Early Luggage Drop-off = Later Luggage to Your Cabin?

Tom-n-Cheryl

It has been our experience, on several occasions, that when we arrive at the port "later" (say 2 hours prior to 4pm departure) our luggage gets to our room quickly - twice BEFORE we have made it to our cabin!

Conversely, when we arrive early (10-11 am), we find that our bags are among the last to appear in the hall - say 5 ish.

After watching the pallets being hurridly brought onto the ship, it appears that : as the pallets are filled with luggage (early) they are loaded onto the ship towards the back of the hold - other pallets (from later luggage) are then packed up against these, effectively blocking off access to the early luggage until such time as they have worked through most of the later luggage, finally getting to the last (early) luggage... whew... (adding some PERIODS here to make up for the lack of them in this paragraph...:D ).

Perhaps I could give one of the porters a few extra $ to hold our luggage until 2 pm .... and then end up having some of it get LOST...:confused:

I am sure there are exceptions to this, but has anyone else noticed similar luggage arrival timing?

Tom

No. I don't think there's rhyme nor reason for delivery of luggage.

I'm usually checking my luggage in around 11am, and sometimes it's there right after I board, and other times, not till after dinner.

I've also checked it in around 1:30pm, and it was there before dinner.

Last cruise, a friend had a cabin across the hall from mine....we checked our luggage in at the same time. I had both pieces of mine before dinner. She had one piece - the other wasn't delivered until after dinner.

No doubt there are exceptions and variations.. but with the data I have collected thus far, I am sticking with my original premise - though several more cruises are in order for me to verify my hypothesis...:D ... it will be hard work, but somebody has to do it...:cool:

Tom

LOL, I will be glad to help you test your hypothesis. We cruise on the Sensation next week and plan to arrive early. I will try to remember to let you know if that appears to have any impact on when we get our luggage. I have a similar hypothesis about luggage on airplanes. First in = last out.

On a similar note, I have to share this story. When I was in college I went on a spring break trip with several friends. A few of us flew, others drove. Those of us who flew checked a bag for one of the friends who was driving since they didn't have room in the car. Wouldn't you know it, his was the VERY FIRST bag off the conveyor when we arrived at our destination. He was so disappointed that he had missed that -- wished his bags would come that fast for flights that he was actually ON. Of course all our other bags that were checked at the same time were far behind. Doesn't say much for my theory, but it's a neat story.

I think you are right--it seems the earlier we are there, the later our luggage arrives.

Once on the Fantasy, we had just one big piece and the hanging suit bag- they both arrived after diiner. Our friends who were in the cabin next to us had theirs by 4pm.

We checked in about 1130am and they checked in about 1pm.

But what I really dont understand is you check your luggage all at the same time and you would think it would be delivered together. We have never had it all arrive at once- sometimes even a 2-3 hour gap. The first time that happened, I was really freaking- it was my suitcase with the majority of my clothes in it for the week--my husbands bags were all there. So I called the pursor's office in a panic lol----it did finally arrive, but after dinner.

I have found this not to be the case. The last two times, I/we were among the first to board, and had the luggage delivered well before 3 pm.

Only one time that not all of the luggage arrived at the same time, and it took an extra couple of hours for the last piece to show up.

It doen't matter when it gets there to me. As long as it gets there. (since it always has I guess it actually has to arrive. I'm on vacation and if I have to wear what I have on the whole time then thats what I have to do. :eek:) I usually have all I need for the first day in my carryon. I drop it off and head to the lido deck. I do the "drill" and if its there ok, if not ok. Other than getting/returning the vest I don't go back to the cabin until its suppertime. (Can ya tell I am from the country) Ain't nothin going to spoil my relaxing time.

MTD: I will be looking forward to your report!

(There may be ship specific (design) forces at play here, as well as a host of other factors)

.... but what the heck, it gives us something to ponder!

Tom

I too have found it to be pretty random, but to tell the truth I'm so glad to be aboard that I really haven't paid much attention to it. We're so busy partying and exploring that as long as the luggage is there by the next morning I'm happy.

WOW - next morning.... I like to relax and have a good time, and could do so for several hours, but I would be quite stressed going to bed with no luggage! :eek:

Tom

We carry toothbrushes, contact lens stuff, change of underwear, "valuables" and a few other basics in our carry-on bags so it really isn't that big of a deal. On one cruise (Destiny I think) our luggage came sometime after we turned in for the night. I'll admit to being a little nervous but figured at worst we'd have to buy clothes on board, and maybe rent a tux. Perhaps I was naive but I figured if Carnival lost our luggage they'd pay for a reasonable amount of clothing.

I am usually one of the first to arrive and my luggage makes it to my cabin well before the muster drill. It gives me a quick chance to unpack. The only time that I have had a problem was when the luggage tag was ripped off and I had to go and claim a piece from the pursers office.

• 3 weeks later...
MTD : I am eagerly awaiting your report... lol

Tom

Thanks for the reminder! We were at the pier around 11:40 a.m., on the ship around 12:30 (in boarding group 3 or 4, I can't remember which), and our luggage arrived sometime between 4-6:30. We were on deck waiting to go under the Sunshine Skyway bridge so I don't know exactly what time it arrived, but when we returned to our cabin around 6:30 or so, it was there. We had plenty of time to unpack before dinner at 8:30. There was lots of luggage in the hallways that arrived before ours did, so maybe earlier drop-off does equal later arrival to the cabin.

I have found it to be fairly random.

When I first started cruising it was the norm for bags to arrive in the evening.

Now to present time, I like to watch port side operations (of course, with a drink in hand, after all I am on vacation :) ) and I see instances where there is a "system" where the "tug" drivers are able to keep up with the cart trains being filled, then there is a bag rush so the the cart trains are backed up. The tug drivers just grab a random cart train, and pull it to the ship, this is not always the oldest full cart train. I have seen cart trains sit for an hour before being pulled, while new cart trains were pulled immediately to the ship.

• 2 months later...

We have, on 1 occasion, not had our luggage by dinner.... BUT - we eat at 5:45! When this happens, it is NOT a problem wearing what you boarded with. On the first night, you will see others casually dressed... and for that matter, you will see some dressed that way every night... LOL

(I am glad to see the SEARCH feature is working well!)

Tom

Archived