - and expect the Xpedition one to be every bit as enjoyable as I have heard it described from previous cruisers.

FYI,

I am posting this message on several boards discussing similar issues:

just had a calm, fair, concerned and fully satisfying phone conversation with Ms. Jayme Porkolab, Customer Relations Director, about the corkage fee increase and other customer relations issues (both positive and negative). I felt that I was heard and that my concerns would be shared with the appropriate excutives. She indicated that she was tracking customer responses about the more than 60% increase in corkage fees and they would be shared at the monthly meetings about such issues. No promises, of course, but an excellent example of excellent customer service - the type that I expect from Celebrity.

As I've posted before, I believe it is important to share your concerns/issues in a thoughtful and problem-solving way in the hope of receiving a like response. I encourage anyone else who feels strongly about this (or any issue) to forward your communication to Ms Porkolab.

And one of the Captain's told me about a year ago that a pretty much intact lifeboat had surfaced and washed ashore about a 100 miles from where she sank. Strange, huh?

Is your question meant to be an EDITorial?

Guest LoveMyBoxer

I'm sorry, were you asking me that question about editing? Have no clue what you're talking about.

Hi Tuggers - As a someone new to cruising I too am dismayed to see the downward slide of X, which I had been led to try based on their advertising. Have one cruise to South America coming up on Infinity and a second one booked for the Panama Canal next year, but I'm busy checking out Oceania as an alternative for the Canal cruise. Oceania costs more up front but more is included and they seem to understand that some people are seeking a more luxurious experience than the mass market lines can offer. Meanwhile, keep on speaking your mind - it may seem like you're outnumbered on these boards but I see more and more posters who are coming to terms with the fact that X is moving in the wrong direction and would like to see it change.

Tuggers has always been fair with her comments about Celebrity. In reading these boards there are many examples of the downward trend. It would seem that there is always someone ready to jump on anyone who has a problem or a different opinion. One poster even went so far as to pick apart five or six comments, with their own spin. I believe that more and more cruisers expect more than just being pampered with great service from any cruise line. MHO, is that cruising should be about the overall total value recieved for what you have paid. If Celebrity is going to pull up from this slide it will be people like Tuggers who get the job done, and not those willing to accept anything

Cosmo, there is a rumor that RCI is looking to buy Oceania. It 'could' go the way of X! But I would hope not. Nor do we want RCI's food to take over any other lines!

Superman, things they are a changin' that's for sure. I guess we will just have to wait and see if we are only just beginning with a new attitude or if X will be responsive to passengers and allow it to remain the great product that it is.

Things change... You can either accept change or whine about it.

It seems that whining is the preference of so many...

I don't call standing up for your rights in order to get what you paid for whining.

I would much rather voice my opinion of my displeasure than be accepting of the fact that Celebrity has turned so many of you into a herd of sheep willing to accept any bone that is thrown to them.

Cosmo, there is a rumor that RCI is looking to buy Oceania. It 'could' go the way of X!

To set the record straight this is rumor no longer. Oceania outright rejected RCI's bid and in doing so the spokesman in the press release hinted that Oceania may actually be the hunter and not the hunted!!!

Wow Tuggers, that was a really uncalled for jab at Sky Sweet! I would much rather see someone edit their posts than post a bunch of LOUD comments that might not make as much sense.

And, since you asked: I'm Vice President of a Manufacturing Business Consulting firm with clients throughout the US and Europe. I also sell my stained glass pieces, paintings, and other artwork. In addition, I work with a renowned Native American artist.

What do you do in your professional life, Tuggers?

Terri

Archived