Mt. Roberts Tramway

cmyers

Does anyone know if you can book Mt. Roberts Tramway on your own? The cruise tour is $22pp but says 5 min ride to top and 1 hour at the top. How far is it from where the ship docks in Juneau? Thanks in advance for any info on this.

You can walk over and buy your ticket and board at any time, and cheaper, than you can do it through Shore Excursions.

It's right in front of where the ships dock. If you want to see some photos, you can find them linked below from my Alaska Cruise on the Volendam last Sept.

Guest Anorak33

Yes its right by where the ships dock, at most a 5 minute stroll if your ship happens to be the furthest away from town.

We stood at the bottom and looked up at the tramway and thought it didn't look worth the fare, unlike the Cape Town Table Mountain one which is fantastic.

We didn't go on it so our opinion is not worth much I guess. Anyone who has been on it may think it worth the expense. The floatplane ride sounds much better. We'll do that next time.

I did the Mt. Roberts Tramway and thought it was well worth the money, and so did the other 6 people in my party, including 3 children. There's more to it than meets the eye.

Once we got to the top, we visited a nature center, did some souvenir shopping, drank an Alaskan beer and listened to a singer, and watched a wonderful movie on the history of the Tlingit Indian tribe and their culture. Two young Tlinglit men were there to answer questions and to teach us a few words in their native language.

As others have said, the tram is near the dock, and it's cheaper to just walk over there and purchase your tickets. The tram runs continuously so you're in no danger of missing your ship (unless the cable snaps....yikes!). Then you have bigger problems than just missing your ship.

Roz

When we did our May cruise we thought the Mt. Roberts Tramway was wonderful. The view was breathtaking, and we hiked to the top of mountain through the snow covered paths, made us feel adventureous. I think if I remember right you can also purchase the mendenhall glacier trip at the ticket office and actually saves $5 a ticket I think.

We spent over 3 hours up top with the Indian presentation and the hike. THere are so many neat things to do in Alaska it is hard to pick, but we felt this one was well worth the money. We were on back to backs so had been in Juneau the week before and did the helicopter to mendenhall so wanted to do a little cheaper activity on our second leg of trip. Very pleasantly surprised. Probably wouldn't advise it if the sky wasn't clear.

Have a great time, sure you will:) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :)

Rev. Neal is correct. You can walk over there on buy on the spot. If you have ever seen Patrick and Matilda on a cruise, there is quite a little dialogue about the Mt. Roberts Tramway. Matilda--through Patrick the ventiloquist--calls it the "Mt. Roberts Scam."

HIMSELF

I can be contacted at: jtmcgeean@sbcglobal.net

Not only did we take the tram up, we hiked down... it about a 2 hour hike down from the top.. Though the trail down is not indicated anywhere , if you ask in the gift shop they point out where to pick up the trail down ... the trail ends in a residential area about 2 miles from the ships... Wow , we did'nt see a living soul on the way down, but saw alot of animal and bear tracks on the trail .. All in All we managed to hit Mendenhall and also hike Mt Roberts all in one afternoon.. Fantastic day !!

Srpilo

I was there late last September and visibility was a problem. The ceiling was around 300 feet and the rare car that went up, just disappeared into the clouds. I was wondering if those who signed up through HAL could get a refund. It was one of the activities that I had really wanted to go on, but it would have been a complete waste given the conditions. The last cruise of the season may not have been a good choice (although I escaped all of the crowds).

SFJ

Archived