Flying Stingray Attack in Florida !!!

FAB1

Thats a lovely picture. I am going to Stingray City in just over 2 weeks. different species but I am looking forward to it. I believe the rays there are quite tame but I shall be cautious all the same.

You'll love Stingray city. Try and stay clear of the ship's excursion there. Too many people. I don't think the crowd I went with had ever been in the ocean before. They screamed bloody murder the whole time. Sounded like they were being eaten. I knew it was safe but after listening to them for while you start to wonder.

WOW, a man's life hangs in the balance & all you people can say is "beautiful animal". What about the trama this animal caused his grandaughter. What about a man having to have open heart surgery???? My prayers are with this man and his family.

It's scary to think that about 6-8 spotted rays swam next to our Zodiac when we were in the Galapagos.

But these are really unusual incidents...very few recorded in marine history and the first known account of a ray jumping (flying) out of the water and into a boat. I do send my sympathies and concern to the man and his family. However, must keep such an incident in perspective.

It's scary to think that about 6-8 spotted rays swam next to our Zodiac when we were in the Galapagos.

But these are really unusual incidents...very few recorded in marine history and the first known account of a ray jumping (flying) out of the water and into a boat. I do send my sympathies and concern to the man and his family. However, must keep such an incident in perspective.

These "rare" incidents appear to be happening more frequently. Any "wild" animal is a dangerous animal. Whether it's beautiful or not.

Frankly I find this story, at least as reported, hard to believe. I don't believe that the stingray attacked. The latest report says that the man was struck in the chest as he tried to return the stingray to the water. That I believe. I'm not an expert on stingrays, but I don't think they can actually get airborne. IMHO, it is more likely the stingray was brought on board the boat with human assistance and the accident happened when they tried to put it back in the water.

These "rare" incidents appear to be happening more frequently. Any "wild" animal is a dangerous animal. Whether it's beautiful or not.

I agree that we should treat all wild animals with respect. However, I don't think people getting stung by stingrays is particularly unusual. It's fatal attacks that are rare.

And now we're going to hear about every stingray attack, no matter how mild, because of poor Steve Irwin.

I have to admit, this incident sounds pretty unusual, though! I hope the man recovers.

Lisa

Although stingray attacks are very rare- they do happen (Steve Irwin). While visiting the Tampa Zoo this summer, some boys were splashing and antagonizing the Sting rays. Every time the sting rays circled around the tank- they would splash the kids. Not all the kids- just the ones that were antagonizing them. We found it amazing that the sting rays were being aggressive to just these boys and gentle with the other children.

After Irwin's death I read that stingrays will attack humans if antagonized.:eek:

Last Dec (Brilliance of the Seas RCI) Panama Canal Cruise we stopped at the Cayman Islands. It was beautiful. Luckily we were the only cruise ship in port that day. We did go on the ships excursion on board the Cockatoo Catamaran to Stingray City. There were only 10 of us on that excursion and the only ones out at the sandbar. This was early in the am around 0800. It was great. One definately has respect for the rays and they are used to being fed and petted here. You had to be extra careful that you did not step on them in the sand. It was an experience we will never forget. The rays do tend to get a little more aggressive especially around the food bucket with the squid so if you do not

want to be in the frenzy just move more to the outer edge.

Mauimary

Vision of the Seas(2003

Brilliance of the Seas (2004 & 2005)

Seranande of the Seas (2004 & 2005 Alaska)

Navagator of the Seas (2004)

Radiance of the Seas(2006 Hawaii)

next Celebrity Constellation (Oct 2007)

Sorry to tell but rays do come out of the water!

We live in the panhandle of Florida and have seen them jump out of the water, flutter, and flip over and splash down again. We think it might have something to do with their mating but not sure. It is an awsome sight!

Frankly I find this story, at least as reported, hard to believe. I don't believe that the stingray attacked. The latest report says that the man was struck in the chest as he tried to return the stingray to the water. That I believe. I'm not an expert on stingrays, but I don't think they can actually get airborne. IMHO, it is more likely the stingray was brought on board the boat with human assistance and the accident happened when they tried to put it back in the water.

I stand corrected! Apparently these stingrays will jump completely out of the water hen being chased by predators.

I too have seen the stingrays breaching in the Gulf near Fort Walton Beach. I spoke with an expert on the subject, and he said that they breach during mating season, when they are feeding, and sometimes just for fun. I'll go swim with them again next September in Grand Cayman.

Archived