Post Transfers from Sapphire Asia Trip

shirlmac

We are on the Sapphire Princess right now and thought we would share some information on the Post Transfers for those who will be taking this cruise in the future.

We purchased a post transfer from Princess this was for a one night stay over in Beijing. Found out this morning that our time in the city will be very, very short. Even though the ship will dock before 7:00 am we are not scheduled to get off until 10:30 then an approximate 3 hr bus ride into Beijing will cut any free time that we would have had in the city to almost nothing. This really seems to be something others need to consider when they are purchasing this transfer as we were unaware of the time constraints when we booked at some $125.00 per person extra.

Also, Princess takes your luggage from the ship and holds it - Have not been told where or how we retrieve it prior to our flight. So if you are planning on buying anything in Beijing you had better factor in how you are going to take it home cause as it appears now you will not have access to luggage until just before you board your flight. Of course you will have your carry on but if your anything like I am that will be crammed with PJ's and clothes for the next day....

I'd check with others who have used this transfer. You could also post on your roll call to see what others on your cruise have been told or know. Without knowing any other information, I would guess that the 10:30AM departure is not unreasonable with a 7:00AM arrival time. My guess is that your luggage will be taken to the buses an your hotel -- you won't be left without your luggage.

However, those who have experienced this would know better.

wow it sounds like in the movies where they stick you on an old bus with others from beijing who are taking their farm animals to market,that would explain why theres no room for your luggage,i guess if you buy anything you will have to hold it on your lap like the others with their animals and chickens,and 3 and 1/2 hours before you can disembark,must be something with immigration,or maybe they have to load the others first with all their animals,then you can board the bus,well i guess i wont be gooing to beijing anytime soon until they get this squared away,thank for the warning,enjoy your trip home:))):rolleyes:

Pam, we just completed this trip and THEY DID INDEED keep our luggage, we were without it and only had our hand luggage for the time we spent in Beijing. Also, we got off the ship at 10:30 am and did not get to the hotel until 3:30 PM. This does not give you much time in Bejing as we left the next day.

The prices for food at the hotel (New Century) was very, very high. Nothing else was around. Had to take taxi (cheap) but it was very far out and near the Zoo all items of interest in Beijing are in the 1st ring.

This is for people who might be faced with this same dilima and information only...it is not an attack on the every so precious Princess Cruise Line......

I hope this will help those of you who will be going on this cruise in the future.

to the other person who responded regarding

The part about Chickens, etc., cute.....but this person clearly has not been to Asia and seen the progress...They put most American cities to shame....they wash the trash cans on the street.....Shanghi is one of the most modern, clean and beautiful cities we have been to. They light all the high rise buildings at night and it is such a thrill. We have been to over 61 countries and so have travelled a bit....Sorry to say the chicken on lap is almost gone....

Archived