Westbound Crossing 24th Sept 2006.

pepperrn

Well, Pepper,

You've managed to do it again!

You have taken places that I know, or have seen or been to or in, and made me see them through all new eyes. Places I thought I knew, I now see again, in an entirely different light. Soul and personality is revealed that my jaded eyes looked right over, while you rexcited visage and vision reveals the attributes which were not hidden, but I neglected to take time to see: the beauty, the symmetry, the golden glow and scrubbed freshness. I've been through Grand Central numerous times in recent years, (not to mention the familiar sets on Saturday Night Live) and yet, you see her through the wide eyed- gaze filled with excitement to peer into corners which I thought were mundane, but which actually held treasures. How do you do it! You paint pictures with your words, and now you tell stories with your photographs. Thank Goodness you did not tour the Lady Liberty and Ellis Island also. or I would have had to take tomorrow off! As it was I had only made it through picture number 54 (of 195) (lingering lovingly over each) when I had to simply abandon my computer or be late for work! And please, don't you dare remove a single photo. One leads to the next and to the next. It would be like removing one section of a bridge. One can no longer be transported from over here to over there- Don't change a thing!

And please. Ignore Malcolm. I think it is "that time of the month" for him <G> You know, when the testosterone overwhelms him and makes him cranky, and crampy, with pursed lips and ridged and grooved brow- Just beside himself with awkward feelings which he casts off whirling them bumping and clapping into those around him. Those raging hormones just make him dig deeper and deeper twisting him into the quicksand of misspokeness while writhing to extricate himself from deeper muck and mire.

(Malcolm, you now I love you , darling. Don't be so cross. Accept that Pepper has done another marvelous turn, this time with brushes of silver nitrate and other light sensitive chemicals.- Kiss, kiss, hug, hug! <G>)

Thank you once again, Pepper, for sharing with us the beauty which your eye sees when some of us only see steel and stone, wave and sky. Your eye for composition is simply incredible.

(now go to your room, Malcolm, and don't come out until you can apologize to Pepper, who has been most gracious in acepting your "criticism")

Karie,

who is once again humbled by the masterpieces that Pepper has woven, warp and weft of words and light, from his loom.

Well, Pepper,

You've managed to do it again! You paint pictures with your words, and now you tell stories with your photographs. I had only made it through picture number 54 (of 195) (lingering lovingly over each) when I had to simply abandon my computer or be late for work! And please, don't you dare remove a single photo. One leads to the next and to the next. Don't change a thing! Thank you once again, Pepper, Your eye for composition is simply incredible. Karie, who is once again humbled by the masterpieces that Pepper has woven, warp and weft of words and light, from his loom.

Karie

There is nothing I can write here to say how grateful I am for your wonderful words, except a huge

THANK YOU!

I loved taking all the photographs (over 350 in total) and a few video sequences as well (a video shot going down in the scenic lift from deck 7 to deck 2 is one of my favorites). Because of writing my (far too long) review, posting the pictures on-line and showing the albums of photographs to family, I'm still living the voyage and haven't come back to earth yet!

Again, I am so very grateful for your great words,

With very best wishes

Pepper...you did video too?? Drop everything and get it on here...I can hardly wait!! ;)

Whilst I still stand by my comments about there being too many pictures (please don't be cross with me - I'm only saying what I feel:) ) I am thinking that there's a book in this - one with lots of pictures and a DVD. Perhaps you can get Cunard to sell it onboard and then offer you free crossings to sign it.

Pepper...you did video too?? Drop everything and get it on here...I can hardly wait!! ;) Ok, maybe dropping everything is a bit much to ask, but I'll still be waiting and hope that my fussy computer can play the video.

Cheers, Penny

Penny

Yes, I took a few short video shots on my (stills) camera. I had thought about taking my video camera but decided against it. I will try posting these clips soon I promise (they aren't very good or very long).

Thank you Penny,

Whilst I still stand by my comments about there being too many pictures (please don't be cross with me - I'm only saying what I feel:) ) I am thinking that there's a book in this - one with lots of pictures and a DVD. Perhaps you can get Cunard to sell it onboard and then offer you free crossings to sign it.

Malcolm,

Great to hear from you, and I'm not in any way "cross" with you for your very valid opinion. I am very pleased that you took the time and trouble to have a look at the pictures, and you were polite and constructive in what you said, thank you. I'm not here to fall out with anyone (least of all over a few hoilday pictures), esp with someone such as yourself who has so much knowledge about, and love for, the QE2.

As for the book suggestion, well I think I can see a "tongue stuck firmly in cheek" here, love your sense of humour! I could never write a book, Cunard would never sell it (if I had) and as for free crossings, I wish! I can barely spell my own name correctly so "X" would have to do when I came to sign these "books"!

Once again Malcolm, thank you,

With very best wishes

As for the book suggestion, well I think I can see a "tongue stuck firmly in cheek" here, love your sense of humour!

The only tongue-in-cheek bit was about the free crossings (you never know though;) ). I didn't mean the 1000 page reference type of book, but something more like the "QE2 Fact File and Audio Guide" that they used to sell many moons ago!

Perhaps named like your tag line "It is not the only way to cross, but it is the only way to cross" and featuring a plan of the ship, lots of glossy photos and not too much text. With an accompanying DVD I think it would sell.

Pepper...we'll collaborate...I'll polish up Penny's Hints and TIps tome and we'll combine it with bits and pieces of your review and the one I hope to do...this could be better than War and Peace!! ;)

Cheers, Penny...who thinks Cunard may already have the DVD part of this but their ship pictures leave a lot to be desired.

Pepper...we'll collaborate...I'll polish up Penny's Hints and TIps tome and we'll combine it with bits and pieces of your review and the one I hope to do...this could be better than War and Peace!! ;)

Cheers, Penny...who thinks Cunard may already have the DVD part of this but their ship pictures leave a lot to be desired.

If I can do anything, let me know!

I agree about their ship pictures. They are marketing shots, meant to sell space and highlight her best parts. The average cruiser does not want to see 27 pictures of the Grand Suite or whatever, or the bow shot that makes her loom large. They want to know what their sailing experience will be like, whether there is room for a wheelchair or their suitcases, whether the hull-hole balconies will be acceptible and how obstructed are the obstructed view cabins. These are the questions asked over and over on these and other boards. Shame on Cunard for not answering the REAL "Frequently Asked Questions" most of which the res agents either do not know the answers to or are instructed not to divulge.

Pepper, I agree with Malcolm on this one. I keep telling you. Don't worry about style and spelling. That's what editors are for! And BTW, your style is just fine and I saw few if any spelling or grammatical errors!

Karie,

who would like to be remembered as one of your supporters in the book so I can say I knew you when...!

I've managed to place 4 very short poor quality video clips on the webshots site (the last four items there) if anyone wants to see them.

I wanted to see them (and now I have done:) ). You're right about them being short, but the quality is as good as you'll get on the internet. One tip worth mentioning is to click play and then pause the clip immediately until it has fully downloaded, that way you can watch it without it being broken by slow downloads.

I was going to say that I particularly liked the last two clips, the ones showing the water going past; then I thought that the first clip, in the lift, showed the ship; I won't say that I didn't like the third clip (I did); I can say that I thought they were all good fun to watch:)

OK, here we go..showing my computer illiteracy one more time! I see where it references the 4 videos but can only get the photo show to play. And if I ask for the videos it says there are none???:confused: What am I doing wrong or is it the fact that down here in Florida where I have to use a dial up connection, something isn't connecting? :confused: My guess is it's my stupidity. Malcolm...Pepper...any suggestions? I'd love to see them as I wait to board in 17 days!!!

Cheers, Penny

Malcolm

Thank you very much for posting the links to the clips, really kind and helpful of you (why didn't I think of it?).

I've noticed (on my PC at least) that they don't play at all well first time, I have to "watch again" for them to run smoothly. Sorry if you get the same problem.

Again, my thanks Malcolm.

Malcolm...thank you so much for trying to help me out. I knew i could count on you!! :) Unfortunately, now it tells me I don't have the latest software to run them and I get a bit goofy about trying to install something myself. Last time I tried that I screwed up my computer. So I'll just have to wait to get back home and have my computer wizard do it for me. Thanks so much for coming to my rescue!! Maybe this will make things easier for other to enjoy them as I'm sure they are fun to watch. :)

Cheers, Penny

Why didn't I think of it?

I had typed out long ad complicated instructions on how to get from the link to the videos. Then it dawned on me just to post the video links!

I've noticed (on my PC at least) that they don't play at all well first time

It's not just your PC - they're fairly slow to download. Your suggestion of letting them play once is much easier to explain than mine of pressing pause:)

Pepper, do you have any objections if I adapt your fantastic review into a little 'book' for my husband's benefit? (a free Christmas present; cheapskate, moi?):)

Hope you haven't copywrited it yet.

Regards, Mary

Hi Norfolk Brit

Mind? Why no. Not at all. Very flattered! WOW! Thank you for the compliment! WOW again!

I'm in the middle of re-editing it (deleting sections, grammar checking, spelling and having it proof read). So one small condition (if I might). If you edit it, would you be so kind as to send your version to me at

pepper @ royal . navy . org . uk

so I can see what someone else thought were the important bits. I would be very grateful. As for copyright, well, if it ever got into print it would be protected, meanwhile, I would be cross :mad: if someone passed it off as their own work off of this board (and I'm not for one single moment suggesting that's what you'd do, so please don't even mention this in any reply).

Again, I'm both very happy for you to use it as you wish and am very flattered that you should want to!

With very best wishes

Pepper...no one would DARE pass this off as their own!! They would have to go through all of us, and we can be a formidable bunch when necessary.:mad: And I'd be right up there leading the charge!!! And as for the "important bits' I'd say pretty much all of it qualifies for that. Except for the Southampton arrival and the NY parts, all of the rest of it is going with me on Dec 2nd...

Cheers, Penny....12 days and counting!

Archived