St. Martin excursions that are real VALUES?

Cinderellie

Hello -- my family of 4 is sailing on the port-intensive (5 ports) Serenade of the Seas in March/first week in April. I am LOVING all these excursions every speaks about, and I have been happily jotting down my favorites. Problem is -- I want to do ALL of THEM! But with 4 people, we are going to probably splurge on one, and do other VALUE excursions. Great fun, but not a ton of money. Under $50 per person, let's say.

What would you all recommend as good VALUE excursions or beach/site visits in this port that would appeal to TEENS?

Also -- these teens are athletic, and bore easily, (so no yada yada yada historical tours -- they like more "experiential",) and they are traveling with couch potato parents who are not exactly into hiking any rainforests, (but love beaches/water/boat events if you know what I mean!

Thanks for your advice!

What I did in St Maarten was book a tour with Joyce Prince...

She took us everywhere we wanted, and the tour lasted 6 hours.. I'm not sure what the price would be for the 4 of you, but you can certainly send her an e-mail and find out...

Also, you could just hop in a cab to Orient beach... it would get you a nice spot to relax, while the teens enjoy the beach...

A must see is Maho Beach.. We had 4 kids in our tour (10, 11, 12, 17) and they all had a blast at Maho... See my pictures and tour details here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=429700

Hope this helps..

Cesar

We vacation in SXM every year. For teens I would either go to Orient Beach or Maho Bay. Orient Beach has parasailing, jet ski's, music, restaurants, etc. and is generally a happening place. Maho Bay does not have as much water activities but there is plenty to do in the surrounding area, right next to the beach. (Clubs, restaurants, etc) If your kids like just lying on the beach and swimming it is hard to find a "bad" beach on SXM! There are ~30 of them.

We've booked Joyce Prince for a 3-4 tour. We've asked to be taken to Maho beach to see the planes land. We're paying $35 dollars each (there are 4 of us) and when she drops us off we may just then go to a beach for a spot of sunbathing and snorkelling.

Cinderelli, I have been following your threads since we have been on the Serenade last Spring Break and are going on the same cruise next year. I love to hear others' recommendations; maybe they know some great excursions that I need to take!

Wow. I would say that there are 3 excursions (in all) that are worth extra money: America's Cup in St. Maarten, Eli's Eco Tour in Antigua, and the Silver Moon in Barbados. Which would I choose if I had kids? Hard to say. The America's Cup is only 1/2 day, so you could still go to a close beach. Eli's is all day and has a variety of activities. The Silvermoon takes you snorkeling w/ the turtles and over a sunken ship, and then you get to hang out swimming during lunch, as well as enjoying sailing back to the ship, and feeling like you are living the lifestyle of the rich and famous! The last 2 include a great lunch.

If you check out my photos in my signature, I have photos from each of these excursions.

Have fun deciding and planning for the fabulous cruise to come!

Sheffie - so glad to hear this is a good excursion. We're booked on it thru RCCl the first week in Nov. Can you safely take a camera onboard? Any tips?

You can safely take a waterproof camera; other types have to be stowed below. I wish that I had given my camera to someone on the other boat. I have GREAT pictures of True North, but none of us on Stars and Stripes!! If I did this again, I would put my address label on a waterproof camera that I gave to someone on the other boat, had one for my DH to take pics with, and I would take a camera from someone on the other boat to take their pictures. Just a thought.

There are no toilets on this boat, so you will have to go before you go. (They give you time to go to the restrooms on the pier.) I didn't feel the need to use one while out racing.

There is a job for everyone. I was a winch wench!

After the excursion they take you to their office on a pier in Phillipsburg where you can purchase a picture of your group while sailing. (Cameraman comes along to take your picture at the beginning of the excursion.) You can also get a t-shirt.

We had time afterwards to either go shopping or go to a nearby beach; we chose to go to Dawn Beach and had a nice afternoon snorkeling.

Have a fabulous time! Making memories is wonderful!!

You can safely take a waterproof camera; other types have to be stowed below. I wish that I had given my camera to someone on the other boat. I have GREAT pictures of True North, but none of us on Stars and Stripes!! If I did this again, I would put my address label on a waterproof camera that I gave to someone on the other boat, had one for my DH to take pics with, and I would take a camera from someone on the other boat to take their pictures. Just a thought.

There are no toilets on this boat, so you will have to go before you go. (They give you time to go to the restrooms on the pier.) I didn't feel the need to use one while out racing.

There is a job for everyone. I was a winch wench!

After the excursion they take you to their office on a pier in Phillipsburg where you can purchase a picture of your group while sailing. (Cameraman comes along to take your picture at the beginning of the excursion.) You can also get a t-shirt.

We had time afterwards to either go shopping or go to a nearby beach; we chose to go to Dawn Beach and had a nice afternoon snorkeling.

Have a fabulous time! Making memories is wonderful!!

Would this excursion be okay for our 8-yr. old son?

Thanks Sheffie. How did you get back to the ship after the beach?

Taxi. It doesn't have as many taxis as Orient, but arrangements can be made. You can arrange for the taxi that took you to pick you up, or, as we did, we got in a taxi with others.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hello -- my family of 4 is sailing on the port-intensive (5 ports) Serenade of the Seas in March/first week in April. I am LOVING all these excursions every speaks about, and I have been happily jotting down my favorites. Problem is -- I want to do ALL of THEM! But with 4 people, we are going to probably splurge on one, and do other VALUE excursions. Great fun, but not a ton of money. Under $50 per person, let's say.

What would you all recommend as good VALUE excursions or beach/site visits in this port that would appeal to TEENS?

Also -- these teens are athletic, and bore easily, (so no yada yada yada historical tours -- they like more "experiential",) and they are traveling with couch potato parents who are not exactly into hiking any rainforests, (but love beaches/water/boat events if you know what I mean!

Thanks for your advice!

Leave the teens at Orient Beach and then go have a great couch potato tour of the island. The teens will find something to do.... :D and I guarantee it will be "experiential"! :cool:

LL

• 1 month later...

Oh, my goodness! I would NEVER leave my teens in a foreign country! When we go off the ship, we go off together. The America's Cup Challenge sounds fun!

Anyone know the list of jobs on the ship?

Or have another fun excursion idea?

Oh, my goodness! I would NEVER leave my teens in a foreign country! When we go off the ship, we go off together. The America's Cup Challenge sounds fun!

Anyone know the list of jobs on the ship?

Or have another fun excursion idea?

We had visited the island many times before, but we had NO problem leaving our 16 and 18 year-olds at Pedro's while we spent several hours elsewhere.

Better there than Atlantic City or Ocean City.

The America's Cup 12 Metre Challenge is great!

Some of the jobs are:

Main Grinders (4 people?)

Grinders

Winch Wench

Time Keeper

Bartender

Assistant Bartender

I can highly recommend Joyce Prince's tours -- she was booked, but sent her new associate, Linda. I was hesitant at first, but Linda was absolutely lovely! My mother had been in St. Maarten years ago, and wanted to revisit some of her favorite places. Linda tailored our tour to exactly what we wanted....she was so friendly, and so helpful. And VERY economical!

Kim

Thanks for your advice!

Go with Joyce Prince, in 3 hours you get to see beachs, a bit of the island, and learn a little, but it is not all day and Joyce will mkae it work for your family! We just got back and loved her!

Sheffie: How athletic do you need to be for the Am. Cup race? It sounds awesome. I sailed as a teen, but am now middle aged and overweight. Not sure if I could handle it now. Dumb question -- but one excursion I read about Am Cup type boats (might have been in Key West) said that you had to be able to get onboard a moving boat. Did Stars and Stripes dock and you got on at the dock or did you have to "jump" on as they were sailing?

Sheffie: How athletic do you need to be for the Am. Cup race? It sounds awesome. I sailed as a teen, but am now middle aged and overweight. Not sure if I could handle it now. Dumb question -- but one excursion I read about Am Cup type boats (might have been in Key West) said that you had to be able to get onboard a moving boat. Did Stars and Stripes dock and you got on at the dock or did you have to "jump" on as they were sailing?

The boat is stopped when you board it. I cannot imagine having to leap aboard!

There are so many jobs! Even out of shape people like me can have a job. My DH was a grinder and I was a winch wench. There was one lady who was the time keeper, and one who was the bar maid!

I am sure you would enjoy this excursion! Go for it!

You don't have to be athletic at all, nor in shape. Everyone is assigned a job according to their capabilities. My DH was a grinder, and I was a winch wench. One lady was the timekeeper, and one was the bar maid!

You do not board onto a moving boat. I cannot imagine trying to do that! ::eek::

I am sure you will love this excursion, especially since you used to sail.

I would go with Joyce Prince or Gizmo at geekmo@hotmail.com. Joyce set up out tour for my group of 20 and Gizmo was our driver, he was as great as Joyce!

I don't know about the e-mail address, but I believe that the driver that Joyce uses when the group is larger than her van can accomodate is named Gelmo.

gary

Archived