Rotterdam V 1978

Cloud9 Bob

Hi all,

I'm new to these boards, but I thought I would jump right in and say hello. Only one cruise under my belt, but it was a memorable one, Rotterdam V - May 1978 NY-->Nassau-->Bermuda-->NY...part of which was through a major storm on the way back from Bermuda. It was a wonderful time in cruise history. I was in my early 20's at the time and my new MIL was employed by HAL. As a perk, they gave her and my FIL a free cruise and really great cabin under the bridge. It had 3 windows that faced the bow and a bathtub! I even remember the room stewards name...Marinus. I also remember Captain Laggay was at the helm. I got to come along with her daughter and we were gifted an inside stateroom. It fueled my love of cruising and I hope to catch up for lost time now that it's more than 25 years later. Better late than never I guess. I'll try to attach a photo of the ship that I took while she was in port and my avatar is one of her life preservers taken on that cruise also. Watch out ocean, I'm ready to get back to cruisin'. ;)

full2030.JPG.115ec0a4ff228bf88b69a10e5cd73072.JPG

We also did that same cruise on Rotterdam V in June of '78 and loved that ship. Sailed on her more than 25-times! Hope to visit her one day in Rotterdam if she makes it there.

Thanks for the nice picture!

Two cruises aboard Rotterdam V in 1970 and 1971 were my first two cruises and Captain Laagay was the Master, then also. Quite a gentleman and willing to talk with passengers and pose for photos.

My last cruise aboard her was an Alaska cruise in 1996, shortly before she left the Holland America fleet. Captain Edward Van Zaane was her Master at that time. And, she was as wonderful in 1996 as she had been in the 70's!

I have sailed on many fine vessels, but Rotterdam V will always occupy a special part of my heart.

Here's another photo. She arrived in Wilhelmshaven, Germany on September 2. This photo was taken at that time.

RotterdamV.jpg.1cff1a26cb9c49dea158fd92a5d2f07d.jpg

When Rotterdam V started Alaska cruises in 1981 the mast top was removed to avoid problems with passing power lines. It was left in Ketchikan for use as a flag standard at the pier. It never became a flag standard, so Captain Albert Schoonderbeek and bo’sun Nico Pangamanan of the Veendam recovered it last summer.

When Rotterdam V started Alaska cruises in 1981 the mast top was removed to avoid problems with passing power lines. It was left in Ketchikan for use as a flag standard at the pier. It never became a flag standard, so Captain Albert Schoonderbeek and bo’sun Nico Pangamanan of the Veendam recovered it last summer.

Here's that photograph:

rotterdam_mast.jpg

"Bo'sun Nico Pangamanan and Captain Albert J Schoonderbeek with top nine feet of the 1959-built ROTTERDAM's mast, on board VEENDAM."

Archived