What can Cruise Critic do better?

editor@cruisecritic

One of our big goals for the rest of this year -- and the entirety of 2007 -- is to do a better job of not only representing U.K.-based and/or oriented cruiselines (with fresh reviews etc.) but also creating coverage that's aimed at an audience slightly different from the North American traveler. We'd love your help!

I've got a few questions and would really appreciate your candor and insights. Ideally, once we've pulled all our research together, the goal, whether on the P&O Board or the Island Cruises board or in ship reviews and features, is to address the vessels of interest to you -- and provide better info.

Okay, here goes. And if there's something I don't ask, feel free to suggest it! You can (ideally) post your thoughts here in this thread -- or don't hesitate to drop me a note at editor@cruisecritic.com. And a heartfelt...thanks.

Best regards,

Carolyn

1. What's the biggest difference between a North American ship and one built or designed for a U.K. traveler? (Royal Princess vs. Artemis is one example I can think of -- and incidentally we have a writer onboard on this cruise to review that ship).

2. What are the most important features -- services -- amenities onboard P&O ships? (i.e. balconies, alternative restaurants, bigger spas, kid facilities, flexibile dining, scheduled dining, etc.)?

3. Is there an issue related to cruising for Brits that we should be aware of and/or be covering?

4. What ports of call are of interest to you that we haven't covered (for instance, I know the Canary Islands are a big draw in the winter for Europeans, less so for North Americans -- though a tip: we've assigned three port profiles there). Anywhere else we're missing out?

5. What's your favorite British luxury line? (and just a bit of a heads-up; we have reviews on two Fred. Olsen ships waiting to launch (Boudicca among them) and just recently reviewed Hebridien Princess).

Thanks again.

One of our big goals for the rest of this year -- and the entirety of 2007 -- is to do a better job of not only representing U.K.-based and/or oriented cruiselines (with fresh reviews etc.) but also creating coverage that's aimed at an audience slightly different from the North American traveler. We'd love your help!

I've got a few questions and would really appreciate your candor and insights. Ideally, once we've pulled all our research together, the goal, whether on the P&O Board or the Island Cruises board or in ship reviews and features, is to address the vessels of interest to you -- and provide better info.

Okay, here goes. And if there's something I don't ask, feel free to suggest it! You can (ideally) post your thoughts here in this thread -- or don't hesitate to drop me a note at editor@cruisecritic.com. And a heartfelt...thanks.

Best regards,

Carolyn

1. What's the biggest difference between a North American ship and one built or designed for a U.K. traveler? (Royal Princess vs. Artemis is one example I can think of -- and incidentally we have a writer onboard on this cruise to review that ship).

2. What are the most important features -- services -- amenities onboard P&O ships? (i.e. balconies, alternative restaurants, bigger spas, kid facilities, flexibile dining, scheduled dining, etc.)?

3. Is there an issue related to cruising for Brits that we should be aware of and/or be covering?

4. What ports of call are of interest to you that we haven't covered (for instance, I know the Canary Islands are a big draw in the winter for Europeans, less so for North Americans -- though a tip: we've assigned three port profiles there). Anywhere else we're missing out?

5. What's your favorite British luxury line? (and just a bit of a heads-up; we have reviews on two Fred. Olsen ships waiting to launch (Boudicca among them) and just recently reviewed Hebridien Princess).

Thanks again.

Hi Carolyn,

I think the major differences are in the type of fellow passengers and of course the food.

I suggest the following ports of call could be covered: Atlantic islands, Norwegian fjords, Arctic region.

Also, the previous posters suggestion is a good idea as the P&O Australia and P&O UK are vastly different markets and I'm not, even as an Australian, interested in the local offerings.

Id second that, although that is kinda what this one has become "unofficially" :cool:

Wasn't aware of that -- let me take it back to the folks and see what we can do. Also, Australia cruising is also on our list -- we'll tackle that after U.K.

Thanks, and I hope folks keep posting. The port requests are especially helpful....

Carolyn

Further muddying the waters re P&O (UK) and P&O (Aus), is the current Princess marketing ploy of stationing one of their ships "down under" part time.

In the past, Pacific Princess has filled this roll, but in winter (US) 2007/08, Sun Princess will be in Australian waters and under nominal management of P&O (Aus); however Princess has included its sailings in the US brochure.

They do note that shipboard accounts, etc, will be in Australian dollars rather than US; and when I inquired if US Captain's Circle perks would accrue, after much hemming and hawing (and checking with supervisors) they opined that they probably would not.

Cruise Critic used to have Pacific Princess listed in Roll Call Forums of both lines, but hasn't moved Sun Princess to the P&O Roll Call Forum.

Thank you Carolyn,

This board has certainly changed over the years and is continuing to evolve.When I first joined CC very few people visited these pages,in fact I can remember one post where someone asked if anyone ever visited?

After Sky Princess,Pacific Sky,came downunder, this board began to pick up.We now have Pacific Star ,Pacific Sun and soon ,will have Pacific Dawn plus a Princess ship to ourselves each summer.Add to this the big guns of Princess, Diamond and Sapphire, doing seasons, and the other cruise lines following her lead into the the market,HAL,Celebrity and now Royal Caribbean, and cruising from Australia is starting to look up.

In the years to come as the Australian fleet is "modernised" I would love to see North Americans coming on down to cruise with us.At the moment I don't think they would fly all that way to cruise on their cast off ships.

We have, as well as our own country, wonderful Pacific Islands to visit and there has been great interest from overseas in the Around Australia cruise,as it is being done on a newish ship.

Our market is still small ,but a separation of the UK, and Au P&O, would be welcomed .Perhaps the Australian section could include all lines that cruise and call here .

I also think that as more and more of us cruise in this part of the world ,we start to look further afield and through your boards discover the wonderful World of cruising that is open to us.

Thank you for providing a wonderful and open forum where we can all share ideas,and learn from each other.

I third that, but perhaps make it a Aussie & NZ one since P&O also leaves from Auckland!! :)

+ 1

The first time I came to these forums, I seriously didnt realise till days after that the P&O forum also includes P&O UK coz most of the topics on the page were Australian based. Definitely needs to be a P&O AU/NZ only forum :)

A "P&O Australia" site does cover both Australia and New Zealand. The Company is based in Oz and sails from Sydney, Brisbane and Auckland.

I have been off the scene for a while but I also *think* I recall a whole heap of us requesting a "Down Under specific" forum sometime last year and it was rejected. Maybe now it can get more consideration even if it is a "Down Under" site and not P&O specific - Whatever. :confused:

It must be very confusing for our British friends when they come here and most of the talk is about ships they have never heard of before.

Anyway, thank you for the opportunity to have a say.

Regards to all.

A "P&O Australia" site does cover both Australia and New Zealand. The Company is based in Oz and sails from Sydney, Brisbane and Auckland.

Well New Zealand is just an "unofficial" (i like using that term these days:D) state of Australia, so it wouldnt really matter if it was just called the P&O Australia Forum.

Well New Zealand is just an "unofficial" (i like using that term these days:D) state of Australia

That's a very brave statement!! :rolleyes: I live with a Kiwi - and thus associate with a lot of them too - and they don't like NZ to be thought of as just another state of Australia (official or unofficial).

Still it's is good way of stirring them up - you're guaranteed to get a bite:D

Still it's is good way of stirring them up - you're guaranteed to get a bite:D

Thats what i like to do best. Especially since there is a certain cricket semi final between the two very soon and the marvelous Tri Nations comp too.

Australian-New Zealand rivalry, where would we be without it:D

Well New Zealand is just an "unofficial" (i like using that term these days:D) state of Australia, so it wouldnt really matter if it was just called the P&O Australia Forum.
No, no, my Kiwi friends here insist that there are three islands to New Zealand: the North Island, the South Island and the West Island.

No, no, my Kiwi friends here insist that there are three islands to New Zealand: the North Island, the South Island and the West Island.

What you have said is so true. Our 1st and 2nd Rugby Union and Cricket teams come from the North and South Islands and our 3rd and below teams come from the West Island.;)

However the West Island is a nice place to visit every now and again.:)

Roland

2002 Pacific Sky (September from Sydney)

2003 Pacific Sky (September from Sydney)

2004 Pacific Sky (August from Auckland)

2005 Pacific Sun (September from Sydney)

2006 Pacific Sun (September from Sydney)

2007 Pacific Star (August from Brisbane R729 - already booked):)

As indeed is that other Australian state to our east ;) Looking forward to our visit at Christmas.

Oh yes. I forgot you are coming over here at Christmas. I hope you have a great time and that the weather is good for you.:)

I'm sorry I mentioned the cricket now after last nights game. Oh well, we can't win all the time, or I should say, we can't win at all.;)

Regards

Roland

+ 1

The first time I came to these forums, I seriously didnt realise till days after that the P&O forum also includes P&O UK coz most of the topics on the page were Australian based. Definitely needs to be a P&O AU/NZ only forum :)

Yes I agree. I have only just joined this board, having cruised mainly on P&O 8 times. However, I joined via the Celebrity boards, as our next cruise in November is with them.

I had looked in on the P&O area, but thought is was only Australian P&O!!! We were on the Oceana this June and it would have been fun to look on here before sailing!

Kate

Have y'all noticed we now have created separate boards for P&O Australia and P&O UK? Check 'em out. And thanks for the great feed back. Particularly about the destinations -- Norwegian fjords are definitely on our list as are Atlantic islands. Madeira, by the way, just launched this week and we're featuring the Canaries very soon....

Carolyn

Hi! Although you address UK based ships, most of the posting in the P&O forum is done by Aussies who are on South Pacific cruises. I don't know if you would consider a separate P&O Australia board?

• 1 month later...

When you do any other site regards UK Ports can you PLEASE not put Southampton London UK.

Southampton is NOT London it is quite away away and London does have its own docks.

Southampton is in Hampshire NOT London.

Many of the cruise sites and magazines from the United States always put Southampton London UK.

Thanks

Hi. I hear you -- we've debated this in-house for awhile. We're launching a new port profile in 2007 for Southampton and it does include places to stay and things to do there.

But it must said, in all fairness, that for North Americans who are cruising out of one of the U.K. ports, London's the big draw. So that's why it's included. The new profile will simplify the relationship, however.

Best,

Carolyn

When you do any other site regards UK Ports can you PLEASE not put Southampton London UK.

Southampton is NOT London it is quite away away and London does have its own docks.

Southampton is in Hampshire NOT London.

Many of the cruise sites and magazines from the United States always put Southampton London UK.

Thanks

Archived