Diabetic on Board

funlady

I am on the 11/12/06 Conquest cruise and have a question??? I have read all about the fabulous deserts etc... Is there anything that is no-sugar added? Either a desert in the main dinning room or do they have no sugar at the yogart/ice cream place? Thanks so much!:)

I am on the 11/12/06 Conquest cruise and have a question??? I have read all about the fabulous deserts etc... Is there anything that is no-sugar added? Either a desert in the main dinning room or do they have no sugar at the yogart/ice cream place? Thanks so much!:)

In the dining room there will be a no-sugar choice for dessert on each menu. I remember there was a sugar free chocolate cake and orange cake.

I found out back in March that I had type II diabetes. Was a little worried about the sweets when I was on the Valor last month. Don't let it bother you...the sugar free desserts were really good. They have one listed each night on the menu in the dinning rooms along with a sugar free ice cream. The other desserts are tempting, but if you stick with the sugar free stuff you won't be disappointed. I did not see any no-sugar added soft serve or yogurt. Enjoy your cruise and stay healthy!!!

The Liberty last summer had a fantastic low carb cheesecake that was made with splenda! That's the best combination! It was so creamy and delicious, and if you have a small portion, you can really have a good time! It wasn't always available, but several times it was in the buffet at lunch and there was a sign saying low carb cheesecake. It did not say anything about sugar free. I found that out from the maitre'd.

Have a great time!

My DH is also diabetic. We always request the early dinner seating because of this. On our Spirit cruise last July, we were given the late seating. If we had not submitted the health form to carnival and had that on record we would not have gotten the seating changed. So it is a good idea to fill that form out. :D

I too am a diabectic. I have type two diabetes. I eat the regular desserts because I have found that the sugar free desserts have something in them that not only doesn't taste good, but has side effects. If your sugar goes high I found walking up and down the stairs as well as around the ship to be very helpful at keeping sugar lower.

This didn't work on RCCL though and I suspect they cook with something that causes sugar to rise. Working out in the gym didn't help.

However, on Carnival my blood sugar stayed very well and I was even able to have a complete steak dinner, including potatoes, without having any rise in sugar.

I too am a diabectic. I have type two diabetes. I eat the regular desserts because I have found that the sugar free desserts have something in them that not only doesn't taste good, but has side effects. If your sugar goes high I found walking up and down the stairs as well as around the ship to be very helpful at keeping sugar lower.

This didn't work on RCCL though and I suspect they cook with something that causes sugar to rise. Working out in the gym didn't help.

However, on Carnival my blood sugar stayed very well and I was even able to have a complete steak dinner, including potatoes, without having any rise in sugar.

My wife does the same thing. Kind of shys away from the other carbs (pasta, potatos, etc) to make room for the straight up sugar and eats the regular deserts. Shoots a little more insulin then gets active to burn quickly. Def NOT doctor recommended but allows her to eat what SHE wants and has yet to have any ill effects.

But yes, you will find plenty of no sugar added or sugar subsititue desserts you will enjoy

My wife does the same thing. Kind of shys away from the other carbs (pasta, potatos, etc) to make room for the straight up sugar and eats the regular deserts. Shoots a little more insulin then gets active to burn quickly. Def NOT doctor recommended but allows her to eat what SHE wants and has yet to have any ill effects.

But yes, you will find plenty of no sugar added or sugar subsititue desserts you will enjoy

You seem to miss my point. My point is that "no sugar added" or "sugar subsititue" desserts means that they use something else that is more harmful to you than sugar.

I have Type 2 also. While I'm on a cruise, I try to keep with the same planning I keep at home. Sometimes temptation gets the best of me but I can usually eat pretty much anything I REALLY want as long as I play the "swap-the-carbs" game with myself. Ya just gotta decide what you want most...that potatoe or the creme brulee.As for me my precious potatoe was put on hold......TWICE.....cause I also wanted to try that Pumpkin Soup that I had heard so much about. When we were in Jamaica, I wanted to experience having a Margarita at Margaritaville. So, I had a carb-free breakfast & lunch & was able to enjoy my drink....it was wonderful!

HAPPY CRUISING!!

My husband has type 1 diabetes and I am on Weight Watchers. You'll be happy to know that... yes... every night's menu in the main dining room has FABULOUS SUGAR FREE DESSERTS. There are PLENTY of very healthy selections to choose from at all of the buffets, too. Oatmeal & fruits for breakfast, FRESH WONDERFUL SALADS and more for lunches. So you will be okay if you make healthy decsions! Have a fantastic time. The Conquest is TERRRRRIFIC!

:D

Archived