Upcoming POH cruise - SCUBA options

CarleenD

Hello everyone,

I'm sailing on the Pride of Hawaii on 11/27, and I have a pre-cruise stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village starting 11/24. My friend & I are PADI SCUBA divers, and we want to dive every chance we get. Did anyone else dive during this cruise, and can you tell me what shop you went through? What times did you schedule? Any night dives??

Thanks!

My information is very dated as we dove, I think back 2002, when the Star was doing the run, but we had a blast. The Dives in Hawaii, I think are some the best dives we ever had. Our Favorite was in Kaui. I forget the name of the operator, but they had chips and salsa as in between break on the dive. We thought they were nuts, but it was great for a snack.

In Honolulu we dove with Ocean Concepts. Very nice outfit. They conducted a safety briefing in the shop before each boat trip. While they do this, they are setting your gear up 100% on the boat. They assign a seat position and buddy in the shop. It was very no hassle diving and we dove with them for 3 days. They set the standard for every other dive operation I have done business with. Granted, I have yet to find one that met those standards and I can't vouch as to if they still meet them. But perhaps in a year or so, I will find out.

Hi Carleen,

I was on the Pride of America cruise in 2005.... Different ship, same ports.... lol... I went diving in Oahu as we were there 4 days prior to sailing... I used AAA Diving in Oahu.... Loved them..... Check out my review on the Scuba section...... Wouldn't hesitate to use them again....

Then I went diving in Maui.... I book through the ship and they used LaHaina divers... while I've heard excellent things and thought they were awesome as far as safety and things were ran regarding diving... I was disappointed on where they took us..... They had beginning divers and snorkelers on board so they went to very mediocre places to accomodate all.... it was a good dive but very boring.... Very little marine life, 1 small reef... And it was a large group.... Many divemasters and divided into small groups of 7-8 divers but crazy with everyone on board..... But they are so into safety that I would dive with them again, but privately.... Not as a ship shore excursion....

We are just back from POH. In Kauai we used SeaSports Divers. They were great. They are great guys, very fun and helpful and they have a nice big boat. Jack's Dive Locker is in Kona, you can walk there from the ship. My kids did a intro to scuba there in the pool. The people were very nice and the Seasports guys said they were great, but since we didn't do an actual dive with them, I cannot comment on where they go. I wished we had dived by the Captain Cook monument in Kona, but we snorkeled instead. That is a beautiful place and would have been an awesome dive.

• 3 weeks later...

How experienced of divers are you? I can turn you on to the best dive ops (IMHO) on Maui and the Big Island. BTW, night dives are usually scheduled only certain times of the week. The BEST night dives are the mantas on the Big Island (Kona coast) if you can work it into your schedule. Let me know if you want more info.

Barb

Archived