Are the seas rough on a Panama Canal cruise?

stipmom

Gross generalization of course, but usually smoother going from CA to FL, rather than the reverse; reason being Japanese Current flows South along the Left Coast. When going South, you are going with the current, travelling North, you are bucking the current.

The Canal is a great experience. I recommend getting a copy (from the library) of McCullough's Path Between the Seas, an excellent telling of the building of the Canal.

I still think Jimmy Carter was wrong to give the Panama Canal back to the Panamanians, after all - we stole it fair and square. Had we not built the Canal, Panama would probably still be just a province of Columbia.

We went through the Canal on Infinity in March 2004 from Valparaiso to FLL. Upon passing the sea wall at the north (east) end of the Canal, the Caribbean was a bit rough compared to the Pacfic, but smoothed out quite nicely by the time we got to Aruba (for bit of fresh paint, to replace that left behind at the locks, heh, heh).

Not to worry. have a great cruise.

Cabo

This past March we were on the Brilliance Panama Canal cruise. We didn't do a full cross. We went from Florodia through the first locks and then turned around. We didn't experience any rough patches. I just asked my husband if he remembered any and he just said no.

We did the canal eight years ago on the Galaxy from San Francisco to San Juan in October. The only weather we encountered was a tropical depression in the Pacific, and the captain sailed around it. There were still some awesome waves, though. We chose that direction so that when we flew home to TN, we would gain hours instead of losing them.

We have done the florida to ca 4 times over xmas new year and never had a problem with sea.We like the fl start as you get extra hours on several of the days ie 25 hour days whereas on the ca to fl route you loose the hours. enjoy its a great cruise.

Archived