should I expect more from my TA?

tammyp5

Booked our second cruise with our TA (the same one I use for 20 or more airline tickets each year for work). On the first cruise, we didn't know what to expect - I found the cruise and even the cabin, she booked it. No perks in our suite, no discounts, no deals.

This time, I again found the cruise (Alaska, next May). I wanted a guarantee SS to try to get a deal. I waited two days for her to respond and she said she had called HAL and reserved an SS cabin for us. She didn't offer any discounts, no deals, no offer of perks. I read on this board about the HAL deal for a free hotel night pre-cruise from HAL and mentioned it to her. Two days passed and she replied back that it was for S cabins and HAL was holding the cabin and the deposit is due by Oct 27. I sent back an email with several questions about the deposit and if she knew of any discounts, perks or other deals during the HAL fall sale, or if one of the cruises around our chosen date had a better deal.

Here it is two days before the deposit is due and I haven't heard from her - not even a phone call to get my credit card # for the deposit.

Should I expect more than this from a TA? What do you think is a possible reason for so little service - she is usually so good at our business travel. Do some TAs get better deals from HAl, or does everyone have the same access? Does she need to have an "in" with HAL to offer anything extra to us?

And lastly, what is my obligation to her at this point. Should I just call HAL and start over? I heard that the ship may be booked solid now with a waiting list.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Run don't walk to the nearest phone and find a new TA! This is not a good beginning. You want tour first cruise experience to be exceptional. That TA won't help make it so.

I book directly with HAL although others will tell you it is not as cost effective as TA's, I think the personal service and peace of mind is worth it.

However you decide to go, I think it would be in your best interest to find someone else to book with.

You mentioned that your TA is experienced in business travel. Perhaps you should speak with an agent who specializes in cruises. Does the agency you use sell a large volume of cruises? If not, I would look for one that does. They are the people who will find you the perks and deals as they have clout with the cruise lines and get these benefits available to pass on to their clients.

Our TA is a Virtuoso agent who sells a high volume of HAL cruises. He never has any problem getting what we ask for.

Look for agencies that advertise as CLIA certified or who promote cruising.

GN

Yes, you are missing out on a lot of possible perks with that TA. We sometimes use a TA and sometimes a HAL TC, and we've never failed to get at least $50 pp OBC or $50 pp off the list price with either one.

Tomorrow night we're going to a "show" put on jointly by HAL and our TA's Agency for Alaska cuises and tours. Our TA has said that depending on what we select we can get between $300 and $500 OBC if we book then and there!!

As GN said, find a TA that does a lot of cruise business. :)

Maam,

T/A now make little or no comissions on airlines. SO yes that then iof you get great rates is nice.

But do shop the T/A's for cruises discounts and Promotions well and thoroughly.

Even the advertisers on here get quotes from now and comapre them ..

Apple to Apple Cabin to Cabin Ship 2 Ship...

Your going to find a large discrepency .. yes to your benefit...

:cool:

Booked our second cruise with our TA (the same one I use for 20 or more airline tickets each year for work). On the first cruise, we didn't know what to expect - I found the cruise and even the cabin, she booked it. No perks in our suite, no discounts, no deals.

This time, I again found the cruise (Alaska, next May). I wanted a guarantee SS to try to get a deal. I waited two days for her to respond and she said she had called HAL and reserved an SS cabin for us. She didn't offer any discounts, no deals, no offer of perks. I read on this board about the HAL deal for a free hotel night pre-cruise from HAL and mentioned it to her. Two days passed and she replied back that it was for S cabins and HAL was holding the cabin and the deposit is due by Oct 27. I sent back an email with several questions about the deposit and if she knew of any discounts, perks or other deals during the HAL fall sale, or if one of the cruises around our chosen date had a better deal.

Here it is two days before the deposit is due and I haven't heard from her - not even a phone call to get my credit card # for the deposit.

Should I expect more than this from a TA? What do you think is a possible reason for so little service - she is usually so good at our business travel. Do some TAs get better deals from HAl, or does everyone have the same access? Does she need to have an "in" with HAL to offer anything extra to us?

And lastly, what is my obligation to her at this point. Should I just call HAL and start over? I heard that the ship may be booked solid now with a waiting list.

My TA is the best in the world IMO. She makes sure she calls me with any good cruise deals, I get all kinds of "prizes" from her and I've never been disappointed. She always arranges something for us and it's a surprise when we get onboard.

I'd get a new TA for cruising if I were you. JMO.:)

Maybe I can give some insight. I am a TA and I know there are misconceptions with TA's period.

-As someone stated TA's make 0.00 dollars on air tickets on MOST airlines so we charge fees.

-If you call HAL as a direct booking and I called HAL as an agent we will get the same rates.

-HERE IS THE DIFFERANCE if an agency is a member of a consortium such as Virtuoso, GIANTS (not even sure they exist anylonger), Vacation.com sometimes the "perks" everyone is reffering here are given on behalf of the agencies enrollment in these organizations. Sometimes there are TA's who are not a memeber of any. The place I work for is a member of Virtuoso. Its so exclusive we had to be inviteted to join (ohhhh I feel so special). As a result our clients get perks and better pricing on SOME sailings not all and mostly on premium and luxury lines like HAL.

-Agents sometimes through in a gift. My office does it based on what a client spent for the cruise. So we will give a bottle of wine. Maybe a 20 or 50 shipboard credit. Again it all depends on what the client spends because with all honesty we make a percentage of commission on the cruise portion of your trip. The line takes out a nice amount of what you paid for your cruise and calls it "non commissionables" or better known as port charges. I just booked the Noordam for myself. The cruise was $1300 per person and the port charges were 330 each. Thats a nice chunk. So you may be spending a nice amount but keep in mind the agent does not get money on the entire book.

-Lastly if an agency does a nice amount of biz with one line (my office actually does a lot of HAL) we can call our regional representative and sometimes he can throw a few shipboard credits our way BUT NOT ALL THE TIME.

So in closing your TA may be great but keep in mind just because you are going to a TA does not mean you will get a better deal with them than the cruise line. All these factors come into play! Good luck!

P.S. I am going on the Noordam in January you would think I get great TA's discounts think again. Even with all the business we do with them I cant even get one! So a deal is hard to come by I will use my commission money as the discount (still does not come close to a TA's discount-but I am not complaining!). But my point is its even hard for TA's to get a decent deal.

And another thing that is really lousy that she has not called you back. I know it can get busy but she should really touch base with you. I would I love my cruise clients! To me thats my most favorite part of this business. Airline tickets "suck" for a lack of a better word.

Not calling you back is the worst offense, IMO. I'd look for a new TA. (And in fact I've done that very thing twice in my life. No response ... no more business.)

I agree. There are often debates on this board about whether it's better to book directly or with an agent and the argument most often offered in favour of sticking with an agent is that you get more personal service. Clearly, you aren't getting this. I would move on if you can. Even if they charge a small cancellation fee, it may be worth your while.

I mirror exactly what nycruiser is saying: we do not get comissions for booking air so we have to charge a service charge or, in some cases, just do it out of concern for our really good cliants; we don't get great discounts like some think and not always can we get them for our clients. That being said, the lack of returning the phone calls is another matter. Yes, there are times when it may take a day or so to get back to someone, but not everytime. This is one of the biggest complaints I hear about agents: we don't return phone calls. I would suggest you find an agent that does specialize in cruising, not corporate travel. Ask your friends or use the phone book. There are a few national companies out there that do this. As for perks, OBC< etc, again that is something that is very nice but should not play a big part in who you use. I personally, do give something to every client, there are other agents that are just as good or maybe better than me, that do not. Again, a lot has to do with who the agent works for and the company policies, whether they work of salary or commission etc.

Nita

It is time to look for a new TA. I know other families have a family doctor, and our family has a family travel agent. Altogether, we have booked forty or fifty cruises, always with the same agent at the same agency.

Our TA never exceeds our expectations. We expect perfection and she delivers. Calls are promptly answered, she never allows the sun to set on a customer inquiry. If we aren't at home to answer the phone, she backs up her message with an email. She really knows her way around the cruise homeports, and her insights and advice are well worth the price of admission.

After our 5th cruise, she started sending along the little perks and onboard surprises, and now there is always something in the way of a perk, even though we book inside guarentees.

The cruise lines know where the talent is, and they know which agents are booking passengers effectively for them. They also understand the value of good will. Once in a while, the cruise lines have a little wiggle room, and if they can, they will do a favor for the agents who bring in the business.

S Suite Guarentee? Should include complimentary floral arrangement, chocolate covered strawberries and a chilled bottle of champagne, special boarding, and the works.

For your TA to be so unresponsive is inexcusable in my opinion. I just love my TA. When were booking the cruise we are leaving for on Saturday, I initially reached her voice mail with a message she would be out of the office for the week. I just left a message stating what we were interested in and didn't expect to hear back from her until the following week. About 2 hours later she called me and we started the booking process. It wasn't until a few days later that I found out the reason she was out of the office was because her mother had passed away and she had left town for the funeral and other arrangements. I about died. My vacation should have been at the bottom of her priority list but she took care of me as always. She is the best!

Most T/As need to charge a service fee for airline bookings to make it worth their while and even then, unless they are doing volume, it probably still does not pay. Those that do not charge a service fee, may continue to make such arrangements to support hotel reservations where it is still possible for them to make a little money.

I agree with all the posters that suggest you use a TA that specializes in cruising. These boards are sponsored by such agencies.

If there is no meaningful price differential between the TA and the cruise line, why not go to the cruise line?

You have no obligation to the original T/A and any agent or HAL would probably be delighted to take over the booking.

I knew I could count on the board for more in-depth information.

I didn't want to expect perks or offers from this agent if she wasn't getting any/much commission from the sail. The total of the sale is about $4000, so I don't think it is a pittance, but probably not a windfall either. It is just that I do so much business with her anyway (and I pay a fee each time) and she mentioned that she books cruises quite a bit, so I assumed I would get the usual perks everyone else seems to find.

The lack of communication is another thing entirely. This sale must not be too important to her, right?

If I call HAL directly (with my Mariner #) do they offer any deals, or do you have to know what to ask for?

Thanks for all the good advice!

I just booked my first HAL cruise to Alaska (Oosterdam, May 5th) directly with HAL and have no complaints. I dealt with one of their people who couldn't have been more helpful. We discussed cabin choices, dining times, transfers etc, and the free overnight in Seattle for booking a suite. Not sure about any "extra goodies" that might come along with this, but as long as I show up at the ship, and my cabin's ready, I'll be happy.

Sincerely,

Dave

:cool: You definately need a TA specializing in cruising....Worth their weight in gold!....I suggest you look in Conde Nast traveler for some ideas...You should expect, or seek out, an agency that is a member of Virtuoso in order to receive their extra perks and the assurance that you are indeed working with one of the best!...I know that in my case as a frequent HAL cruiser it is always nice when I am aboard the Amsterdam and at the front desk to look to the right and see my agents picture as the "God Mother" of the ship.....

How often might one expect to get some manner of perk from an agency, or should I not be asking?

I bring this up because I have averaged 2 or 3 cruises per year for the past 5 years, but as of last year have been booking 4 each year. In order to do all of them, I have done a few bookings for cabins that are inside or outside catagories, but at least half of this year's and next year's bookings are at least a V catagory.

I have used the same agency for each and every cruise, and it is, in fact, one of the ones that has a connection to this site. It is the one I tend to notice the most when I click on the HAL group.

I have never gotten as much as a free cup of coffee out of them and I am not holding my breath for this to change. Should loyalty be a two way street? Am I just being completely unrealistic?

Which do you want.

1.) The Best Price ?

2.) Perks ?

3.) Combination of both the aforementioned/?\

Like any business thats started to make money as in Cruise Lines too, they want the most profit and least losses..

So if your getting the best price ..which usually comes from the largest volume T/A with the least expenses then you have to expect not much if any in bennys...

If you want perks then most of the time you have to have a higher price base... someone has to pay for the perks.. so its usually going to be >YOU<...

Or taking a combination if you want perks and prices...

your really nhave to shop and spend the time researching what there is available then in promotions..prices and all..

No easy answers....

:eek:

How often might one expect to get some manner of perk from an agency, or should I not be asking?

I bring this up because I have averaged 2 or 3 cruises per year for the past 5 years, but as of last year have been booking 4 each year. In order to do all of them, I have done a few bookings for cabins that are inside or outside catagories, but at least half of this year's and next year's bookings are at least a V catagory.

I have used the same agency for each and every cruise, and it is, in fact, one of the ones that has a connection to this site. It is the one I tend to notice the most when I click on the HAL group.

I have never gotten as much as a free cup of coffee out of them and I am not holding my breath for this to change. Should loyalty be a two way street? Am I just being completely unrealistic?

Which do you want.

1.) The Best Price ?

2.) Perks ?

3.) Combination of both the aforementioned/?\

Like any business thats started to make money as in Cruise Lines too, they want the most profit and least losses..

So if your getting the best price ..which usually comes from the largest volume T/A with the least expenses then you have to expect not much if any in bennys...

If you want perks then most of the time you have to have a higher price base... someone has to pay for the perks.. so its usually going to be >YOU<...

Or taking a combination if you want perks and prices...

your really nhave to shop and spend the time researching what there is available then in promotions..prices and all..

No easy answers....:eek:

Agree with this 100%..If you are getting the best Price don't expect extras...Agents who give extras may not be giving you the best price..

You have to do your homework & compare both prices & perks to see who is giving you the best deal..Also if you want personalized service (phone calls) you may have to be prepared to pay a bit more..

We book with an Agent who advertises on Cruise Critic..So far have received the best Price overall..The Agent always answers our questions (via e-mail) in a timely manner & we are very pleased with their service..We don't expect anything extra, not even a cup of coffee, but that's not important to us..

Happy cruising all..:) Betty

Agree with this 100%..If you are getting the best Price don't expect extras...Agents who give extras may not be giving you the best price..

You have to do your homework & compare both prices & perks to see who is giving you the best deal..Also if you want personalized service (phone calls) you may have to be prepared to pay a bit more..

We book with an Agent who advertises on Cruise Critic..So far have received the best Price overall..The Agent always answers our questions (via e-mail) in a timely manner & we are very pleased with their service..We don't expect anything extra, not even a cup of coffee, but that's not important to us..

Happy cruising all..:) Betty

Betty, I am with you and AAAAmerican on this. I personally shop for price and do not use or care for the extras. But for those that do like the perks, it makes sense to use an agent that provides such. It's six of one or a half a dozen of the other.

I knew I could count on the board for more in-depth information.

I didn't want to expect perks or offers from this agent if she wasn't getting any/much commission from the sail. The total of the sale is about $4000, so I don't think it is a pittance, but probably not a windfall either. It is just that I do so much business with her anyway (and I pay a fee each time) and she mentioned that she books cruises quite a bit, so I assumed I would get the usual perks everyone else seems to find.

The lack of communication is another thing entirely. This sale must not be too important to her, right?

If I call HAL directly (with my Mariner #) do they offer any deals, or do you have to know what to ask for?

Thanks for all the good advice!

Booking directly with the cruise line will not get you anything more than what you should expect from a good TA. Sometimes you don't get as much, depending on the agent you get. I have often given codes etc to the res agent at HAL as well as other lines just to get the specials. NMNita

Yes, you should expect more. That's why we don't use them anymore. I do all of our booking online and save a lot of time & money. Just about every online agency is cheaper than the brick & mortar ones, and booking your own air usually will save you money, too. I didn't need the hassle when I can do it myself and know exactly what I'm getting. Lose her is my advice

If you want details on the perks our agent threw in on our recent Westerdam cruise, e-mail me at tohoku at cablespeed dot com in the usual format .. and if I just happen to slip and tell you what company that agent works for.. well accidents happen *S*

Archived