Cruising with 3 yr old twins - sleeping accomodations?

ELA

We've cruised before in outside cabins, never in a sutie. Now with the twins, I'm trying to figure out what people usualy do for sleeping arrangements with two little ones. Do you somehow fit in a regular cabin or is it customary to always get a suite - or do you get two connected cabins?

Thanks,

Elizabeth

We have two little boys. A 2 year old and 3&1/2 year old. We are going in December on their first cruise so my husband and I decided that 2 balcony cabins next to each other would be best. This way we can separate them at nap times and night time. They sleep better apart as we have found in hotel rooms. It is a lot more expensive this way but feel it is worth it! We will also have more room for them to play with toys and to get dressed,etc.

We've cruised before in outside cabins, never in a sutie. Now with the twins, I'm trying to figure out what people usualy do for sleeping arrangements with two little ones. Do you somehow fit in a regular cabin or is it customary to always get a suite - or do you get two connected cabins?

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Why not book a cabin with a sofa bed in it. Not sure I would want 3 year olds in a balcony cabin on their own. :cool:

Why not book a cabin with a sofa bed in it. Not sure I would want 3 year olds in a balcony cabin on their own. :cool:

There's really no way a 3 year old could open the door to a balcony - I have a hard time doing it myself!

I must not have been clear on what I stated. There is no way I would leave my children alone in any kind of cabin. I said they sleep better apart so my husband and I each sleep with a child in different cabins. We feel this is best for the children.

• 2 weeks later...

we are leaving next week to cruise with our 3yr old twins. we have a balcony cabin with a king size bed. they are going to set up the 2 small beds in the room (one of them is the pull down one, like the top bunk of a bunk bed:eek: )

i'll have to check back when we return but i wouldn't be surprised if dh&i end up in the bunks with the twins enjoying the king size bed!

this is our second cruise with the twins. on the last cruise they were 21mo and we had 2 small cribs in the room with us. space was never really a problem but part of that was b/c we cruise with a big group including my parents so we hung out in their suite a good bit.

Not sure what ship / line you are talking about, but here's my experience:

On RCI Jewel we had a Junior Suite which had the adult beds and a pull out sofa bed. it was a full width sofa bed, so our two kids, then age 6 & 3, slept side by side on the sofa bed. It was wide enuf that we could pile pillows between them to separate them. They were usually tired enuf that they only fooled around for a few minutes before they fell asleep. There was a curtain to pull between our bed and theirs, and although their bed was closer to the balcony, there was plenty of room to walk around the bed to get outside in the evening. The JS had a bathtub, not just a shower like in the D1 balcony and smaller balcony cabins, and was wider than the D1 cabin - but same layout as D1 just more space plus tub. We found it more than adequate for them and all their stuff. Plus because the cabin itself is wider, the balcony is wider too so you get a much bigger nicer balcony.

On Princess we've used the AA, AB, AC, AD category Minisuite - smaller sofa bed so the 6 year old slept up top in the pullout bunk. The room is long and narrow - they add storage space in the middle and longer with the sofa instead of making it wider. There is very little room to get around the pulled out bed to use the balcony - pretty much almost impossible without waking the kids, and no curtain so if your lights are on they shine on the kids.

Personally, I prefer the layout of the RCI JS to the Princess Minisuite, but its personal taste more than anything else. Princess B* category balcony cabins do not have sofas, instead two bunks pull down and out of the ceiling over the two twin beds on the floor. The floor beds cannot be pushed together because the bunk's ladders much come down into the space in between the twins on the floor.

The big advantage with two cabins is you get two toilets!! But I'd only consider it if the rooms joined and the door would stay open all the time, not just access across the balcony.

My son was about 3 1/2 in April and COULD open the balcony door on the RCI Jewel, and at just 4, COULD open the balcony door on the Caribbean Princess.

There are pictures of these cabins around on the web and from links' on these boards, (other people's pictures not mine) - I can probably find them again if you can't - just post.

Archived