Voters approve Panama Canal expansion

JLC@SD

Thanks for posting the link to the article. I find it fascinating. I don't doubt they can generate the revenue to pay for the expansion. As many of the people fear, I worry about corruption and graft. Certainly, for the cruise lines it means two things: higher fares and more options for movement of ships between the two oceans.

I think it also spells the end of those ships that had a beam of 105', and a length of 970', or less. They were becoming few and far between anyway. Get used to sailing on the monster ships. The new locks will probably be able to handle the Grand Class ships. :(

It is a shame that they want to destroy more of the once beautiful scenery just to increase capacity. We sailed through the Canal (full Transit) in 1997, and were amazed by the huge mountains and cascading waterfalls in the Cut. We sailed the canal again after the Panama take over and after the widening of the cut. All the tall hills and beautiful scenery were gone. They cut off the tops of the mountains just to widen the cut.

It is becoming a quick boring ride rather that the great journey it used to be.

It is a shame that they want to destroy more of the once beautiful scenery just to increase capacity. We sailed through the Canal (full Transit) in 1997, and were amazed by the huge mountains and cascading waterfalls in the Cut. We sailed the canal again after the Panama take over and after the widening of the cut. All the tall hills and beautiful scenery were gone. They cut off the tops of the mountains just to widen the cut.

It is becoming a quick boring ride rather that the great journey it used to be.

My understanding is they cut down the mountains to stop the landslides that kept occurring and threatened to close the canal.

I'm glad we are cruising on the coral this winter, so we will have the chance to see the canal before any major changes take place. I guess we will have to cruise again in a few years to see the new and improved version. It will be a shame if this means the end of "smaller" ships, such as the coral and island.

Thanks for posting the link to the article. I find it fascinating. I don't doubt they can generate the revenue to pay for the expansion. As many of the people fear, I worry about corruption and graft. Certainly, for the cruise lines it means two things: higher fares and more options for movement of ships between the two oceans.

They shoud be ok if they don't contract with Halliburton.:rolleyes:

Any thoughts on how this could affect those of us who have Panama Canal cruises already booked for early 2007?

Ours is in April, and I'm not very concerned, just curious.

Thanks for any input.

The article is interesting - it will also be interesting to watch this play out.

Any thoughts on how this could affect those of us who have Panama Canal cruises already booked for early 2007? Ours is in April, and I'm not very concerned, just curious. Thanks for any input.

The article is interesting - it will also be interesting to watch this play out.

I doubt it will be finished by then. ;) It should have no effect. The cruise ships usually have priority with a set time (because they pay for it). Any construction (if it has started by then) will not effect the current locks nor the current egress in and out.

Chasetf says it won't be finished by then (2007)!

Considering that it is not scheduled to start construction until 2008, and that it is a six or 7 year project, I would say that is understatement!

Look for completion somewhere around 2015 or later!

Archived