Mariinsky Theater in St. Petersburg

jstducky

Has anyone seen a performance here at the Mariinsky Theater? Was it ballet or opera?

Did you feel the ticket price was worth the performance you saw?

If you went to the theater, is it a black tie affair? Did you have to go back to the ship and change before going to the theater?

Thanks!

We saw an opera at the theater last July. It was the single most impressive opera performance I've ever seen, and we're fans. We were seated in the center orchestra section at approx. $100/seat.

People were mostly dressed in business casual, but I understand that they "dress down" at that time of year.

If you have the chance, take it. You will remember it forever.

When we visited this past August, our Denrus guide mentioned that they are going to do major renovations at the theatre and it may take as long as 5 years. I think she said this year will be their last season before the renovation. But some of the ballet excursions through the cruise line are not done in this theatre anyway. During our cruise, my sister saw nutcracker performance at the conservatory of music building across the street from the Mariinsky Theatre.

The problem with many of the venues is the lack of ventilation and overcrowding in the theatres. Many who dressed fancy were sweating like pigs and the seats were not very comfortable. My sister dressed smart casual and did not regret it. A few wore tuxes and formal gowns but most didn't. My sister said it was a nice experience but the performance was not awesome. Our guide said many of the best ballet troupes and first rate performers actually travel to perform at other cities and countries during the summer.

Have a good time planning your trip.

We didn't experience overcrowding in the Mariinsky, nor was the seating uncomfortable. It was warm, though.

And, let's face it, August isn't a great month for top flight entertainment anywhere in the northern hemisphere. We were there for the "White Nights" festival (mid June thru ealy July) when the lineups are fabulous - night after night of the top stars of opera, ballet & orchestra performing in numerous venues across the city.

Thanks for your replies. I guess I'll have to have my guide figure out what will be playing at the this theater and other theaters around town on the night we will be in St. Peteresburg so that I can get a better idea of what I would like to see and do.

Thanks again!

Thanks for your replies. I guess I'll have to have my guide figure out what will be playing at the this theater and other theaters around town on the night we will be in St. Peteresburg so that I can get a better idea of what I would like to see and do.

Thanks again!

Keep checking BalletandOpera.com which has up to date (and frequently changing!) schedules for all the St. Petersburg venues...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived