Things to do in Mykonos and Santorini Greece

For Santorini, my three top tips would be:-

1. Visit the village of Oia (pronounced ee-ya) at the northern tip of the island.
  2. See the ruins at Akrotiri.
  3. Sit in a cafe or bar on the edge of the cliff in Fira, the main town, and just watch the scenery.

If you search for these subjects, there are lots of posts on the boards with more information.

In Mykanos I would first of all have a look at the Windmills and the pelicans and then I would catch the local bus and go round to one of the lovely beaches - such as Paradise - and relax in the sun.

Jennie.

Despite what you may hear to the contrary,.........we would highly recommend taking the donkeys from the ship up to Fira. It was one of the many highlights of our entire trip. You can take the gondola back down,....which is also fun and very pretty.

I think it cost 5 euros for the donkeys and about the same for the gondola. But definitely take the donkeys, up! You won't regret it, and you will have another wonderful and unique memory of Santorini.

Enjoy!

If you are at all interested in antiquity, take the ferry (about 45 minutes) from Mykonos to Delos, which has some of the most interesting ruins in Greece. Prepare yourself by looking up Delos in any of the guide books, and if you liked Pompeii you will find yourself well rewarded by a trip to Delos. On Santorini the only thing I would have to add is take a look at the Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Fira. I think it is an underappreciated beauty.

Zebra,

It seemed like it took about 20-30 minutes for the donkey ride up the hill. The gondola ride would probably take about the same amount of time, due to the fact that you have to wait to get on the gondolas.

The donkeys are self-guided. You get on at the bottom and they navigate all the switchbacks up the hill on their own. It's a very comfortable ride. Also, unlike some donkeys and horses I've seen in other countries, these donkeys are well cared for and fed.

ZEBRA, YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE DONKEYS!!!!

Enjoy!!!!!

We enjoyed shopping in Mykonos. Stopping for cappucino in the Oasis Cafe and then heading to the beach. We went to Platos Yialos(sp?) topless optional and had a blast. Lots of people but didn't feel crowded. got two chairs and umbrella for 7 euros. Ate a great lunch right at beach with discount for using chairs. Took the bus for.90 euro one way. Watched the sun set and walked back to catch bus to ship. Nice seeing it at night. Had room service on balcony. AHHHHH! Santorini..we took cable car. I am a bit scared to get on the back of animals(personal thing). Shopped a bit and then took bus and went to Oia. Very nice, quiet, beautiful! Walked down over 400+ steps to water and ate at little restaurant suggested by merchant. Ordered our fish by the kg. and watched them cook it on big grill. Had tomato balls and greek salad! Yummy! Lots of wonderful red wine! My hubby jumped into the water for quick swim! The restaurnant called us a cab. Cab wasn't cheap but not unreasonable as I recall. He took us back to Fira and back to ship we went. Fun day!

I did enjoy reading of your day in Mykonos. We stayed at a lovely resort on Platos Yialos in 1995 and I can picture the restaurants on the edge of the sand.

We also went to Santorini that year and are returing in October this year on the Prinsendam. I would love to eat at the restaurant you mentioned in Oia. Can you remember anything of the name? We are going to have a very similar day to yours in Santorini, having been there before.

Jennie

As previouslt suggested go to Oia. But for a real treat go past Oia to end of road and go to Amoudi a small harbor lined with restuarants and colorful small fishing boats. Eat at the last restuarant on end and have their tomato fritters a local delicacy. Good wine, seafood, salad, etc. Take a short hike around point and snorkel or swim out to a small island with chapel on it. Not many tourists know about this place. Enjoy.

We rented a car in Fira. Amoudi is only about 1 mile past Oia, just follow the signs. There is a sign at far end off town on main road. You will come to end of road that goes right to water and not be able to see anything. Have no fear, just park car and walk around corner and you'll see a beautiful little harbor.:D

I think the restaurant was called Katerina's. Amoudi sounds great! Will definitely check that out next time. You can't go wrong in Santorini. We were quite proud of our long walk down those steps and what gorgeous scenery.

We earned our good meal. This restaurant is outside under cover, very basic.

Those tomato fritters(balls) are delicious! Have fun!

PlanK and Doubled,

Thanks so much for your information. I cannot wait to return to Santorini if only for a day.

It is so beautiful and we are so looking forward to going to the other side of the island and having lunch over there.

This time we will get the cable car up, last time we went by donkey and walked back.

Jennie

Archived