First-timer questions

Paulaa

Can anyone help out with the following for a first time cruiser on a Millennium Class ship?

Is it better to arrive early for embarkation, or "on time" ?

Does "room service" require any additional tipping other than that recommended in the Celebrity guidelines?

Is there anywhere to store empty suitcases during the cruise?

Is there a drugstore type facility on board for OTC medicines and toiletries?

Hi

1. We like to get on board early. It gives you time to explore the ship, ckeck your dining room seating etc. etc., and you will have had time to relax and get into cruising mode before the ship set sails.

2. A small additional tip for room service is normally appreciated unless you have a butler, it which case it will go into his tip by the end of the cruise.

3. Yes, under the beds

4. Yes, but they are usually not very well stocked. Only carries the most basic necessaries.

Enjoy your cruise. The first is always the best and you will bring unforgettable memories with you back home.

DaneViking

1. We usually arrive early to avoid long lines in checking in. We board, I grab the complimentary glass of champagne and head for our cabin. If available, we get our safe coded and put our valuables in it, jewelry, passport, wallet etc. Make sure you get a map of the ship if you haven't been on it before. We then check the whereabouts of our dining table and then head to the buffet for lunch.

2. Room Service Tipping - I keep an envelope in the drawer with $1 bills for tipping. Makes it easier than going into the safe to get the money when needed. I have never had it stolen.

3. The luggage will fit under the beds. Try to put the smaller bags into the larger ones and one person might have to hold up the bed frame while the other pushes the luggage under.

4. I always bring my own staples. A clear cosmetic case for first aid items (band aids,small neosporan etc.) I bring another with Antacid meds, immodiam AD, Bromine (sea sickness, but never had to use it) aspriin etc.

Hope this helps.

Paulaa, Just wanted to comment on your question re. early arrival.

You probably will be able to board the ship before the "official" boarding time, but crew members might not be at the ship's entrance to offer you champagne & guide you to your stateroom, as they likely will be busy cleaning & engaged in other duties following the disembarkation of the passengers from the previous cruise. Also, your stateroom may not be ready (for the same reasons), although you will be able to stow your luggage there & then go off & explore the ship while your steward & assistant steward get the room ready for you.

Remember, nowadays there is very little turnaround time between cruises. The cabin staff only has a few hours in which to

get cabins ready for the next load of passengers; likewise, the other crew members (deck staff, restaurant personnel, etc.) have only a few hours in which to get their areas of the ship ready to receive the new passengers & make necessary preparations for sailing--quite a demanding job!

But, as I say, don't worry if you get to the ship earlier than the time stated on your documents. They won't chase you away!;)

The other posters have given definitive answers to your other questions.

We have a suitcase that is a tad too big to fit under the bed - we asked our cabin steward to stow it for us. He brought it back to us the last full day of the cruise so that we could pack that evening.

As far as early boarding, we have noticed that if you come at the time in the cruise docs, there are no lines - it seems everyone wants to get on the ship early.

Hi Paula,

First off ENJOY your first cruise, nothing like it !! Where are you cruising to?

I dont consider myself a penny pincher ( my husband i am sure would tell you he wishes i would pinch more !)but I think it saves allot plus takes care of any problem that might arise if you pack a mini med kit and toiletries.

As stated: asprin, cold meds, tums, immodium, band aides, feminine needs, motion sickness pills, extra batteries for camera, neosporin,extra set of contact lenses etc.., your own brand of shampoo and conditioner. The ship supplies a shampoo/conditioner blend, (I find that it makes my hair flat)

Have a great cruise

Nadine

Hi Everyone !

A couple of comments. I do not feel it is best to arrive VERY early. In the past, I have encounterd the most problems that way. More and more people are arriving too early, and more chaos, bad tempers, and long lines are visable then.

I usually arrive between noon and 1, and it works out better than, say 11 am. Also, if you come very early, the cabin attendants will be busy getting your cabins ready. Last time on Century, they even had the corridors closed off, so you could not get to your cabins.

I am in the camp that says, come a little later, and not have to deal with the crowds, and other assorted craziness.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Perhaps you can help me with a few other points:

We asked our TA to request a table for two in the restaurant. Is it likely that this will be granted?

Can we take a travel iron, kettle and hairdryer on board? I've searched the Celebrity website and can't see anything that says they're not allowed.

I need to drink several litres of water each day. Is the tapwater in the staterooms drinkable? Or would the steward be able to provide pitchers of water? Is water available in the restaurant at mealtimes, other than the bottled variety?

If we choose not to do organised shore excursions at some destinations, how easy is it to get tranport out of the port areas to look around locally on our own?

Can the "Bon Voyage" liquor and wine packages for the staterooms be ordered during the cruise or only in advance?

Many thanks.

We asked our TA to request a table for two in the restaurant. Is it likely that this will be granted?

Likely. However I think half the fun of having dinner is meeting with table mates and sharing experiences with others. If you get a table for 2 you may want to try sharing a table with others during Open Seating breakfast or lunch.

Can we take a travel iron, kettle and hairdryer on board? I've searched the Celebrity website and can't see anything that says they're not allowed.

Travel iron is not allowed. You can also call Celebrity to confirm. Hair dryer will need to be plugged into the outlet in the cabin for it to work. It will not work in the bathroom as it takes up too much electircal current.

I need to drink several litres of water each day. Is the tapwater in the staterooms drinkable? Or would the steward be able to provide pitchers of water? Is water available in the restaurant at mealtimes, other than the bottled variety?

There is a small pitcher in the cabin. I am sure they will accomodate with multiple pitchers or a larger one. One thing you can do is to ask them to clear your minibar (unless you want it), bring your own gallon jug and ask them to fill it up for you - or do it yourself at the buffet area.

If we choose not to do organised shore excursions at some destinations, how easy is it to get tranport out of the port areas to look around locally on our own?

Sure! That's our preferred way of touring also. See my photo trip reports for some ideas on independent tours we took. There are also lots of ideas for you on the various CC port of call boards. Just do your research before your cruise and be sure you get back in time before the ship sails :) !! What ports are you going to??

Water question,

The tap water is "made" onboard at the de-salination plant. IMHO it is perfectly drinkable, especially when a littled cooled. Being a Brit I do not like completely iced water. We bring spare bottles with a sports type opening which we re-fill and take ashore for excursions or up on deck when sun-bathing. The sort that are insulated are vey useful. The ship's personell will try to sell you small bottles of mineral water at great cost as you dis-embark at ports. There is also a larger bottle left in your cabin. If you drink it, it will be replaced and charged to your account each time. To my mind they are very over-priced and I am fine with the tap water.

Hope this helps, have great cruise,

Cinnamon

There will be a pitcher of water in your stateroom. On both the Zenith and the Constellation, ours was filled at least twice a day (when the steward and/or assistant made up the room while we were at breakfast, & again when they turned down the bed while we were at dinner). Shortly after you board the ship, your steward will come to your room to introduce him-/herself. You can take that opportunity to explain your request for extra water. In my experience, the stewards really go out of their way to meet such requests, & I'd guess that you'll find your water pitcher full whenever you go back to your stateroom.

Yes, there will be a water glass at your table setting at dinner. (I don't recall if this is the case at breakfast & lunch also; we usually take those meals in the casual dining area.) Again, on both the Zenith & the Constellation, the assistant waiter was amazing at keeping the glass full! I drink water with dinner; no sooner had I taken a sip & put down my glass than the assistant waiter would be back pouring more water into the glass without my even asking. Now that's service!:)

I've never tried drinking the tap water aboard ship, so can't comment on that. On some cruises, the staff does push bottled water (especially in those areas on the open decks with seats). I'm sure it's overpriced.

This depends entirely on the port. In some destinations, the docks are located in a semi-industrial area that may be some distance from the town itself. In others (e.g., Hamilton & St. George, Bermuda), you walk off the ship & you're right in the town.

In some ports, Celebrity offers a bus service into the center of town--usually around $5, I believe; maybe more in some places. However, again depending on where you are, you might be able to walk it in 15 or 20 minutes. (That's always my preference, as long as the area around the docks seems safe.)

I'd expect that in most ports there will be taxis waiting to take passengers into town.

You don't say what ship you're on & what ports are on the itinerary. If you could give that information, I'm sure many people here would be able to tell you whether the docks at those ports are within walking distance of the town/city itself.

try storing it under the bed opened....mine is a bit too tall to fit closed but went under the bed just fine opened ( with the carry-on in it). But if I have a chance and find a on- sale smaller bag...I'd buy it. (and I'll watch the weight closely..not only do I not want to pay for over-weight surcharges on the airline, but I don't want to risk wrecking my back hassling a BIG heavy bag....even with wheels):rolleyes:

I always over pack and bring back un worn clothes and unused easily replaced 'stuff'...after my last cruise I made a "these are what I really need to bring list"...I hope to stick to it.....yeah, right that will happen!!!

Thanks everyone for your advice. Perhaps you can help me with a few other points:

Or would the steward be able to provide pitchers of water? Is water available in the restaurant at mealtimes, other than the bottled variety?

Many thanks.

From Celebrity's website:

What not to Pack

For the safety of our guests, the following items are not allowed onboard:

• Irons
  • Coffee makers
  • Candles
  • Illegal drugs
  • Flammable liquids and explosives, such as fireworks

Since coffepots are not allowed, I don't think a kettle would be allowed either.

Water is available at all meals (the asst. waiter is in charge of making sure your glass is never empty) and both hot and cold water is also available at the poolside beverage station and in the buffet area beverage station. There is one beverage station that is open around the clock.

Thanks for all the responses. I was particularly concerned about the drinking water situation, but it sounds as if there should be no problem.

"You don't say what ship you're on & what ports are on the itinerary. If you could give that information, I'm sure many people here would be able to tell you whether the docks at those ports are within walking distance of the town/city itself."

We'll be doing LA to Ft. Lauderdale through the canal on the Infinity. We'd appreciate any info or advice on getting about at the various ports. We're badly in need of some serious R&R, so we intend to enjoy the ship as much as possible and just potter about locally.

Another couple of questions, if someone can help:

Do we need to pack towels for the pool or beach?

Presumably it's fairly easy to obtain local currencies on board for us in port?

Many thanks.

Towels are available poolside for use in the pool area - no limit on the number you can use.

There will be a beach towel for each person in your cabin before the first port. Leave it in your stateroom when you return and a clean one will be there that evening. Don't forget to bring them back as you will be charged if the towel isn't in the room on the last night.

Towels are available poolside for use in the pool area - no limit on the number you can use.

There will be a beach towel for each person in your cabin before the first port. Leave it in your stateroom when you return and a clean one will be there that evening. Don't forget to bring them back as you will be charged if the towel isn't in the room on the last night.

As for local currencies, there will be a bank on board which will exchange monies as you hit local ports. We did a 28 day BTB to Europe on the Constellation back in July and had about 12 different currencies to deal with and the bank took care of all but 2 of them for us. Don't worry about the local monies, particuliarly in Mexico and Central America. The US dollar is widely accepted.

Dear Paulaa:

The information and advice given by others on this posting sounds just right. I wanted to add one caveat:

You don't mention where you are cruising and I had an unusual experience last October in the Med. While in Italy I was told by the young lady staffing the ship's store that she couldn't sell me an OTC drug item because Italian regulations stated that such medications had to be purchased in licensed pharmacies (I forget the Italian word for them). She helpfully gave me directions to a store close to the dock where I could purchase whatever it was I needed (maybe cough medicine... can't remember!). Anyway, that could be because it was an Italian ship or just because of where we were sailing, but I thought I would mention it just in case... I, too, try to take a small quantity of anything I might use during the trip.

Enjoy your cruise. I've loved all 18 of mine (with two more coming up soon!).

Best regards,

Linda

Hope you have a very enjoyable cruise!

Currency: in Mexico the US dollar is widely accepted. However, if you need change back for a large bill, the change will most likely be in pesos (like for cab fare or a souvenir stand). So carry lots of small bills, unless you want pesos for souvenirs!

OTC medications: My advice is carry small amounts of anything you think you might need. Buying on the ship is very expensive, and finding just what you want in port can be impossible. We keep a cosmetic bag packed with all the OTC meds/supplies just for cruises.

Excursions on your own: There are a multitude of cabs near the port, or in some places the port provides a shuttle. Be careful jumping into the first cab you see. Check to make sure they have an official ID displayed. Also settle on the fare with the driver before you get in. You may also be approached by tour operators around where the cabs are. We have occasionally done a tour right at the pier offered by drivers, once in the Bahamas, and in St. Lucia. But if you just want to wander around, there is always plenty of transportation available. One word of caution - if you are on a tour not provided by the cruiseline, and the unthinkable happens - vehicle breaks down or you don't arrive back at the ship on time, the ship will leave you behind. The ship will wait for cruiseline sponsored tours arriving late.

Is it better to arrive early for embarkation, or "on time" ?

I want to get on the ship just as early as possible. If disembarkation from the previous cruise goes on schedule, you should be able to begin boarding at around 11:30. If for any reason the previous cruise is delayed, it might mean waiting to board. Frankly, I don't mind a little bit of waiting, as long as it's not too disorganized and chaotic. I begin talking to folks and my anticipation grows... If you want to just breeze on board, I suggest arriving later.

Archived