rememberances of things past

m steve

As I sit at my keyboard with a glass of aged Bajan Rum I remember to olden days cruising X having the same drink on my balcony from my carried aboard bottle (they didn't have any old rum on the bars) and looked back at the lovely island as we sailed away and contemplted doing the same at the next port with an even older rum I will buy there and bring aboard and not worry about anyone entering my cabin to snoop, searching my luggage or seeing someone left on the pier with their bags because they violate X's rule.

Well all good things must come to an end. Ho hum!

I have fond memories of drinking a wonderful wine from the Celebrity wine list, recommended by the Sommelier ... something that we may not have tried without her recommendation .... I look forward to that experience again on my next cruise :)

As I sit at my keyboard with a glass of aged Bajan Rum I remember to olden days cruising X having the same drink on my balcony from my carried aboard bottle (they didn't have any old rum on the bars) and looked back at the lovely island as we sailed away and contemplted doing the same at the next port with an even older rum I will buy there and bring aboard and not worry about anyone entering my cabin to snoop, searching my luggage or seeing someone left on the pier with their bags because they violate X's rule.

Well all good things must come to an end. Ho hum!

Well said! So what are we going to do about it? Boycott! Celebrity...and Bermuda! LOL

Seriously, if they are enforcing the alcohol policy, the price of our cruise just shot up substantially. We may seriously consider another line this winter. QM2?

HEY STEVE!!!

YUP...I am as upset as you. The ammenities are sailing away...so to speak. Some of my best memories were on the CENTURY...in the Penthouse Suite...with my personal collection of more than a dozen wines that I had hand picked. (The PH had a butler's pantry with a wine cooler that could hold 3 cases of wine...where do you think all that wine would come from...DAAAH.) The butler brought me 1 bottle...1 BOTTLE!!!...of Scotch. Thank Heavens I brought enough so I could entertain a dozen or so of my friends...and then there was the pitcher of Manhattans on the veranda in the private jacuzzi...AHHH...great memories...but never again. Those days are over.

I think MSC offers a nice cruise experience...the new ships really have improved...and Rick Sasso (formerly the President of Celebrity) is doing a nice job of improving that product. Even RCI gives you the Concierge Lounge...so far...but who knows what will be next as "THE GREED FACTOR" increases...LOL. Oceania is looking better and better...and I heard the owners have turned down a deal from RCI...good for them. Time to look at some other lines. I do believe the time of Celebrity is coming to an end. Someone said that the new mega ships are attracting hordes of pax...and none of them are interested in the finer aspects or the grand traditions etc. I do believe that the "MALL AT SEA" concept of cruising is finally here.

Hope to see you out there Steve...and rest assured...I will invite you in for a cocktail...or a fine bottle of wine.:D

ROSS

Time to look at some other lines. I do believe the time of Celebrity is coming to an end. Someone said that the new mega ships are attracting hordes of pax...and none of them are interested in the finer aspects or the grand traditions etc. I do believe that the "MALL AT SEA" concept of cruising is finally here.

It is here most certainly and Solstice Class clearly indicates that X is on the bandwagon.

I cruise for the traditional experience and that is becoming increasingly more difficult to find.

Malls at sea with casually dressed passengers and extra charges for everything will reduce cruising to a relatively cheap mode of transport to get to a few different ports. Oh, wait, it's already there:mad:

OHHH CAVIAR OHHH MORES!!!

They are celebrating the advent of the SOLSTICE on another thread. I wonder how great it will be...I can picture the following scenario:

5 hour boarding process to check luggage and confiscate personal possessions.

2 hour wait in special line to repurchase confiscated personal items for $25 per bottle.

Periodic cabin searches for "contraband"...with 2 hour lines at customer service to repurchase "contraband" for $25 per bottle.

3 hour dinners due to the time it takes to negotiate and pay for the corkage fees.

Excess hospital bills for pax who are presented with their onboard bills. They will be passing out when they read their statements and find out the onboard charges have exceeded the initial cost of the cruise.

A new and expanded Cova Cafe in the middle of the Horizon Court. The Cova will offer a drinkable cup of coffee "for only" $10.00...$20.00 for the double espresso. Of course the regular Horizon coffee will continue to decline in quality...coincidentally...LOL.

The Horizon Court will also offer an exotic drink bar and sell lemonade for only $10.00 per galss...as the complimentary lemonade, tea and water will be discontinued.

There will be 8 new special tariff restaurants added...and the main ding room will serve a standard menu for lunch and dinner with 5 items that do not change...unless you wish to pay $50 per person for the expanded and changing daily menu...only $30 at lunch. The Horizon Court will expand it's evening offerings for a paltry $25 charge...you can dine in shorts and flip flops.

The highlight of the cruise will be a tropical night on deck with a "pay as you go" buffet and the main dining room will be closed that night.

Spectacular entertainment will be the hallmark of your SOLSTICE cruise...$50 per ticket will allow you into the main showroom. For an additional $150...you can have an orchestra table for 4 and enjoy an expanded cocktail menu with specialty martinis starting at $25 per drink...22% tip extra of course.

Your cabin will have the finest toiletries and towels...of course you will have to pay extra...$15 for designer shampoo and $20 for extra towels.

On days when the tender service is used you will have a chance to use the "Exclusive Executive Tender"...for an additional $150 charge per person you will be whisked to your island via private service that bypasses the regular long line where the Elite members of the Captain's Club will have to wait for you to pass by in your private tender. This does not include your private photo with you and the Captain of the SOLSTICE!!! $50 additional...of course.

WELLLLLLL...you get the picture of what we have to look forward to...after all these years of supporting X!!!:D

They can take all the contraband liquor and wine, most of which they don't stock on the ship and have the Pirates Lounge where they sell it back at upscale prices a drink at a time. Remember it is your safety that concerns them and not profit.Single shots only and they can get those little GIL measurers in Britain. Like the Palm Restaurants, the walls can be drawings of all the law abiding passengers who turn you in.

It is here most certainly and Solstice Class clearly indicates that X is on the bandwagon.

I cruise for the traditional experience and that is becoming increasingly more difficult to find.

Malls at sea with casually dressed passengers and extra charges for everything will reduce cruising to a relatively cheap mode of transport to get to a few different ports. Oh, wait, it's already there:mad:

Hi Caviargal :)

Your post echos a feeling I have posted on several occasions. Celebrity is trying to increase its market share by being all things to all people, which never works. If it no longer delivers the product that it has in the past it will eventually lose its clientele that made it so successful, and be left with those who look for the cheapest price and don't care about quality.

OHHH CAVIAR OHHH MORES!!!

They are celebrating the advent of the SOLSTICE on another thread. I wonder how great it will be...I can picture the following scenario:

5 hour boarding process to check luggage and confiscate personal possessions.

2 hour wait in special line to repurchase confiscated personal items for $25 per bottle.

Periodic cabin searches for "contraband"...with 2 hour lines at customer service to repurchase "contraband" for $25 per bottle.

3 hour dinners due to the time it takes to negotiate and pay for the corkage fees.

Excess hospital bills for pax who are presented with their onboard bills. They will be passing out when they read their statements and find out the onboard charges have exceeded the initial cost of the cruise.

A new and expanded Cova Cafe in the middle of the Horizon Court. The Cova will offer a drinkable cup of coffee "for only" $10.00...$20.00 for the double espresso. Of course the regular Horizon coffee will continue to decline in quality...coincidentally...LOL.

The Horizon Court will also offer an exotic drink bar and sell lemonade for only $10.00 per galss...as the complimentary lemonade, tea and water will be discontinued.

There will be 8 new special tariff restaurants added...and the main ding room will serve a standard menu for lunch and dinner with 5 items that do not change...unless you wish to pay $50 per person for the expanded and changing daily menu...only $30 at lunch. The Horizon Court will expand it's evening offerings for a paltry $25 charge...you can dine in shorts and flip flops.

The highlight of the cruise will be a tropical night on deck with a "pay as you go" buffet and the main dining room will be closed that night.

Spectacular entertainment will be the hallmark of your SOLSTICE cruise...$50 per ticket will allow you into the main showroom. For an additional $150...you can have an orchestra table for 4 and enjoy an expanded cocktail menu with specialty martinis starting at $25 per drink...22% tip extra of course.

Your cabin will have the finest toiletries and towels...of course you will have to pay extra...$15 for designer shampoo and $20 for extra towels.

On days when the tender service is used you will have a chance to use the "Exclusive Executive Tender"...for an additional $150 charge per person you will be whisked to your island via private service that bypasses the regular long line where the Elite members of the Captain's Club will have to wait for you to pass by in your private tender. This does not include your private photo with you and the Captain of the SOLSTICE!!! $50 additional...of course.

WELLLLLLL...you get the picture of what we have to look forward to...after all these years of supporting X!!!:D

Love it!!!!! Though it sounds frighteneningly real...An another addition would be to add a surcharge for those passengers taking a private tour versus a ship shore excursion. The fee would be 50% of the ships advertised price:D Yep, I think our ship has sailed away.....

[quote name=CGTNORMANDIE Oceania is looking better and better...and I heard the owners have turned down a deal from RCI...good for them. Time to look at some other lines. I do believe the time of Celebrity is coming to an end. Someone said that the new mega ships are attracting hordes of pax...and none of them are interested in the finer aspects or the grand traditions etc.

ROSS[/quote]

RCI did buy a Spanish Cruiseline that has two of the R Class ships (from Renaissance). I think there will be a new ( side) of Celebrity in the future that will be of the old tradition. Just MHO!:)

Actually, what you are all describing is the current scenario onboard EasyCruise. The only difference is that Celebrity charges a hearty, full price up front for the cruise then has the gall to do the add-on pricing. CGTNORMANDIE is correct about the medical center filling up when onboard accounts are presented onboard a Celebrity ship.

At least EasyCruise is upfront about "pay us for what you want" and their cruise fares are rock-bottom low.

It seems that Celebrity management has old-timer car company execs who perfected the concept of selling you a car, then running up the price with add-ons.:)

Ruby

With so many cruise lines to choose from, why not move on to another one and give up on Celebrity rather than keep asking, "why can't it be like the old days?" Celebrity has made a decision to change .... and that's their prerogative.

With so many cruise lines to choose from, why not move on to another one and give up on Celebrity rather than keep asking, "why can't it be like the old days?" Celebrity has made a decision to change .... and that's their prerogative.

I wonder if they will look back sometime in the not too distant future and regret making decisions that will cause them to become just another RCI and to alienate their formerly loyal client base?

I surely hope so...

I wonder if they will look back sometime in the not too distant future and regret making decisions that will cause them to become just another RCI and to alienate their formerly loyal client base?

I surely hope so...

I don't think so because they won't alienate all former clients, and will gain new ones.

In the "good old days" a cruise was much more expensive than it is today and was a luxury that most Americans could not afford. The same was true for air travel and full service hotels. When I was growing up my parents never questioned the cost of a flight because it was before the airline industry was deregulated. I can still remember when we dressed up to go to the airport and were treated like royalty during a flight. The level of service at hotels was also completely different when I was a kid as well. Needless to say, it was much easier for these companies to deliver a quality product when they could charge whatever they wanted without being questioned.

However, this brings up an interesting question. Were they really the "good old days" if most Americans could not afford cruises, air travel, or full service luxury hotels?

However, this brings up an interesting question. Were they really the "good old days" if most Americans could not afford cruises, air travel, or full service luxury hotels?

When I was young, we couldn't afford the luxury of expensive travel, but a yearly stay at a rented cottage for a week or two felt like the "trip of a lifetime". They were "good old days" - but I'm happy now to be able to afford more than that and consider these to be "good days" on a different level.

I don't think so because they won't alienate all former clients, and will gain new ones.

IMO, with the competitive nature of the industry, it is more successful to stand out from the pack, as opposed to blend in. Look at the terrific success of Oceania, a line that offers a more upscale experience and keeps their ships full with passengers sick of tired of the mass market experience.

X may attract new passenger but they will be the same passengers as all the other mass market lines attract, because they will have lost their "personality" and the differentiation it provides.

They will have the same issues with rampant dress code decline, drunks on board, kids running rampant, etc. They will, in short, be indistinguishable from every other me-too cruise line.

Susan, I am not sure how long you have been cruising, but it's been 41 years for me and what I see X is choosing the way of RCI in lowering their standards to attract a group of potential passengers they will most likely not even want.

IMO, with the competitive nature of the industry, it is a more successful strategy to try stand out from the pack, as opposed to blend in with everyone else. Look at the terrific success of Oceania, a line that offers a more upscale experience and keeps their ships full with passengers sick of tired of the mass market experience. Many former X fans have gravitated to Oceania and more will continue as X shapes their image to conform with the rest: bigger ships carrying more passengers with increased ala carte revenue opportunities to offset lower per diems.

X may attract new passenger but they will be the same passengers as all the other mass market lines attract, because they will have lost their "personality" and the differentiation it provides.

They will have the same issues with rampant dress code decline, drunks on board, kids running rampant, etc. They will, in short, be indistinguishable from every other me-too cruise line.

Susan, I am not sure how long you have been cruising, but it's been 41 years for me and what I see X is choosing the way of RCI in lowering their standards to attract a group of potential passengers they will most likely not even want.

what I see X is choosing the way of RCI in lowering their standards to attract a group of potential passengers they will most likely not even want.

Passengers they won't want, or you won't want to be on board with? I don't think they make these decisions lightly.

If Celebrity lowers its standards, I'll stop sailing it. Businesses change to meet the demands of the market and with as much choice as there is out there, I'm not too worried about Celebrity's changes.

It seems to me that it comes down to the same thing. If you dislike the rules or changes occurring on Celebrity ships perhaps it is time to move on to a different lne. with all do respect, the OP seems to have quite a few issues with celebrity. The best way to make your feelings known is to spend your money on a product that offers what you want! isn't it wonderful that we have so many choices.

Archived