Bahamas Weather in January - Help!

AZDCruiser

We are planning a trip on the Celebration in January to Key West and Bahamas. I've seen online the weather is in the upper 70's this time of year. I'm afraid it will be too cool to enjoy the beach! :(

I'm in Atlanta, and we are used to 90's in the summer --

Has anyone been to Bahamas/Key West in January? Does the humidity help it feel warmer?

I just want to be able to enjoy the beach and pool

We took that cruise January 16Th 2005. We choose that one because it was cheaper. Well I'm sorry to say I didn't have my swim suit on the whole time. It was a very cold that 5 days, no one was in the pool or even sitting by it. It was also very windy & ruff. We were on the Riviera deck and we could see the ocean waves come over the top of the window. It was to windy in Key West to do our excursion boat trip so it was canceled, and in the Bahamas it also was so cold and windy that they put up the red flags on the beaches no one was allowed to go onto the ocean. I'm not trying to disappoint you but to tell you about our experience. Heres the way I look at it. We were away from Minnesota, on a cruise and I didn't have to cook we made the best of it and had a good time. P.S. remember your sea sick pills:eek:

oh no...

well, thanks for the honesty -- that's what I was looking for

I'm starting to wonder if the 4 day to Cozumel would be better since Cozumel is more south.

I would love to have 5 days over 4..but I'd rather have 4 warm days than 5 cold ones!

mn,

I've looked at other cruises in February also...we are still indecisive!

We want to go out of Tampa, Orlando, or Jacksonville b/c it is an easy drive and since we are taking another cruise in Fall we cannot afford plane tix to Miami for this cruise. :( There are some great deals going out of Miami..I agree

Thanks for your suggestion

We were in Nassau two years ago in January. It was sooo cold and windy. We had sweatshirts and jackets on and were still freezing (and we're from MN so we know cold). We had to literally push against the wind to get to the ship. Southern or Western would give you much more warmth.

Well, here's a little good news. We went to Nassau on 1/20/06 and the weather was gorgeous!! Highs in the mid 80s and I got a great tan!! The water at the beach (we went to Cabbage Beach on Paradise Island) was too cold for me (I am originally from the Gulf Coast so am used to 80+ degree Gulf water) but my DH, who is from PA said it felt great to him.

Don't know if this will help you but it's what we experienced.

I've been to the Keys in January. It was warm enough to swim in the ocean, put it that way. High 70's as I remember. The Bahamas should be somewhat milder I would imagine. But it's a crapshoot, weather-wise. I'll be in the Bahamas in mid-December and I'm wonderin the same thing, although I have been reassured that chances are the weather will be nice.

I was in Nassau mid January, 2006. We had two really warm days and two very windy days. The water was too cold for me (I am not a big water person anyway) The kids did swim though. I am taking a chance and going on the Elation in January again to Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk. I hope we are not too disappointed with the weather. Nassau is very iffy in January. Good luck.

FYI: I checked Bahamas weather on the Internet and it gave averages for the year which range from about 73 winter to about 87 summer. Doesn't change much at all. January/February is average 77 degrees and the water at about 72. This is from the official Bahamas website, so if it's wrong, don't blame me! :)

Hope this helps someone looking for this information like I was.

Bahamas is really a lot like Ft Laud, Miami

For people from cold climates, the temp may seem warm

if you are from Florida tho you probably will feel it is too cold to swim on many days

I did go on an eastern carrib cruise years ago and Princess Cay *Bahamas was ok in mid Jan...that was a pretty warm year

Jan can also be "cold">> 60's, low 70's

right now we have had weather that feels cold to me, it was 63 this am, and is going up to about 77....not swimming weather

so I think it depends...if you come to this weather from a snowy, freezing state then you might feel it is great and super to swim. The hot tubs on board should be really doable either way JMO

The western may be warmer....Imagination was a great cruise and I really enjoyed Jamaica ...you might check that out if weather is a real concern. The southern carribean should be warmer, st thomas and st martin should be warmer...but the Bahamas really might be "cool"

Archived