"Weight Watchers" friendly dining?

dizzy205

Hello all!

I am proud to say that I have changed my lifestyle with Weight Watchers. Dh and I are going to be on the Freedom soon and I was wondering if anyone was on WW and had any tips or favortie dishes are are somewhat points friendly. I am by no means sticking strictly to it, I am going to be on vacation, but I still want to at least try to maintain a healthy diet. I am at my goal weight, 50 pounds later or lighter :D, and would like to attempt to stay there! I have already decided to take the stairs only...let's see how long that lasts :rolleyes: but I said I would...

Has the menu changed since last October? That was the last cruise we were on. I am looking forward the onion tart on the first night.....maybe for a few nights if I can talk the maitre'd to into it.

Thanks in advance for any info that anyone may have.

Hi there,

Anther WW member here. I'm hoping to loose a good 30lbs before March, wish me luck!

We sailed on the AOS in April 06 and I would say that here are plenty of choices that are WW friendly. The hard part for me was making them :o. There are also plenty of ways to get extra AP's - taking the stairs, a nice walk around the deck a few times after dinner etc. Though some might not be interested in formal exercise while on vacation the gym was very nicely equipted and you can't beat the view!

Congratulations on your healthy lifestyle and enjoy your cruise!

:DThanks!!

We are neighbors!

Good luck on your goal. Remember--NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS BEING THIN FEELS :D

I may or may not hit the gym, I plan on making up for the time DH and I don't have by burning AP's through hot lovin' ;)

DH has lost too so I have support there as well. You will get to your 30lbs, you know you will. If you need some support, I will be here. I use the same screen name on WW e-tools. But I am here more :)

You need something to motivate you.....I have 15 post-its on my fridge with positive thoughts, and it helped me. Plus I have a before picture up and an after with me holding my jeans WAY out to the side. You just need something to keep you motivated!

Let me know if I can help.

I will look for you on the WW-E tools as I too post over there under Tzack42. I spend a lot of time on the 40's board.

Thanks for the encouragement and I will take you up on that offer of support as I know there will be times that I need it! I actually have more than 30lbs to loose but that's my short term goal. It can seem so overwhelming sometimes.

I'm a WW member as well. I lost 30 lbs so far and a lot more to go! I found the drinking was the hardest part for me. The food part was easy. Only gained 1.8 pounds on my last cruise. Tried to eat a salad with lunch and dinner. I always ate in the dining room. Buffets are too easy to pile on the points. I did have dessert every night with dinner and not the sugar free stuff. Lots of water, walking and dancing in the VCL helped a lot!

Good to see you on board. I leave on the EOS for Aruba and Curacao on 11/3 and I know there will be a lot of friendly choices on board. I will let you know the outcome of my cruise upon return. I plan too on taking stairs, walking the ship and getting some exercise in.

Only 10 more pounds to lose my 10% and then it's on to 'GOAL'. Wish me luck.

I've been on WW since April and have lost 21 lbs. We went on the Explorer in Aug. I didn't really drink much, some though. For breakfast I had oatmeal, fruit or egg white omlets. Lunch I did eat in the buffet, had salads, sometimes they had wraps, or a little tasts of hot food and again fruit. I always ate dinner, sometimes switched for a baked potato, we ate at Portofinos and I had the seafood and the tiramisu (yummy). Also, went to the gym a few times, did the bike and walked in the AM around the top deck. I think it's 5 times around is a mile. After I can back, I weighed in (after not getting weighed for 3 weeks) and actually lost 3.5 lbs. I was happy! Good luck, you can do it, you'll be fine.

girls now is the time to enjoy, eat an enjoy ,work out alittle its fun use the stairs its also fun, an than check out the great deserts, they are the funest. see you on the ship Frankie Cruise AOS nov5:cool:

This will be the first time that I will have to watch what I eat on vacation. I think I will have an ok time doing it. I know if I want something, I will not deny myself, but at the same time, I will most definitely make better choices. I will be having the chocolate covered strawberries, I have been looking forward to that!

I never had a weight problem until I met DH, it is not his fault, it was and is my own. I fell into a bad pattern that I had no way out, or so I thought. If it wasn't for a good friend of mine saying that she was going and did I want to go, I would still be overweight...

I am only 4'9" so 50 pounds is alot, so I am told by my wonderful leader lady Michele :p I don't ever want to go back. I feel so good, healthy good. And my husband thinks he is cheating on me with me....more fun now than ever before, if ya know what I mean ;)

I have been trying new things (food wise) and it turns out that I like fish! I no longer eat beef, not that I will not partake at chops for some filet! But now we eat chicken, turkey fish as our staples and not beef, beef, beef.

On the ship, I think that instead of the breakfast we order for room service (before we go down to eat at the 'Jammer) I will order coffee and fruit...NO BACON.

mablinki: you are on your way! Keep motivated..your 10% will get here before you know it. When you reach it, set another goal-make it a short term gaol if your "GOAL" is down the line. I found that short term goals gave me something to strive for, and it made it easier to get to the bigger goals. When I hit 10%, I then set a mini goal for 25 lbs, after that it was 30, and so on. I never in life thought that I would EVER get back into a size 2. Who would have thunk it! You can get to your 10%!!! Just stay on program and if you slip, pick yourself up - tomorrow is a fresh start!

Not exactly Weight Watchers, but when cruising with my mother-in-law who had significant dietary salt restrictions, we found the head waiter and the Maitre D' on the RC ship to be incredibly helpful -- each night they would plan with her the following night's dinner to ensure that each of the preparations was workable. Some, like regular soups, couldn't be adjusted, but just about everything else could be. She also found that the dining room was generally a better bet for getting things (like eggs) made the way she needed them than was the buffet area.

I do not do WW because it is too carby for me. but I do eat only healthy non sugary, foods. I found lots of great fresh foods to eat on all of the cruises wuthout compromising my way of life. I only ate whole wheat bread, sugar free desserts, fruits, veggies and so on, so I was never hungry. There are lots of good choices.

I lost 150 lbs on WW 25 years ago and it is still gone, with lots of work every day but worth it.

I have no problem on a cruise personally. Most nights I will order the alternate grilled chicken or salmon, a salad and perhaps a soup or appetizer. In the mornings, I always choose the dining room or room service and oreder egg beaters or smoked salmon. Lunch there are always good options in the dining room. RCI has always been great about leaving off sauces, etc, and preparing food without grease for me.

I do not drink foo foo drinks, eat dessert, fast food, etc. My big splurge is a chunk of cheese for dessert a few nights and a bit more wine than usual.

I also bump up my already aggressive excercise program and that helps a lot.

It can be done so just order thoughtfully and resist most, but not all, temptations.

Hi Dizzy,

I was on the Grandeur this past spring and I only gained 2 lbs.

We only really ate at the Windjammer (buffet) for breakfast - I skipped right by all those "silver" warming bins and straight for the fruit - then I went to the omelete bar and had them make up a nice egg white omelete for me.

A big thing to remember is just because they give you a "platter" sized plate doesn't mean you have to fill it to the brim. Frankly watching the gluttens loading those plates to over capacity really helped me to keep my appetite in check.

Lunch - we only ate lunch on board 2x both in the dining room and I ordered a regular meal with dessert - on typical days we either grabbed something light on shore or picked up a burger or pizza slice from the snack bar at the solarium pool.

Dinner - I enjoyed salad or fruit soup to start, a main course and usually a dessert. I didn't find the portions out of control.

We did a lot of walking on board and on shore and spent a couple of visits in the gym. You might want to investigate the "ship shape" program where you get points for various onboard fitness activities that you can exchange for goodies at the end of the cruise.

I am not a big drinker - but I had a couple of drink of the days, a glass of wine with dinner and a glass of champagne. But usually 1-2 drinks per day was it - there are a ton of hidden calories in alcohol so watch that.....

Enjoy your cruise and remember even if you do gain a few pounds you can always get back on track when you get home - don't let it ruin your enjoyment of all the ship has to offer.

A year ago June - DH and I went on a 4 night cruise - after wedging my fat bum into the small airplane seat beside him to Miami and back I vowed to myself that I would start weight watchers. I got home Monday and joined Tuesday. So far I have lost 70lbs. It has been easy and although I probably should have been at my goal about six months ago - I am taking it off slow. To make a long story short - I was able to lose on our Mariner cruise in January. At breakfast I ate lots of fruit - although some are high in points it seemed better than eating those lovely pastries.;) At lunch I always had a salad and for dinner - I just tried to stay away from deserts and I tried not to drink too many drinks. I did drink alot of water and walked on the track I think four mornings. If I wanted something to try I would take a bite of DH's or just get a small portion. I still have another 50lbs to go - but I can tell you I feel great and you can stay on your points if you watch - it isn't any different than being at home except for more choices. Good luck!

On the EOS in June and I only gained 2 pounds. I did eat enough (but I could have had sooo much more!) I had a big salad at lunch and even ate at the Windjammer everyday. I also had other foods but I don't do any deep fried food, NO pizza except for a bite of someone else's. I would have a frozen yogurt (the strawberry is great!) on a half of a simple looking dessert or cookie. I walked at least a mile on the walking track every sea day or late arrival at a port day. No potatoes at dinner and no more than 1/4 piece of bread (it was easier NOT to eat any). I found myself side glancing at everyone else's plate (mountain of mashed potatoes, pizza, ziti) and doing a quick point calculation. I am truly amazed there aren't more obese people out there. I tried walking up the steps a lot and always down.

Its nice to see other WW'ers on the boards. Congratulations on all of your fabulous accomplishments! I've lost 31 pounds since the middle of June. I hope to be at goal (another 34 pounds to go) way before our June 2007 Alaska cruisetour on the Radiance. We're doing the 3 day tour before the southbound cruise. I'm thinking that I will be a lifetime member by then, and I can really count points and lose 5 pounds before the cruise, so when I come back I'd still be under or at goal. That's my hope anyway.

Thanks for all the great tips. I agree about the walking. Our last few cruises I've only done the stairs and walked around the outside track on several days. I really think it helps keep the vacation weight off a bit... I wasn't even on WW then, but knew I didn't want to gain too much.

Good luck to all of you for continued success!

Barb

Okay, confession time. :o DH is the one who is alway on here. I usually just listen to what her reads or what me talks me into reading. This thread REALLY caught my eye when he forwarded it to me today.

I too am a WW groupie. So far, I am 45 less in 1 years time this week. I should be much more, but have had rough times.

My goal is to lose 62 at that point, I told DH that I was getting a tatoo. He laughed at me. A couple days later, he said I will see your tatoo and raise you a cruise. :) We booked it a couple weeks later and now we only have a little over 2 months to go.

I was THRILLED to see a conversation about the WW and food and how to behave. I know I will NOT totally behave. But I have to lose 18 more pounds to get my reward. I have just over 2 months to go.

I think the reward will be to be on the cruise and know how hard we have ALL worked and just remember, indulging may feel good at the moment, but think of how hard we have worked and how far we have come. Then take a smaller bite.

Thanks for all the open conversation and honesty cruisers.

My goal is to lose 62 at that point, I told DH that I was getting a tatoo. He laughed at me. A couple days later, he said I will see your tatoo and raise you a cruise. :)

How cute is that!

You ladies have really given me the inspiration to apply myself and lose those 30 pounds I keep talking about. Thank you!

Thanks to the OP for hoping on with this subject and let's try and check in every so often to see how everyone is doing.

Best of luck to everyone.

How great it's been seeing post on the message boards about Weight Watchers and exercising. I am a WW member and have worked for WW for almost 17 years (since Dec '89.) I told my members this morning about the post on here about exercise. I was pleasantly surprised at the enthusiam shown for trying to keep weight off with exercise. Now I am even more enthused! There are many like me that like to eat right. I do indulge however, it is vacation. I am taking a vacation from my "job". What I've found is I automatically make a lot of good choices while eating. I have to confess that I do enjoy adult beverages in the evening;) . I tell my members over and over that I don't want to be a "5" in the Comfort Zone. I think it is a waste of time. I don't want to spend one minute of my vacation so stuffed I can't enjoy myself. I pay good money to have a good time. Overindulging gives me misery, not a good time. I recommend you check out the Comfort Zone chart if you are not using it currently to manage your food. I have been on 2 cruises previously. I have given myself 3lbs to gain each cruise. I've never gone over that amount. I have taken the stairs everytime, I have made good choices, I have gone to the gym. I have had a wonderful time!!

Anyway, I am of course thrilled to see post about a company I love and a plan I live by.....

Happy Healthy Cruising! :D

Another WW here!! In Feb. it will be 5 years that I have lost and kept off 40 pounds. Been on a couple cruises and the most I have gained is 2 pounds. We are very active on our excursions, a lot of time when we are in port dh and I will split a lunch since we know we will have a big supper. I almost always take the stairs. On days at sea I walk the track at least 2 miles. I am not a drinker, maybe 2-3 on the whole cruise so that really helps with the calorie intake. Good Luck to everyone. It is an everyday effort, but so worth it!! Not only look better, but I feel so good and healthy and when I put on a few pounds I can tell immediately by the way I feel, sluggish, bloated, etc. WW is a great program. It is definitely a change of lifestyle!!

Thank you to everyone who has been supportive of this thread. It makes me happy to see such good things said about WW...It really changed my life.

letssoar: let me just say--Bravo on your loss! And WooHoo about the cruise. Personally, I would get the tattoo too! I have two, one small and not in public view and one on my back that now I don't care if anyone sees...since I am happy :D Way to go! 45 is so super fantastic! You will have the rest off in record time, I am sure!

Now of all this talk about excercise, I think I will have to do some morning walking....we are going with 11 people, I am sure if DH is sleepy, I will have company.

Keep up the good work everyone!!

Post more later or tomorrow....

lots of love and thin thoughts!!

Ang

My goal is to lose 62 at that point, I told DH that I was getting a tatoo. He laughed at me. A couple days later, he said I will see your tatoo and raise you a cruise. :) We booked it a couple weeks later and now we only have a little over 2 months to go

I LOVE this! I am not a WWer, but SBDer. I have been working the program well since mid March (dropping 28 pounds to date), and can appreciate what you all are saying... more than you know! Lately I have felt myself "slipping" but am finding your thread very inspiring! I have just over 6 weeks till DH & I leave for a much needed 5 nighter, and hope to have dropped another 8 pounds... I know I can do it if I apply myself.

Thank you to those who have cared enough to share and inspire!

Will continue to watch this thread for motivation!

A~

Archived