Help To Get From Villefrance To Eze

Arlenedow

Arlene - there should be some talk about the trains from Villefranche on the Europe board - I remember reading about them when researching our Millie trans last year. Just do a search. Are you on the transatlantic? We ended up taking a ship's tour that included Eze, but we didn't spend much time there. It didn't end up mattering much because there were only one or two stores open that late in the year. What day of the week will you be in Villefranche? We were there on a Monday, and they have a great antique/flea market in the square in old Nice every Monday. I could have stayed there all day.

According to a website i saw (http://www.beyond.fr/villages/eze.html), both Villefranche and Eze are "on the main train line between Nice and Monaco-Ventimiglia" - so in theory, you should be able to catch a train from Villefranche to Eze.

I'd assume that there is a (public) bus that runs from Villefranche to Eze as well, but i dont know that to be fact.

Also - the "terminal" has a Tourism kiosk, and they should be able to help you out with bus and train routes/schedules.

(I hate to do this, but ML is schedule for Villefranch on 11/22, not 11/24)

Hope that helps

Hey Guys

My shore excursion guide shows that the Millennium will be in Villefranch on Saturday 25 November!

Yes, there is a really reliable train service which runs along the coast in each direction.

According to a website i saw (http://www.beyond.fr/villages/eze.html), both Villefranche and Eze are "on the main train line between Nice and Monaco-Ventimiglia" - so in theory, you should be able to catch a train from Villefranche to Eze.

I'd assume that there is a (public) bus that runs from Villefranche to Eze as well, but i dont know that to be fact.

The train runs to Eze Bord du Mer which is at sea level. Eze Village is at quite an elevation - we took bus #100 from Villefranche to Eze Bord du Mer and then bus #83 from Eze Bord du Mer to Eze Village, but according to the website, #83 only runs seasonally (May-Oct.)

I think another alternative is to go to Nice by bus or train and then take bus (#112) from Nice to Eze Village. That bus then goes on to Monaco.

http://www.eze-riviera.com/emotions/deplacement/ang/bus.htm

http://www.beyond.fr/villages/eze.html

The Nice train station is no fun and the bus station is not nearby. Check the Europe Board but it may be best to take the train to Monaco then the 112 bus to Eze. the train does not stop at the Eze you want to go to. Now if you are young and in good shape you can hike up to Eze from the train station.

Check out a map for St. Paul De Vence. It is similar to Eze, maybe a bit further away. It is my favorite place in the world.

I made the trip by train, walked to the bus staion(not reccommended), bus to St. Paul, bus back to Nice station, then bus back to Villefrance.

Eight months later I had the chance to return. I took the ship's tour to St. Paul. Bus at dock to St. Paul, and return to ship. Well worth the price difference for the hassles involved on your own. Took the digital camera and shot 120 shots in 2 hours. I has a mad lady on a mission.

Carol

I second the suggestion that you try St. Paul instead of Eze. Both are similar in feel, but I think that St. Paul has more to offer.

We have done St. Paul two times, once by bus and once by car.

We took the bus from Villefrance to Nice, then switched to the St. Paul bus. We also rented a car at the pier in Villefrance and drove (so much easier and much more fun). I think if you are not comfortable renting a car you should take the ship's tour up there.

CS

Thank you for all your replies. We will check out St Paul de Vence and ship's tours. I hit the wrong degit. We are on the transatlantic and I should have hit Nov. 25.

Thanks for the tip on Bus #83 not running in Nov. and that most of the shops in Eze are closed. There are +s and -s about going so late. Not many tourists but some attractions closed and transportation limited.

Arlene

Arlene,

Both Seabee and Susan M gave you excellent advice. I have been to most of the towns in the area (spent a week in Nice and went somewhere wonderful every day!). St. Paul and Vence are both bigger and have more of an "art scene' than Eze, but for breathtaking views, Eze has my vote. It is perched high above the sea while St. Paul and Vence are farther inland.

If you choose to go to Eze, my suggestion would be to catch the bus from Villefranche over the mountain to the Nice bus station (a quick, easy ride). Then you can transfer to the Eze bus. In my experience the train station in Villefranche can be overrun with cruisers (we had long lines). Then the train station in Nice is a good distance from the bus station, so it makes sense to avoid the trains.

Keep in mind that there is a lot of up-hill walking in all of these towns. The bus drops you at the town square and then you walk up into the walled city (with up the operative word!). To get to the bus stop in Villefranche, you also need to walk up (although I seem to recall a Sun bus (which is different than the larger, regular bus) and that goes around the peninsula (instead of over the top so it takes longer) that stops closer to the ship and that goes to the bus station in Nice.

Although I love to make my own travel arrangements, for a one day stop, ship's tours make sense in this part of the world. It's tiring to get around on your own and not time efficient. I made the mistake of taking the train (to both Monte Carlo and then to Nice!) the first time I cruised here and was so knocked out by the end of the day that I vowed never to do that again! Of course that was in the summer so the heat didn't help.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Linda

Archived