Diving Belize through ship.... Gear setup???

river_sand_bar2

Ok... strange question... and my wife ask it of me and I had no answer... so I knew all you smart people here would be able to answer it.

We have booked our diving in Belize through the ship (carnival- Miracle) next week and are NOT taking our bcd and regs.. so we are renting them. Now normally, you would tender/park at the port, head to the dive op and get fitted with gear. BUT, my understanding in Belize, due to the length of tender, the dive op picks you up at the ship and heads straight to the dive site.

How will they know what size equipement to bring and how will we get fitted up for it? Do they have all sizes on the boat?

Ok... strange question... and my wife ask it of me and I had no answer... so I knew all you smart people here would be able to answer it.

We have booked our diving in Belize through the ship (carnival- Miracle) next week and are NOT taking our bcd and regs.. so we are renting them. Now normally, you would tender/park at the port, head to the dive op and get fitted with gear. BUT, my understanding in Belize, due to the length of tender, the dive op picks you up at the ship and heads straight to the dive site.

How will they know what size equipement to bring and how will we get fitted up for it? Do they have all sizes on the boat?

Don't worry 'bout it ... I can't tell you how it will work but I've done this @ various ports fm assorted ships and it always works out. Some boats carry a lot of gear ... other times I've rec'd a note to call someone at excursions on the ship B4 the port and give them my sizes. It always worked out.....

Not for sure on Carnival, but on Sister line Princess, they use Hugh Parkey's Dive shop and they do pick you up at the ship & return you there. After they pick you up, there is about a 20 min boat ride to their dive shop where they outfit those that need rental gear. Takes about 30 min which is a nice break and then head to Turneffe Atoll for the diving. They had a nice outfit, but the boat held 18 divers. Had 3 Dive Masters & split into 3 groups of 6 so it didn't seem so bad and each group went a different direction. They also provided drinks & snacks between dives. Pics & video in homepage.

Mike

www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

Mike, from my understanding we are using Hugh Parkeys as well for the dive op. Is their dive shop located in Belize City or off on one of the islands?

18 people isn't too bad for a boat, I am used to even more when we dive here in San Diego out at the islands.

Did Hugh Parkeys rental equipment have computers or is it all analog equipment??

GREAT PICTURES BTW!!!!! Cant wait... less then a week till I am there!!!!

We had our own gear, so don't know about the rental gear, but didn't hear any complaints from those that rented. The shop is on one of the islands about half way between the anchor point and the atoll. Couple of things that I remembered.....when they split us up into groups, they did it by experience as much as possible and if you had a computer, you were able to dive your own profile pretty much.

Thanks for the comments on the pics....should have more soon as we head to Tahiti in 6 days now:D

Mike

http://www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

We had our own gear, so don't know about the rental gear, but didn't hear any complaints from those that rented. The shop is on one of the islands about half way between the anchor point and the atoll. Couple of things that I remembered.....when they split us up into groups, they did it by experience as much as possible and if you had a computer, you were able to dive your own profile pretty much.

Thanks for the comments on the pics....should have more soon as we head to Tahiti in 6 days now:D

Mike

hi Budaman. I'm foneguy"s son he says hello:D

We went with Hugh Parkey's through the RCCL excursion a few years ago, and they had enough gear on the boat to supply the 3-4 folks that didn't bring their own. We did make a stop somewhere, but it was not at their shop, and for more tanks if I remember correctly.

Now that we have tried a bunch of different scenarios, we schlep all our own gear, and dive with Linda and John at SeaSports Belize.

Have a great trip!

Wendy

We were on the Miracle last June. Booked the dive throught the ship. We met in the morning at the Mad Hatters lounge. They called us when the Dive Op arrived at the ship. They took us to their shop and they fitted everyone who needed stuff there. It was a wonderful dive. My best so far. Can't wait to do it again in January.

We were on the Grand in Feb. this year and at that time didn't go to Roatan, so can't help there. Belize was Hugh Parkey, Costa Maya - Dreamtime and in Cozumel I heard it was Dive House, but we arranged our own charter there. Had really good dives in all the sites. In Belize it was convenient because they picked us up at the ship and I had heard good things about HP. In Costa Maya, we had wanted to dive with Dreamtime prior to finding out that was who the ship used....other than being about twice the cost of booking on your own(which you can't do if on the Grand) it was everything we expected. One other thing, it is a long pier at Costa Maya, so if you have your own gear, have a good backpack or better yet a small wheeled bag:p There are a few more dive shops there now so you might research. In Cozumel, there are a number of highly recommended shops that can arrange a charter for as few as 2 divers for the cost of the ship dive and if you can 4 together, can cut your cost in half and have a better experience. Generally if you do that, you'll go out in a fast skiff that will get you to & from the dive sites in a fraction of the time the larger boats take and you'll have more time to visit C&C's or Senor Frogs:D

Mike

We dove Belize off a Princess boat. They took us to the dive operator's dock, issued gear, then headed to the dive site. I understand the convenience of not bringing your stuff and hauling on and off the boat, but you paid a lot of money for it, are comfortable with it, rely on it not to die underwater, and do you really want to use beat up rental gear that was last used by someone with an unidentified lip fungus?

I brought my own stuff and was happy I did.

• 2 weeks later...

Hugh Parkey will pick you up. You'll meet in the lounge, do the paperword, and walk down to Hugh's boat as a group. You don't even get to Belize City when doing this excursion. The dive operation is incredibly efficient.

Be sure to bring some cash as a tip for the crew if you are satisfied.

Hi Friends.... back from the cruise... so I thought I would shoot you an update on the dive ops and equipment.

Cozumel... Wonderful clear water.. 85 deg. Dove with a dive op called ProDive as booked through the ship... I DO NOT recommend them:mad:. The gear was very old and inadiquate. The BCD bladder was actually popping out of the casing. Wifes 2nd stage reg failed mid-dive and after a little panic on her part, dive was continued with me close by and her on her Octo. I would recommend using a local dive op. No food or drinks on the dive boat.

Belize.... Not as clear as Cozumel, but what an underwater wonderland. Soooo much to look at. We dove with Hugh Parkeys as booked through the ship... and I HIGHLY recommend them:D. The equipment was in great shape and the dive people were very professional. They had fruit and drinks on the boat for the surface interval. The guys at Hugh Parkeys told us of the dive profile and kept to it. Will dive with them again.

Guess that makes the discussion about taking your own gear... a closed subject. I will always take my gear now.

Archived