New To River Cruising, But Not To Ocean Cruising

CupCaked

Hi everyone,

I need some help. I'm trying to gather information on European river boat cruising lines for next Spring. The countries we'd like to include are Germany (for me) and Holland (for my DH, who is Dutch.) I've got brochures from Deillman, UniWorld, Viking and Globus in front of me. The only company I know anything about is Deillmann, because we've travelled on the Deutschland.

Some background: My DH and I have been on many a cruise ship to destinations all over the world. We really do like it as a form of vacation. We've tried just about every line, except for Carnival, including the high end ships from Crystal, Silverseas, the former Radisson and Cunard, as well as the mid-range cruise lines and the old classic ships, such as the SS ROTTERDAM, and the other Premier ships, plus the QE2. The only line I wouldn't sail on again in NCL, now that the SS NORWAY is gone.

Can those of you will experience give me some hints or tips? Which river cruising lines might we like, knowing what we've sailed on before and which lines we really didn't care for? What itineraries might we like better than others in Europe? Is there anything else I should know about river boat cruising?

Any and all information would be very much appreciated.

TIA

CupCaked,

My first advice is always check the itineraries! Choose your favourite one and then decide for the cruise company. For a one week cruise with your preferences Amsterdam - Basel (Zurich) or vice versa might be good (my choice would be upriver). Some companies offer Amsterdam - Budapest or Amsterdam - Black Sea. It depends on how many days you want to cruise.

Regarding the cruise companies: There´s not much difference between the ones plying the US market (Avalon, Amadeus, Grand Circle Travel, Uniworld, Viking). All offer a similar product. All of them include the shore tours, some offer additional shore tours, some offer free wine for dinner. All companies are more or less casual ranging within 3-4 stars. Food is more American. All passengers are English speaking (US, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Great Britain).

Deilmann is - as you might know from the MS Deutschland - a bit more upscale and less casual usually ranging 5 stars. Passengers are mainly German but also English speaking passengers. Food is more German. Shore tours are not included.

Again, for a river cruise the most important is the itinerary and the shore stops. Then compare the companies.

steamboats

Archived