Does my 17 year old son need to wear a suit?

Scott1990

Another point, as stated above that why not teach these young men to dress up while young, it teaches them respect. My husband when he was 18 owned 5 suits, he learned at a early age that looking respectable was important. When it came time to get our first house loan, etc. he didnt question wearing a suit. Infact he would not even pierce his ears, due to being in buisness situations were this would not be respected. My Husband just celebrated his 30th birthday, and well he got his ears pierced, why, because now at 30 he owns over 4 million dollars worth of property and no longer needs to worry about impressing others. However he still enjoys dressing up. By the way, one of the reasons we got were we are, is by not throwing away money (ie: renting), invest in stead.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

And tux look just plain silly on children.... And before the bashing I wore a suit to school from age 8 on. My 10 year old will dress appropriately for dinner every night. The hilight of their last cruise were the meals each night and how nice they were.

A nice dark suit for a teenager will be much more handy and important well into the future (weddings, funerals, job interviews, semi-formals....).

Having 2 sons (now older), this is how I see it. If you have not bought anything yet, buy a suit or blazer or sport jacket, whichever he will have more use out of, and whichever he prefers. He must feel that he looks COOL! (When my kids were young I regarded these things as interchangeable.) The most important thing is that he feels good about himself and wears a smile. Forcing him to wear something he doesn't like and suffering through an unhappy meal would be the worst scenario!

If he already owns a blazer and has no further use for a suit in the near future (he is growing), I would let him wear the blazer without hesitation.

An idea...we took one son on a cruise when he was 17. He wore my DH's old tux jacket with a white shirt and I bought him a blue velvet bow tie in the ship's boutique. I know the next bit of info will horrify some readers, but he wore this with BLACK JEANS!!! He looked adorable. And, yes, there was a young girl at our table and she went for the outfit! (Sorry...but her approval was MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than the approval of any poster on Cruise Critic!

Okay then...the answer to the original poster's question can be found on Celebrity's website....

Formal Night Attire

Ladies: Evening gown or fancy dress

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit

I do think the op actually wanted cc opinion, though.

I consider my 15 year old a "gentleman" and I would imagine the orginal poster considers her 17 year old a "gentelman" as well.

Oh, and we just saved ANOTHER $100- on tux rental for homecoming this Sat. night by once again using our e-bay tux:D

The original poster just wanted to know if her son could wear a blazer and tie for formal night.

Yes, they will look nice in a tux- no disagreement there. But the question was about whether or not it was ok not to wear one.

The answer is YES.

If the question is can he get away with wearing a blazer the answer is probably yes. If the question is whether it's OK, the answer is no.

And tux look just plain silly on children.... .

What??????

A tux looks good on any man at any age.

On my last cruise (which happened to be Carnival) a family of three were seated near us and their child was about 2. He was dressed in a tux on both formal nights and he was GORGEOUS!

He wasn't only gorgeous, he was extremely well behaved, which of course made him even more adorable. :D

We can talk about exactly what the dress codes says, but what's important is what is practiced. It's like telling a new driver to drive at the speed limit in the left lane because that's what the law is. Usually, you'll see most teenagers in dark suits or jacket and tie. So either is acceptable.

I think it's funny that the same people who complain about no one adhering to the dress code will also insist that you'll feel out of place if you don't follow it to the letter.:rolleyes:

What??????

A tux looks good on any man at any age.

On my last cruise (which happened to be Carnival) a family of three were seated near us and their child was about 2. He was dressed in a tux on both formal nights and he was GORGEOUS!

He wasn't only gorgeous, he was extremely well behaved, which of course made him even more adorable. :D

Personally, I think a 2 year old would look ridiculous in a tux. People seem to feel this is an "old school", classy sort of thing, but, in reality, not so long ago a well-dressed small boy would not yet have even graduated into long pants. I also hate to see very young girls all dressed up with makeup, ready to enter a child beauty pageant.

First of all renting a tux is a waste of money, when as allready stated above by atleast 2 other posters, you can get a tux off ebay (or elseware) for the same price or cheaper as renting. If he grows out of it, so what,sell it, or give it away, you would be throwing money away if just rent one. You can also buy nice suits for very reasonable, you just need to look.

For my sister in laws wedding we all put deposites on tuxes, then found them at a local store for $99, this was half of what we were going to pay for a rental. And now my husband can were it cruising.

Another point, as stated above that why not teach these young men to dress up while young, it teaches them respect. My husband when he was 18 owned 5 suits, he learned at a early age that looking respectable was important. When it came time to get our first house loan, etc. he didnt question wearing a suit. Infact he would not even pierce his ears, due to being in buisness situations were this would not be respected. My Husband just celebrated his 30th birthday, and well he got his ears pierced, why, because now at 30 he owns over 4 million dollars worth of property and no longer needs to worry about impressing others. However he still enjoys dressing up. By the way, one of the reasons we got were we are, is by not throwing away money (ie: renting), invest in stead.

Dont just make you kids do it, Teach your boys, with purpose! They will be greatful you did!

I must be feeling particularly grumpy tonight, but this makes no sense to me.:eek: It seems to me that you're saying that dressing up is only for the purpose of sucking up, not for showing respect, as it can be discarded as soon as one has enough money.

Personally, I think a 2 year old would look ridiculous in a tux. People seem to feel this is an "old school", classy sort of thing, but, in reality, not so long ago a well-dressed small boy would not yet have even graduated into long pants. I also hate to see very young girls all dressed up with makeup, ready to enter a child beauty pageant.

Having a little boy in a tux is not anything like dressing a little girl up like poor Jon Benet....apples and oranges.

You said a two year old 'would' look ridiculous in a tux, which makes it sound as if you haven't seen one in a tux. Maybe if you had you'd feel differently.

I saw this child, I watched him sit at the table and eat food for nearly 2 hours and never make a peep except to smile once in a while and giggle, so obviously the tux wasn't uncomfortable to him. He also loved all the attention he got from wearing it. The child was only 2 and was already charming.

My goodness, "not so long ago a well-dressed small boy would not yet have even graduated into long pants", how old are you? :D I am 55, and not in my life time have little boys still wore short pants until their teens. I think that went out of style in the 1940's or earlier. I have a pictue of my father in knickers when he's about 12.

A little boy in a suit or tux is adorable, and isn't creepy in the least.

We can talk about exactly what the dress codes says, but what's important is what is practiced. It's like telling a new driver to drive at the speed limit in the left lane because that's what the law is.

There are instances that cruise critic members have actually seen people turned away from the dining room and shows who were not following the dress code.

Using your driver example, it would be the same as telling the new driver that he/she can drive faster than the speed limit in the left lane because everyone does it - but how do you explain it when they are the ones that get caught for speeding? A rule is a rule - it is up to the individual to follow - but to say that you don't have to worry about not following it because "everyone doesn't follow it" is dangerous. I would hate for the new cruiser, asking about the dress code and being told it doesn't matter, be the one "caught" and turned away.

As far as a 17 year old goes, I feel that at that age they should abide by the dress codes. They are in the last year or so of school and soon will be entering the adult world. A suit always makes a good impression for a job interview, even if its just a summer job.

Our 18 month old on QEII. We did take his jacket off, but he was a big hit! It WAS back in 1981, but he has wonrn MANY tuxes since then!

How could anyone think that was anything less than spectacularly adorable?? :D

Thats great, I have three boys and they have been on several cruises with us. We got suits the first time then as they got older started to get their own fashion taste.

The cruise line has to be carefully as you can get a suit or tux any time. Go to good will!!

From what I have seen on some cruises it looks like they may have picked up something from skid row on the way to the pier.

My point a jacket, tie or tux does not make something formal. To much variety in this day and age.

Thanks!;) He also had a white tux too. The man to the right was my DFIL who adored his grandkids. Sadly he passed away in December. Preparing a memory board for the funeral is how I came accross the photo! Special clothing makes for special memories.:o

Archived