need to get from Paris to Barcelona -European Discount Airline question?

We are flying into Paris about 6 days early for a cruise leaving from Barcelona 11/24/2006. We are planning on spending 3 days in Paris and 2 days in barcelona.

We are trying to decide on the best way to get to Barcelona from Paris. This night train will cost $400 total for the two of us ($500 if we want a private bathroom with shower in our cabin).

Conventional airlines are about $225 for a RT that we just wouldn't use the return poirtion of (much cheaper than the one ways I've seen)

I see some great prices on a couple of the discount European carriers Ryan air and Easyjet. They seem to be very restrictive on their luggage allowance (20kg) with very expensive cost for overwieght. With an upcoming 16 night cruise we won't be travelling light. (planning on one large 50lbmax bag each and maybe one smaller bag) I've never dealt with any of these carriers does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with them?

Any ideas on and affordable/relaiable way to get from Paris to Barcelona on Nov 21st or 22nd with luggage in tow or as reasonably as possibly?

Thanks

I've never dealt with any of these carriers does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with them?

I used Easyjet last weekend for the first time and yes, they are very restrictive with the luggage. A fellow traveller was first told that her check-in luggage was too heavy but there wouldn't be any restriction on the weight of the carry-on. Thus she repacked. But than the carry-on on was declard as being to big. The extra fee was more than the total return ticket had cost her.

Ryanair even charges a fee for the normal checked in luggage (10 €).

Add all the extra fees (eg. for paying with credit card 7,5€ with Easyjet) and costs (remember this cheap carriers even charge for water) and a normal airline might be a not more expensive but more comfortable alternative.

Yet, the overnight-train looks to me like the best option. No luggage restrictions and, given the prices of hotels in Barcelona and Paris, an inexpensive solution.

I have flown easyjet on a number of occasions and Ryanair once. Ryanair is very popular as its fares are very low BUT I would never fly with them again. The airline views your luggage as an extra problem to deal with and charges you very highly for the privelege of carrying it. Also Ryanair is notorious for not giving a **** for their customers and customer service (IMHO).

Easyjet is also a low cost carrier. No frills, no pre assigned seating but usually on time and as the link below appears to show, if you pay an extra fee of 22.50 euros, you luggage allowance goes up to 32 kgs which is 70 pounds in weight. This would meet your needs.

http://www.easyjet.com/en/Book/regulations.html#baggage

Personally, I'd take the train. But, if you do want to fly with a low cost airlines, I would STRONGLY recommend Vueling. This is a Barcelona based airline that seems to "do it right."

Free bagage is 20 kg with 6 euro per kilo for overage. 10kg max for carry-ons. SAo, yes, it sounds as though you are going to have a fair amount of overage costs here. None of the low-cost airlines will be better, though.

The night train is run by EuroNight which means it is going to be a comfortable experience. Remeber, that price inlcudes the equivilent of a night's hotel room. Plus you don't need to deal with getting to and from airports. Further, you don't need to deal with CDG. That's worth it right there! <grin>

I would recommend that you check http://www.vueling.com. You can fly from Paris CDG to Barcelona on November 22 for 45 euros one-way, period.

Vueling is an excellent airline. Much better service than Ryanair or Easyjet. I don't think this Spanish airline is as picky about luggage as Ryanair or Easyjet. Barcelona is Vueling's operational hub -- making it less likely that your flight will be delayed, cancelled or inconvenienced -- and even if it is for some reason, there are several flights per day from Paris to Barcelona on Vueling.

Ryanair is right smack in the middle of a labor dispute right now in Spain. Strikes are on and off and the airline is very unpredictable this season because of the labor dispute. I wouldn't recommend them.

Why take an all-night train when you can get to Barcelona in 1 1/2 hours?

If you are a fan of trains, one experience I would recommend would be a first-class "Gran Clase" ticket on the train. You get a full-fledged bed and a private compartment with bathroom and shower that is almost like a small hotel room. Plus you are served an elegant dinner and breakfast. This ticket is quite expensive but it is the experience of a lifetime.

I would recommend Vueling, though -- you can't beat 45 euros one way ---

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Archived