What makes RSSC better?

ialacruiser

Hi, everyone. I'm kind of a beginning cruiser--my husband and I have been on one cruise for our honeymoon. We cruised with NCL to the Western Caribbean and had a fantastic time. Recently, because my husband works for a travel-type company, we got a great deal on a RSSC cruise at the end of November. After looking at the RSSC website, I see that this is a luxury line, but I'm not sure how exactly that's different. So, can someone tell me how RSSC will be different from NCL? Any replies would be much appreciated.

Well, you lucky guys! I think the best answer will come from you yourself after you've done the November cruise. Then you can answer the question for us!

I can't tell you the difference, since RSSC is the only line I've been on, but I believe you will come back feeling wonderfully spoiled from the great service, amazing staterooms, wonderful food, and that small ship attention to detail. Not to mention the lack of nickel-and-diming and the included tips.

You are in for a wonderful shock. It is truly a totally different, and much better, experience. (I am not going to knock NCL, but as it is well and truly a different animal, the differences are radical.)

Physically, the Regent ships are much smaller, but when you look at something "wood" it is actually wood. Your cabin...err, suite...will be larger, have much higher quality finishes and linens, a much better and bigger bathroom, a stocked refrigerator and a welcome bottle of champagne.

The public spaces will be smaller, but more tasteful; though not nearly as varied as on NCL. And while you are in those spaces there will not be anyone trying to sell you a drink, though you may have one from any waiter (and after January 1 they are included in your cruise fare). Rather than "Freestyle" dining, there is open seating but with a dress code. The food will actually be very good to excellent with a very varied menu and complimentary wine with dinner. Lunches on deck will be actual bbq; not faux with much better fare.

Did I mention virtually no lines? Or that there will not be any lines?

One thing NCL does do better are the shows. This is not a Regent strong point, though there are a few real talents that are around. However, Regent does have very good lecturers.

The pool will be much quieter as the area is used as a swimming/reading/lounging area, rather than a sports/games venue.

And finally, but certainly not least, you will find a world of difference in service. It is not that NCL doesn't have those that try hard, but Regent has very good service that is a bit more personalized. Regardless if you think Regent has the best service at sea or believe it has its letdowns, it is without question far, far better than NCL's.

Again, NCL is a budget line with a far different market, so I do not mean to criticize it. NCL has many fans. But when comparing it to Regent there is just a huge difference. ENJOY!

We've been on two RSSC cruises and many standard mainstream cruise lines, such as NCL, Celebrety, Disney, and RCCL (we live in Florida between Port Canaveral and Ft. Lauderdale, so it is easy). Note that the two RSSCs have been to more interesting locations to us (Tahiti, Med) as opposed to all the others we've been on that have sailed the East and West Caribbean.

What I like most about RSSC as it compares to the other mainstream lines is this:

1. Larger staterooms. The Navigator that we just got off has a separate bathtub and shower - very nice feature, not to mention a living room and walk in closet.

2. Fewer people. Which translates into many other benefits, such as actually being able to get to know other passengers better, short to no waits for buffets, no worrying about not getting a seat at the evening show, and being treated more personally by the staff, because they can actually remember your name and preferences.

3. Although this is a "luxury" line, you will meet just as many Gilligans as you will Thurston Howells, so there is no elitist atmosphere. But you will still be spoiled.

4. Not being nickel and dimed for every little thing and not having to tip. We are going on a Disney cruise in 2 weeks (for the kids) and I will be paying $10 a person for reservations at the alternative dining room, a few dollars in tips every time anyone orders room service, not to mention charges for certain snacks on board, water, etc. Then there are the tip envelopes that add up quickly.

5. Great tours at great prices offered through RSSC. On our last cruise, we found the tour prices reasonable and the tour guides were knowledgable and spoke very good english.

6. The food.

Probably many more things I will think about right after I post this...

I have done many NCL cruises and two on RSSC with two more booked.

The experiences are night and day.

On NCL, you are one of many. On RSSC, you are a guest in every sense of the word. From wonderful stateroom service to great food and service in the dining room, you feel as if you are in an upper end hotel as opposed to the airport Hilton.

We have never had kids on RSSC, the passengers are generally interesting and friendly, I have not seen loud drunks or rude behavior. I love that RSSC has a dress code which is followed without argument, at least IME.

No lines, no stupid games, no volumes of people anywhere.

Enjoy!

The biggest difference for me was the amazing amount of space there was on the Voyager. All this open space and I never felt crowded or like I was even on a cruise ship. That would be the biggest difference that affected my views of RSSC and I cannot wait unitl my december 29th cruising!

Wow...thanks so much for all of your responses! :) It looks like we will have a great time!

One thing I did really miss on the NCL Sun was a bathtub--that tiny little bathroom and shower were probably my least favorite part. So I know I will enjoy the larger bathroom a lot. And it will be nice to have tips included.

Now I'm looking forward to our mini-break even more! Thanks again!

Here is an example I like to use.

We were on NCL Dream 50,000 ton ship 1,880 passengers. 700 crew

Regent Seven Seas Mariner 50,000 tons 700 passengers. 450 crew

Regent Seven Seas Voyager 49,000 tons 700 passengers. 450 crew

I think this will tell you why Regent is a luxury cruise line if for no other reason.

But of course it is not just the ratio that makes the difference.

There is so much more that as others have said. "You will have to see it for yourselves"

The Regent Seven Seas Cruise is something special.

03/22/80 Commodore MS Caribe Eastern Caribbean

02/15/03 Radisson (Regent) Paul Gauguin Tahiti

02/22/04 Norwegian Dream (ick) Western Caribbean

11/12/04 Radisson (Regent) Mariner Mexican Riviera

02/15/05 Radisson (Regent) Diamond Southern Caribbean

12/27/05 Radisson (Regent) Voyager Panama Canal full cruise

01/09/07 Regent Mariner Segement #1 Amazon River.

In addition to having among the highest ratio of space to passengers in the industry, Voyager and Mariner are all-suite, all-balcony ships, with the lowest category of suite being over 300 square feet (plus the balcony). Navigator has some non-balcony suites, but like Voyager its lowest category suites are 320-square feet with separate full-size bathtub and shower. Frankly, there appears boe be little reason not to buy the least expensive availabe suite on Voyager, in particular. These suites are extremely well organized and appointed, with many accommodating a third person (with a curtain for privacy). With ongoing refurbishment, all of these suites will soon have flat-screen TVs and other state-of-the-art amenities. For me, this is the number one attraction of RSSC.

RSSC is now all-inclusive, including all cocktails, wine and beer (though premium brands/bottles are extra).

Cuisine is subjective, but RSSC consistently ranks at or near the top. Seabourn's may be better, but their ships and basic suites are much smaller.

Although Voyager and Mariner fall within Conde Nast's "Large Ship Cruise Line" category (RSSC also qualifies as a "Small Ship Cruise Line" due to the Navigator, the Paul Gauguin and Explorer II--which RSSC doesn't own), RSSC is at the lowest end of this category. Consequently, while entertainment is generally good, RSSC can't mount the large and sophisticated productions like big ships can.

On the other hand, they can cruise up the Amazon, the Thames River, Norwegian and Alaskan fjords, and other places that much larger ship cannot reach.

We just returned from the Voyager -- our first cruise ever. We are completely sold and would probably never dream of using another cruise line. For us, the ease of transfer from the airport to the hotel to the ship were all flawless. We were not stuck on huge buses but in private cars. There were Regent reps at our hotels to answer any questions we had, make sure we knew where and when our transfers were etc. They handled our air for us which was also flawless. When they told us not to worry about anything, we didn't as we knew they had it all in hand. Boarding is a breeze. The staff was wonderful, friendly, knew our names (even when we ran into them in port and didn't recognize them they made the effort to greet us by name and ask us how our day was going). We celebrated our anniversary on board. In the afternoon a cake and bottle of chilled champagne was delivered to our door as well as an anniversary card. Then at dinner, (I suspect they tracked us down), they delivered another cake to our table. The ship was beautiful, spotless and well-maintained. The staff goes out of it's way to make you feel special. The initerary was great and the shore excursions (we did the ships tours) were all done very well (especially the jeep tour up Mt. Etna in Sicily). There are hundreds of reasons I could give as to why I loved RSSC!!! So, I know nothing about NCL or any other cruise line but I do now know RSSC.

Archived