Avalon Tapestry

glln

Hi,

My husband & I would like to book the Tapestry next July but have never river cruised before. I could use help in deciding which River cruise line is best. I like the Avalon Tapestry but have many questions such as: does it matter which deck we choose? I was told all cabins on each ship are about the same?

How is the food & cleanliness on board- any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lynne

This reply is based on our experience on the Avalon Artistry on which we cruised in the Fall of 2005. We are booked on the Avalon Tapestry for the Romantic Rhine cruise beginning on November 5 in Basel, Switzerland.

Except for the two "Jr Suites", all the rooms are identical with the following exception: on the lowest deck, the room has a large porthole which cannot be opened while on the upper decks the room has a full size sliding glass door which can be opened. However, there is no balcony.

Obviously, the view from the upper deck cabins is superior. It is true that occcasionally on the lower deck, the portholes are partially submerged if the ship takes on ballast to go under bridges.However, you must factor in how much time you will be actually spending in your room vs the additional cost (appx $300/person or $600 per cabin). My wife and I came to the conclusion that since we would primarily use the cabin only to sleep, the additonal cost would not be worth it. When the same question arose for our upcoming trip, we made the same decision-sleep on bottom deck, view the scenery from the lounge or top deck.

Regarding food and cleanliness. The food was fine. Breakfast and lunch were buffets and the dinners include local wine (all you can drink) which is a nice touch. All meals are open seating and include wait staff. Also, if the crew is made aware, special dietary requirements can be met as well.

Cleanliness was not an issue at all.

Hope you find this information helpful. You may contact me directly at pkutra@cox.net should you have any other questions.

DH and I have booked Budapest to Amsterdam on the Avalon Tranquility for next July.I chose Avalon as they are owned by Globus. I have taken several land tours with Globus and always thought they did a great job. The cabins are the largest on any cruise line 172 sq ft.and the Tranquility is a new ship. In addition I have not read any negative reviews for any of the Avalon cruises.

I agree about the bow thrusters. They are more noticeable than the regular props. I think it might be due to the fact that they push the ship in an un-natural direction and it takes a lot of power to do that. Fortunately, they weren't used much on the Amadagio at night - at least we didn't notice it and we had a cabin second from the front.

Buck

Archived