Returning to the ship

Nectarologist

You never know what can happen when you're in port. Consider the passengers, several years ago, that were stranded on shore overnight when the Amsterdam had to leave the harbor in Stanley (Falkland Is) due to weather. Most didn't have necessary medications with them, I don't take my meds ashore either.

I didn't until that episode. Now I carry a day's supply of all my meds when I go ashore---especially careful when there's a tender involved.

If there were a medical emergency at least it could be determined what meds I'm on---and by inference what medical conditions I have. Not a bad thing at all.

John,

When I read the Captain's log I wondered if it was the same incident. I began to think it wasn't as he was describing himself as a junior officer. The incident sounds very similar but the one I'm talking about happened since I have been on this board so it would have to be after June 2003, .... Unless someone was recounting an earlier story. I seem to remember that it was a separate post and the Amsterdam was mentioned by name. In the book the captain didn't mention the name of the ship or even the cruise line. Can you add any details?

Thanks,

GN

Hello. What does hal require to get back on the ship when in port? Is the key card all we need or do they require us to carry a license too?

Thanks for the info.:)

You'll need to take a picture ID (the folks at the port can't see your picture on your key card) and you'll need your key card so HAL can see your picture on the ship card reader.:)

John,

When I read the Captain's log I wondered if it was the same incident. I began to think it wasn't as he was describing himself as a junior officer. The incident sounds very similar but the one I'm talking about happened since I have been on this board so it would have to be after June 2003, .... Unless someone was recounting an earlier story. I seem to remember that it was a separate post and the Amsterdam was mentioned by name. In the book the captain didn't mention the name of the ship or even the cruise line. Can you add any details?

Thanks,

GN

GN, you are right and thanks for enlightening me! The chapter in Hans Mateboer's book definitely did not occur in or after 2003. He doesn't mention the ship but there is no doubt he's not a captain yet. I wasn't aware that there was more than one "stranding" in Stanley of HAL passengers.

I think now that they have pictures associated w/ the keycards in the shipboard security system, they don't necessarily need photo-id to reboard the ship these days in most Carribean, Alaskan and Mexican ports...

...However it's always a good idea to bring your government-issued photo-id and a copy of your passport with you off the ship should some unforseen circumstance occur that might have you get involved w/ the local authorities or miss the ship as without them it will greatly delay your ability to travel to meet up with the ship or regain entry to the states.

In the Bahamas and Mexico you have to pass through the Mexican and Bahamian guards and they need to see a picture ID to let you through. They have no way of knowing if your key card is you or not.

It's not a good idea to take your passport off the ship because if you lose it or someone takes it, you won't be able to get back into the country.

Quote "It's not a good idea to take your passport off the ship because if you lose it or someone takes it, you won't be able to get back into the country."

May be a minor inconvenience but at least I'll probably be able to get back on the ship and deal with it in the US. But, I'll be "back in the country" standing on good old US soil when they ask me to prove I'm a citizen.

Will it not be a bigger problem getting back into the country if you end up having to come back through a means other than on the ship? I'd rather be talking to the immigration agent in Miami discussing why I don't have my passport than in some foreign country trying to book an airline reservation back to the US. My lawyer will not be an international telephone call from Miami.

Obviously, these foreign governments are starting to ask for ID's other than a sail'n sign card to leave their country and get back on the ship. You are not in Florida, you are in a FOREIGN country where you have no protection of US laws. The ship is even not registered in the US.

John,

I may not be right. The sketchy details that I remember may be influenced by what i read in "The Captain's Log". Maybe Doug or Walt will be able to help. It does sound strange that there may have been more than one "stranding". I know that that chapter caught my attention because of the posts or news I saw on this board.

GN

Just got off the the Westerdam and it was advised to bring photo id onshore at every port. Only in Grand Cayman were we asked to show photo id before getting on the tender, but as everyone stated it could come in very handy and would always bring it with me.

jac

We always take our photo ID, HAL card, and a copy of our passport with us on shore. The actual passport stays in the safe. There is always a chance of being robbed in port, like there is anywhere, and we don't want to lose our passports.

Using your brain! Good for you!

We always take our photo ID, HAL card, and a copy of our passport with us on shore. The actual passport stays in the safe. There is always a chance of being robbed in port, like there is anywhere, and we don't want to lose our passports.

If you carry your passport, but leave a copy in the safe, then if you are robbed the copy can be used at the American embassy/consulate to get a quick replacement.

If you carry the copy, but leave the original in the safe, when you miss the ship's sailing the local authorities will detain you until a new passport can be obtained.

I'd rather be sitting in the ambassador's waiting room than in the lockup in Casa Sonambula :rolleyes:

Truth is that we've never been asked for anything but our key card in the Caribbean...at least so far.

Nor I. Also in Hawaii, nothing more than the room card has been requested.

I think the purpose of bringing some sort of ID with you on port is more in case you missed the ship or for some reason got stuck there (took ill, etc.) and the ship had to sail without you. In that case, having your passport or some other form of ID with you would be a lifesaver. That's why I always bring a copy of my passport whenever I leave the ship.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived