Rum Cakes?

phabric

There are several Tortuga rum cake stores near the pier where the tenders dock--you can sample all the different flavors.

If you are sailing on RCL, Tortuga rumcakes are available in the gift shop on board--would save you the hassle of having to carry them around with you in the Caymans. The onboard prices were comparable to those in the Tortuga store on the island.

Just be aware though, that if you plan on buying booze on the island, don't wait until the last minute. You cannot buy liquor and carry it with you---due to some local regulations, the store must transport the liquor to the ship. There is a cutoff time where they will no longer sell to cruise passengers--usually about 2 hours before sailing--some stores post the cutoff time. We didn't know this the first time--had wanted to buy some Black Dick's rum and couldn't because we waited until after our shore excursion and it was too late.

Indeed purchases of liquor at the duty free stores must be delivered to the ship. Shop early, when you first get off the ship.

There are many gift shops selling rum cake near the tender piers. Several of these offer samples. My favorite is still the golden original flavor of Tortuga Rum Cake.

If you really want to stock up, ask if a case purchase of rum cakes can be deliverd to your ship. If the shop is selling duty free liquor as well, they just might deliver the rum cakes too.

If you visit the turtle farm, they sell Hook run cakes. Our favorite was the Hook Hurricane (chocolate and vanilla swirl). They had them sitting on a table inside the snack bar area.

We also bought Tortuga cakes at their shop in town. The first time we visited Grand Cayman was on a ship (Carnival), and they sold Tortuga Rum Cakes in the gift shop.

Hi TwinkleToes,

I'm going to Grand Cayman next week (on a cruise) and am wondering if the Turtle Farm is worth a visit. We're going to stingray sandbar and then on an excursion that goes to Hell and the Turtle Farm. What did you think of it? Was it fun? How long did you spend there?

Thanks!!

Hi TwinkleToes,

I'm going to Grand Cayman next week (on a cruise) and am wondering if the Turtle Farm is worth a visit. We're going to stingray sandbar and then on an excursion that goes to Hell and the Turtle Farm. What did you think of it? Was it fun? How long did you spend there?

Thanks!!

The first time we went to the turtle farm, we went to the old one. This past January, the new one was up and going, so we stopped in for a quick visit. It was packed with tour buses, so we didn't do a tour of the farm, but instead went to the gift shop. I noticed the table (in the food area) of run cakes, so I went in there to get a few.

The first time we were on the island, we were on a cruise, so we booked an island tour which took us to Hell and the Turtle Farm. We enjoyed it, but we mainly took the tour so we could see some of the island (we thought we wanted to come back for a week, and we ended up doing that).

Basically our tour went like this (and yours probably will also)....

We drove down the 7MB area. We stopped at the Gov's Mansion (outside the gate). You don't get out, but the guide tells you all about the place. We were there for maybe 4 minutes. Then we stopped at this old house that has sand and shells in the yard. I believe someone lives here, so we just heard about this house, took a few pictures and left. We were there maybe 4 minutes.

Then we were off to Hell. There are two (maybe three) different places that you could stop. The first time we were there, we stopped at the part of Hell that has the smaller gift shop. There was a cut-out of the devil (you stood next to him for photos), but in January, he was gone. Probably blown away by Ivan. This past January, we drove to the other Hell (which is just a short, short walk from the place we went the first time). This is the one you see where the guy dresses like the devil. They have a bigger gift shop, and have a cut-out of a devil and an angel that you stand behind (the faces are cut out) for a photo op. Both places have a deck area that you can stand on and look at the rock formations. Now which of these you will go to, who knows. I suppose the drivers and the owners must have a deal of some sort, or maybe they go to the one that has less buses. But they both have about the same thing, we just like the one with the bigger gift shop better. I think we were there probably 15-20 minutes or so (which is really enough time).

Then we were off to the turtle farm. Again, at that time, it was at the old location, which is next to the Tortuga Rum Cake Factory (although it's not very big. I do believe there's a window and you can watch them making cakes, but it's a tiny kitchen, from what I remember). We did the turtle tour (it wasn't that impressive, but my kids enjoyed it). Then we walked to the Rum place and sampled cakes and bought a few things. This part took longer. I think we were at the turtle farm for 25 minutes or a little longer, then we were in the rum cake place for another 15-20 minutes.

Where your tour would be different is that the new Turtle Farm is up the street a bit from the old one. They would probably drop you off at the farm, then you'd probably drive to the Rum Cake Factory.

Then we drove back toward 7MB, but took a cut-off that put us right in the port area. I believe we met our tour bus at 8:30 and she had us back in the port area around 10:30.

I don't know if this is exactly what you'll do on your tour, but when we were there in January, we had a car, and we saw all the tour buses doing basically the same thing.

IMO, if you have the time, it's fun to do. We thought we would have had enough time to spend some time on the beach, but we didn't. We did the island tour, the stingray snorkle, then Captain Marvin's dropped us at Rackham's for a late lunch, and we had to hussle to make it back to the ship tender line by 3:00.

So it really depends on what you want to do with your time. My hubby is not a beach person, so he loved the little island tour. The kids were a tad bored, but I really wanted to see as much of the island as possible. The Turtle Farm, IMO, is a one-time thing. I probably wouldn't do the whole tour again. Although, I have read that they have opened (or are opening) something called Boatswain Beach. I don't know what that is exactly, or what there is to do there, but it's either part of, or near the turtle farm.

The stingray's are just amazing!! That's probably our favorite thing to do there. Have a great time! :)

Hi TwinkleToes,

Thanks!!

This sounds like the same tour we booked for our Royal Caribbean Cruise next week!

We can't wait! It goes to Turtle Farm, Hell, and Stingray City.

Perhaps we'll all be there at the same time! :)

Hi again Twinkletoes,

Thanks for the information. It sounds like it should be a great day. I figured Hell and the Turtle Farm would be pretty cheesy but that's ok for a one time tour :) We're not really beach people either so the drive/tour will probably be better for us anyways. I'm hoping to have at least a little time to scour the shops in Georgetown (mostly looking for the perfect Christmas ornament:p).

New2Cruisin - we'll be in Grand Cayman on November 9th so we'll wave at your ship if we see it! Have an amazing cruise!!

traveladdicted....

We enjoyed the tour since we'd not been there before. I'd say it was a one-time thing for us, but it was fun to see that part of the island. I videotaped all the hotels/condos so I'd have an idea of what they looked like and where they were (along the 7MB area) for our next trip when we spent the week there.

We found several Xmas ornaments at the shop next door to Captain Marvin's. I think the building is called Waterfront Centre (the building is yellow). It's a short walk from the port area (maybe 3-4 minutes). They had a lot of shell ornaments, which I loved. They also had an assortment of shirts, ref. magnets, frames, and things along that line.

There was another place that had several ornaments...I think it was the Blue Iguana. It was to the right of the port area. It was up near the Hard Rock.

If you walk down Cardinal Street (which is right in the port area, and then at the stop sign cross the street that runs at a diagonal, you'll see a gift shop. They had lots of Xmas ornaments.

My very favorite place to shop was Pure Art. It's about a mile out of town (away from 7MB area) toward the right of the port area. They had all sorts of really neat things. Lots of local artists displayed everything from Xmas ornaments, to paintings. I'm not sure how you'd get there...other than take a cab. It would be a bit of a walk. Here's their website in case you decide to venture that direction...

http://www.pureart.ky/

Have a wonderful time on your cruise! :)

Archived