your thoughts on dress vs casual pants

MrsMoose2001

Hi Ladies,

Ok, I would genuinely like your thoughts on what you feel the difference is between dress and casual pants.

No flames please, I'm not talking about formal wear for a cruise or cruise wear. Let's think just in general terms on land.

Let's remove, jeans, capris, shorts, anything torn and/or dirty, and even chinos and cords.

I'm talking about a pair of black pants, say microfiber or wool (for those in colder climates)

What makes them "dressy vs casual" in your opinion.

Of course there are "evening pants" from crepe or velvet, but I'm not referring to that.

Take a pair of well made microfiber or wool pants in black, well fitted, what would be the difference of wearing them in the daytime with a nice blouse, or nice t-shirt/sweater, casual style or , or out for dinner to a nice restaurant with a dressy blouse, beaded twinset or something similar.?

Same thing with a skirt, a basic nice black skirt, can go either casual with a more casual sweater and tights and casual shoes and more dressy (not evening) with say a silk/satin blouse, sheer hose and dressy shoes.

Your thoughts? Let's please keep this fun, this may give some ladies ideas on how to mix and match basics and give options to some.

Casual for me generally implies fabric, length and cut. For daytime or casual wear, I normally choose a cotton, knit or linen blend and wear them with flats or low heeled shoes. In the winter - such that we have in FL - I will wear a gabardine or tropical weight wool trouser, and I prefer them lined.

Dressier slacks to me are of a longer length to wear with a higher heel boot or shoe, and the cut might be more interesting. The fabric is almost always a tropical weight wool that has great drape. And my dressier slacks might have a more decorative detail on the fabric itself, or the waistband or perhaps even a trim detail of some sort. Oh, and they are almost always black:).

Dressier slacks to me are of a longer length to wear with a higher heel boot or shoe, and the cut might be more interesting. The fabric is almost always a tropical weight wool that has great drape. And my dressier slacks might have a more decorative detail on the fabric itself, or the waistband or perhaps even a trim detail of some sort. Oh, and they are almost always black:).

I'd agree with that.

Also, sometimes detailing can make the difference. For example, a whip-stitched edge - perhaps in leather or wool for example - on a pair of wool flannel would be elegant daytime pants. They'd look great with a cotton blouse or cashmere sweater and a flat shoe or boot.

But the same silhouette done in a wool gabardine or silk and then that same whip-stitched edge done in velvet or lace would make them dressy pants for an evening out. These would be even dressier looking with a silk blouse and a pair of evening shoes like velvet or satin ballerina flats or high heels or delicate boots.

For me the difference is color and accessories.

First, let's assume I'm wearing a pair of black pants and a black turtleneck.

For day, I'll run around with a pair of trainers on and a pair of stud earrings and my Prada messenger bag, hair down.

To take that to night time, I'll change into a pair of kick ass stilettos, put my hair up, huge big sparkly earings, and carry a sparkly clutch.

This look can be pulled off with inexpensive pants and turtleneck but your accessories must be top of the line.

I do agree that it is easier to dress up clothes the nicer they are and the better they are constructed.

For me the difference is color and accessories.

First, let's assume I'm wearing a pair of black pants and a black turtleneck.

For day, I'll run around with a pair of trainers on and a pair of stud earrings and my Prada messenger bag, hair down.

To take that to night time, I'll change into a pair of kick ass stilettos, put my hair up, huge big sparkly earings, and carry a sparkly clutch.

This look can be pulled off with inexpensive pants and turtleneck but your accessories must be top of the line.

I do agree that it is easier to dress up clothes the nicer they are and the better they are constructed.

Hmmm....only in some cases is this true. For example, right now I'm wearing a pair of casual lightweight wool pants. The legs are straight, but a bit wide (kind of a chino's style done in wool) so they work well with my lug soled Gucci loafers or my flat heeled riding style boots. My top a cable knit cotton TN sweater. (i'm feeling like an Eddie Bauer ad! LOL!)

I'm going out to dinner tonight and there's no way I could wear these with a silky blouse and a pair of heels. It would be so "off". The leg's too wide and short for heels and the fabric's not "urban enough" for my top. (if that makes sense) I'm switching to a pair of microfiber pants and a "kick ass" high heeled boot and funky Dolce & Gabbana top - everything in black, of course! :)

However, if I was wearing a pair of tight black jeans with a flare leg, then what you're saying would absolutely work.

Hmmm....only in some cases is this true. For example, right now I'm wearing a pair of casual lightweight wool pants. The legs are straight, but a bit wide (kind of a chino's style done in wool) so they work well with my lug soled Gucci loafers or my flat heeled riding style boots. My top a cable knit cotton TN sweater. (i'm feeling like an Eddie Bauer ad! LOL!)

I'm going out to dinner tonight and there's no way I could wear these with a silky blouse and a pair of heels. It would be so "off". The leg's too wide and short for heels and the fabric's not "urban enough" for my top. (if that makes sense) I'm switching to a pair of microfiber pants and a "kick ass" high heeled boot and funky Dolce & Gabbana top - everything in black, of course! :)

However, if I was wearing a pair of tight black jeans with a flare leg, then what you're saying would absolutely work.

Picky picky picky. Of course we are talking about ME wearing the most PERFECTLY FABULOUS pair of black pants.

Silly. How on earth could you have overlooked that?

LOL!:D

(which at the moment I am not because I am wearing the most perfectly pair of fabulous charcoal grey microfiber pants; I was in the mood for color instead of my normal black)

Picky picky picky. Of course we are talking about ME wearing the most PERFECTLY FABULOUS pair of black pants.

Silly. How on earth could you have overlooked that?

LOL!:D

You're right. I'm going back to my corner now. How could I have overlooked all that??????????

I love this thread. DH does not understand why I have at least 10 pairs of black pants in the closet-everthing from jeans to velvet and tuxedo style pants. He doesn't get the leg width, belt/no belt, heel height, fabric, drape, cut issues. It is the same thing with numerous pairs of black shoes and sandals. Not all black shoes work with all black pants. I go on a cruise and generally take 2-3 pairs of those pants along with appropriate tops and it simplifies the packing and the accessories issues. I just ordered a new pair of silk, drawstring pants in, you guessed it, black.

I've always loved black, I'll never forget when I was about 10 or 12, I wore a black skirt, black turtleneck, black shoes and a black leather jacket (I took that from my mom). She said I was too young to wear all black, but I wore it anyway. Now I would wear only black, but I can't take the heat in the car even with the a/c on full blast in the summer when it's hitting my leg in black pants.

My DH says, my colors are black, black and white, white and black and black and black. LOL

I can relate to you even if your DH can't Straguhn

Only 10???

Start shopping! :D

I am talking about the "active" closet, not the one where the off season clothes are stored. What he doesn't see, he doesn't think about...

Nor does that count all the pantsuits that have black pants. Believe me, my closet is a sea of black.

Archived