Mexican Riviera Cruise: What Can We Expect

Editor

You are going a little late in the season. It will be cool, when you leave L.A., you may want a sweater or sweatshirt. After you pass the southern tip of Baja (Cabo), it will get hot and humid. It will stay hot until you return and pass Cabo again. Then you may need that sweater again.

The seas can be a little rough between Cabo and L.A. this usually occurs on the return trip. Once you go South of Cabo it is usually calm.

The water is alot cooler in the pacific than we are used to in the caribbean...and not as pretty. But we still enjoyed the cruise. Check out Randi's HAppy Horses if you stop in Matazalan - great beach ride (IMHO)

Sandy

You are going a little late in the season. It will be cool, when you leave L.A., you may want a sweater or sweatshirt. After you pass the southern tip of Baja (Cabo), it will get hot and humid. It will stay hot until you return and pass Cabo again. Then you may need that sweater again.

The seas can be a little rough between Cabo and L.A. this usually occurs on the return trip. Once you go South of Cabo it is usually calm.

Well said. I totally agree. This is a typical Mex. Riv. experience.

As someone who has done this route twice and Baja a few times, I can agree with what Tom says.

It's not all that rough. As long as you use both web belts while lying on your bed, you won't get thrown over the rail! ;)

You may feel a little pitching, but modern ships are engineered to be remarkably stable. But you will feel some motion. To me, that's part of cruising. The motion 'o de ocean is what lets me know I'm onboard a fantastic ship and not just in a Grand Hyatt somewhere.

Thanks for the feedback.

When you say that the going will be a bit rough between Cabo and LA, how rough is rough? This is our first cruise by the way (with a VERY reluctant hubby in tow).

It's also a long way to go, so the Diamond will probably be going 20-23 knots back to San Pedro Pier. Add a bit of rough waters and it makes for as they say in Harry Potter, "It's going to be a bumpy ride". :D

When you say that the going will be a bit rough between Cabo and LA, how rough is rough? This is our first cruise by the way (with a VERY reluctant hubby in tow).

Of course, the sea is a variable, but if you have "average conditions" you won't notice any motion on the way down, but will feel it on the way back. This is because there is normally a North to South current along the Baja Coast. While going south it is great, but the nothbound trip against the current causes the ship to rise and fall a bit. This is more noticeable in the forward part of the ship. It will feel a little bit like decending in an elevator. Like jhannah said the ships systems take care of most movement, especially rocking. Unless you are unlucky and have a storm, I don't think it will bother you.

The Ports. I am assuming you are asking about 3 ports. Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas.

P.V.: The ship docks a little ways from the main tourist area. You can easily reach it with a short taxi ride. Once there, there is a nice beach, lots of shops, restaurants, and bars. So you don't need to have an excursion here unless you want to. There is also a pavillion area right next to the ship where there are lots of shops.

Mazatlan: The ship docks in an industrial area, there is nothing nearby except for a large building with lots of sellers booths inside. This would be a good place for an excursion, because there is nothing to see by the ship.

Cabo: This port is a tender port (ship anchors offshore and you are brought in by small boats [tenders]). Normally you only have half a day here. There are lots of things you can walk to here, beaches, restaurants, bars. Most of the excursions here are nautical in nature, whale watching, etc.

Note: Although P.V. and Mazatlan have piers where the ship can dock, there is always the possibility that you will be tendered ashore, due to lack of space at pier, or other reasons.

On the downside: One problem with any Mexican port, is the hassle of trying to avoid the venders who use very aggressive sales tactics. After a few hours of being harassed by them you may want to return to the ship for some relaxation.

I agree about feeling it worse in front. Back in '92 on our way back from Mexico we had a cabin waaaaay foreward and as luck would have it, we ran into some very rough seas. Oooohhhhhhh....all I can say is ::URP:: We were really pitching to the point that I thought we were hitting something each time we came back down. We were hitting something--the water---HARD! I make a point of now of never booking a cabin up front and preferably midship. We were also on a smaller ship. I've sailed to Mexico since then, both on larger ships, and in cabins located midship. While there is still that motion coming back, it was nothing like we experienced in ' 92. In fact, the only two times I ever felt motion sickness were my two first cruises, '88 being the very first. We ran into rough seas on the way down which is unusual. The storm passed and things were smooth sailing from then on. I was also naive about taking Bonine preventatively or cabin location. Now I come prepared! I've also learned not to fight it. If the ship is rolling or pitching a bit, I just go with the flow now.

Of course, the sea is a variable, but if you have "average conditions" you won't notice any motion on the way down, but will feel it on the way back. This is because there is normally a North to South current along the Baja Coast. While going south it is great, but the nothbound trip against the current causes the ship to rise and fall a bit. This is more noticeable in the forward part of the ship. It will feel a little bit like decending in an elevator. Like jhannah said the ships systems take care of most movement, especially rocking. Unless you are unlucky and have a storm, I don't think it will bother you.

The seas in the Pacific are definitely rougher than the Caribbean. You're out in the open ocean, not the relatively protected waters of the caribbean or Gulf of Mexico. We have had both good and very rough seas in this area, but the latter was because we were in the tail end of a hurricane. That won't happen in April.

I don't particularly recall any especially rough seas coming up the coast when we went in April 2002, and I was on a higher deck, but mid-ship. On the other hand when we went on an Eastern Caribbean cruise in August the sea was very rough because of a hurricane nearby. So you never know - part of the uncertainty with cruising.

Regarding ports, since this is the first cruise you've been on, I don't think you will be too disappointed in the Mexican Riveria as you have no other ports to compare it to. ;) This cruise is really for taking it easy. Not particularly interesting ports. In terms of shopping it doesn't hold a candle to Caribbean or Alaska. In terms of scenary it doesn't really compare either. The best shopping is a Puerto Vallarta - if you like folk art and craft, especially.

Also would advise drinking bottled water and be careful of the ice while in port. We weren't careful enough and had a bout of the GI problem the last days of the cruise.

We went on a tour in Matzalan to a remote village and it was OK. Snorkeled at Cabo, which was nice. We happened upon one of the last migrating mommy whale and its calf, which was especial. If you do any tours at Cabo you won't have time to visit the town, as the ship is only there for 1/2 day and it was tendered when we went.

This cruise I thought appeal to those who live in the LA/SD area, since it's convenient - it's quite relaxing to drive there, park and hop on a cruise and take it easy. Not sure what the appeal is if you live in the east coast, as Caribbean is a lot closer...

To those who have sailed this itinerary -

If you had a choice of booking this itinerary in Feb. or early March of 2007 or Nov. 4 of 2007, which would you prefer? When is the weather better?

Generally the weather seems to stay the same all year round once you get south of some point. As for LA, our rainy season (and there's predictions of a heavier El Nino year for 2006-07) usually starts in November and runs through March.

To those who have sailed this itinerary -

If you had a choice of booking this itinerary in Feb. or early March of 2007 or Nov. 4 of 2007, which would you prefer? When is the weather better?

I prefer January. The reason?: My wife and I are among those people who are always too hot. We live in the L.A. area and hardly use our heater at all in winter, but run up a big electric bill running our air conditioner in the summer. So we feel a bit uncomfortably warm South of Cabo. January is the coolest month for that area so that is when we go. I have never been down that way in summer, but I have heard it is unbearably hot then. But, that is why these cruises don't go down there then.

So, my advice is if you enjoy very warm weather go fall or spring, otherwise mid-winter is good.

As Cruisin' Chic said there is a chance of storms in L.A. at this time, and I agree with the time frame she mentioned, but I would add that the months that have the greatest risk of storm are January and February.

Thanks again everyone!

Living in New York, we've been to the Caribbean many times. A cruise there does not really interest us that much. You know, "been there, done that." I've been to Playa del Carmen twice and loved it, so visiting the Pacific area of Mexico excites me.

We're in cabin D310. A bit more forward than I would have liked, but there weren't any mini-suites available mid-ship. Is this location okay as far as movement of the ship?

Phew!

Thank Tom! You've been a great help.

Another question for you: is it true that on the last night of the cruise you wear to dinner what you'll be wearing when you leave the ship the next morning?

We decided to book the Dawn out of San Diego In March 2008. While I would have preferred the ships leaving out of L.A., the Dawn leaving out of San Diego gives a full day in Cabo - so that sold us on the cruise.

And we just love San Diego, so we'll fly in a couple of days early and visit again.

Thanks for all the info on this.

Phew!

Thank Tom! You've been a great help.

Another question for you: is it true that on the last night of the cruise you wear to dinner what you'll be wearing when you leave the ship the next morning?

Well you have to set your luggage out in the hall the night before you disembark. I can't remember at what hour it is expected out there, but if you are an early diner, you can probably have time to change. Or you could have a change of clothes in your carry-on. The last night is casual so if you did have to wear the same clothes it should be too awful.

Archived