Shopping on X

cinnamon

Does anyone know roughly how much does it cost to buy a shirt to wear with a Tuxedo or "Dinner Suit" in the onboard shops? We call these Dress shirts in the UK but I know that in the US that just means a formal work type shirt. I mean the sort that has pleats or slight frills down the front and double cuffs for cufflinks.

Thanks for any help,

Cinnamon

Did you just arranage that with your cabin steward? Or Guest relations? That's really a bargain. We had only taken one with us for my husband's tux - for 14 day cruise to Hawaii - and so, when we got to San Diego after our flight from Europe, we ran to Horton Plaza to get him another one. If I had known that they would be so cheap to rent, we could have saved the rush...and expense.

How about just taking one shirt and having it washed and pressed by the laundry after a couple of evenings wear... save room in your suitcases, and so easy to do. Cost is $3.50 for a "formal shirt". Just an idea.

Sharon, thanks for teling us about buying the dress shirt in San Diego. Could you give me an idea how much it was? I looked in M&S yesterday, the basic, not very nice one, was £22.00 and the others £35.00. This seems quite a lot. John has one which he could wear and have laundered oboard,(we are on a 14 nighter too) but it is a bit tight on the collar. We thought that like most clothes they would be cheaper in the US, but don't think we'll have time to buy one on the morning of the cruise before we board.

Cinnamon

Hi Cinnamon,

We found - a year ago - a good selection at Macy's in Horton Plaza. They are always having some sort of sale, so I think it was about $28 - $30. If you are leaving from San Diego, Horton Plaza is really not far from the pier - about a 10 minute brisk walk. And they are open 7 days a week - Sunday I think they open at 11 AM. If you have more time; Marshall's, Ross, T.J. Maxx - all over the U.S. - usually have some stock at good prices. (Naturally, the stock will be better assorted shortly before the Christmas holiday season.)

Did you just arranage that with your cabin steward? Or Guest relations? That's really a bargain. We had only taken one with us for my husband's tux - for 14 day cruise to Hawaii - and so, when we got to San Diego after our flight from Europe, we ran to Horton Plaza to get him another one. If I had known that they would be so cheap to rent, we could have saved the rush...and expense.

I just called guest relations and our cabin steward ran it down to me. Then I noticed I had forgotten my cuff links and studs, another $5.00 took care of that. The shirt I had laundered between formal nights at my expense.

Sharon,thanks. We are leaving on Thursday from Tampa. However, DH finally got around to trying on his existing shirt today and said it was just about OK. We will have it laundered for the third formal. We are staying in Florida for a further 2 weeks after the cruise, so he may buy another one then as we have 2 more cruises booked (June and November 2007).

I love San Diego, I have had relatives there since 1959 and visited many times. We sailed from there on Mercury last January.

Cinnamon

Archived