St. Thomas excursions that are real values?

Cinderellie

Hello -- my family of 4 is sailing on the port-intensive (5 ports) Serenade of the Seas in March/first week in April. I am LOVING all these excursions every speaks about, and I have been happily jotting down my favorites. Problem is -- I want to do ALL of THEM! But with 4 people, we are going to probably splurge on one, and do other VALUE excursions. Great fun, but not a ton of money. Under $50 per person, let's say.

What would you all recommend as good VALUE excursions or beach/site visits in this port that would appeal to TEENS?

Also -- these teens are athletic, and bore easily, (so no yada yada yada historical tours -- they like more "experiential",) and they are traveling with couch potato parents who are not exactly into hiking any rainforests, (but love beaches/water/boat events if you know what I mean!

Thanks for your advice!

Hello Cinderellie,

Beach with a lot of activities in the am and then maybe an island tour on the way back to the ship or some shopping before going back to the ship... hows that sound? Bolongo Bay offers a day pass that includes a whole bunch of non-motorized watersports stuff. The beach is so-so. The beach front restaurant/bar is good. Another beach/activities/restaurant option is Cowpet Beach. Again they have a daypass set up for the beach activities like snorkel gear, kayaks, paddleboats, aquafins; its a pretty beach, usually quiet and has a couple restuarant choices. Another is Sugar Bay, which is small beach, so-so, has lots of different watersports options, a restaurant at the resort. So couch potato parents can be beach chair potatos and the kids can try a few different watersports.

Happy Planning.

--Islander

http://www.*****

For this stop we've booked a Serenade ship excursion. I can't remember the name of it offhand, but you go on a short tour and then get taken to a fort area that has a resort area of swimming pools and sunning areas. You then make your own way down lots of steps to the town or take the resort bus.

Hello Mim Lloyd,

Sounds like Blackbeards Castle. The Castle is an old watch tower, the pool is just in front of the tower. The hotel there is no longer run as a hotel, as the site is focused more now on being an attraction. The 99 steps are a historical site as well; its represetative of the way the Danish built 'roads of steps' to negociate hilly Charlotte Amalie (and St. Thomas) when they colonized the islands. The tour should include a couple other historical homes in the same area. Does this sound like the one you are taking? (Here is their website http://www.blackbeardscastle.com/)

--Islander

http://www.*****

If your family is into snorkeling, I just did the Sea Blaster trip in St. Thomas, and highly recommend it. Here's their web address: http://www.seablastertours.com. It was about $65/person, but well worth it. There's another great snorkel tour called Captain Nautica, which departs right from the pier in Havensight. It runs about $79/person, though. They take you to 3 different locations on large inflatables.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your trip!

Cinderellie,

The best tour value in St Thomas is the tour offered by the taxi drivers once you reach port. For approx $25 per person, the usual itinerary is as follows:

Take you to town for shopping until about 11 a.m. (the teens can shop at Vendors' Plaza for Rasta merchandise, t-shirts, surfer jewelry, etc) and you meet your driver for the tour. You'll get a narrated history, and they'll drop you off at a beach (usually either Magen's, Coki, or Morningstar). Try to find one that's going to Coki, so the teens can snorkel, and rent other equipment if they want (jet skis).

There's no fancy restaurant at Coki, but vendors sell food and drinks.

The taxi will pick you up about 2 hours later and bring you back to either town or your ship.

Several people recommend Godfrey, and his contact info is somewhere on this board. Enjoy your visit!

• 9 months later...
If your family is into snorkeling, I just did the Sea Blaster trip in St. Thomas, and highly recommend it. Here's their web address: http://www.seablastertours.com. It was about $65/person, but well worth it. There's another great snorkel tour called Captain Nautica, which departs right from the pier in Havensight. It runs about $79/person, though. They take you to 3 different locations on large inflatables.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the scoop! I would love to hear more about this excursion! It is offered through Carnival now and we are considering taking it. Did you go to the ship wreck? How did you like that?

Hello -- my family of 4 is sailing on the port-intensive (5 ports) Serenade of the Seas in March/first week in April. I am LOVING all these excursions every speaks about, and I have been happily jotting down my favorites. Problem is -- I want to do ALL of THEM! But with 4 people, we are going to probably splurge on one, and do other VALUE excursions. Great fun, but not a ton of money. Under $50 per person, let's say.

What would you all recommend as good VALUE excursions or beach/site visits in this port that would appeal to TEENS?

Also -- these teens are athletic, and bore easily, (so no yada yada yada historical tours -- they like more "experiential",) and they are traveling with couch potato parents who are not exactly into hiking any rainforests, (but love beaches/water/boat events if you know what I mean!

Thanks for your advice!

How about a 1/2 day sail to St John? We are booked with an excellent tour company, Interlinesail, for our shore excursion in St Thomas. While I booked via Travelocity, when I looked at the website, interlinesail.com, they offered a 1/2 day special which might fit your budget. You might want to check them out.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know about the Blackbeard's Castle tour through Carnival? We are going March/April 2008 and our daughter is interested in this. Is this an excursion that someone with slight mobility issues should avoid? Anything you know about this would be great !!! :)

One of the best excursions on st.thomas has to be the snuba offered at coral world, right next to coki beach. you dont need to be certified or anything, and you spend a lot of time in the water(for those of you wondering, its similar to scuba except youre breathing through a hose connected to an oxygen tank on a raft on the surface). there were plenty of fish, and the instructor was very nice. also, with snuba, you get free all day access to coral world, and if you still want something to do after coral world and snuba, you can go to Coki beach about a hundred feet away. i highly recommend the snuba excursion

Archived