Royal Caribbean or Princess???

twojays

Just about to book our 2nd cruise - and have narrowed it down to 2.

Just wondered if anyone had any advice to give.:confused:

We have choice of 2 balcony cabins on either Voyager of the Seas or Star Princess.

Anyone got any opinions one way or the other?

Thanks.

Just about to book our 2nd cruise - and have narrowed it down to 2.

Just wondered if anyone had any advice to give.:confused:

We have choice of 2 balcony cabins on either Voyager of the Seas or Star Princess.

Anyone got any opinions one way or the other?

Thanks.

It depends as to which ports you want to visit, how much time each cruise line spends on each port. Also, what type of activities are you interested in. Some may be partial towards Princess while others towards RCL. You did not mention which cruise line you used on your first cruise (not that you have to). If it was with any of these two lines that you mentioned, were you satisfied? Do you want to try a new cruise line?

Do you prefer anytime dining vs traditional? If opting for a balcony, do you want privacy because those are limited on Star Princess.

I have been on Voyager and she was not my cup of tea; too big and too crowded. Never cruised on Star Princess so cannot say with any experience what I would do as this is still a large ship.

If you are an intinerary cruiser vs a ship cruiser, then that needs to weigh strongly in your decision. Does pricing compare?

It really boils down to your priorities on vacation.

Have fun either way:)

Thanks for replies so far.

Our first cruise was with Costa on the Magica - great ship - but fancied a more English speaking ship this time.

Yes, we do want privacy on balcony- so interested to hear that Star Princess may not offer this.

We dont mind a large ship - so long as there are enough places to get away from the crowds.:rolleyes:

We like the idea of formal evenings.

I wonder what evening entertainment is like - and if there is any ballroom dancing, as this is one of our interests.

Any more ideas gratefully accepted.:)

Been on both Princess and RCCL and loved both. I can't remember if they have ball room dancing. You might want to post on both the Princess and RCCL boards to see if either one or both has ball room dancing.

Thanks for replies so far.

Our first cruise was with Costa on the Magica - great ship - but fancied a more English speaking ship this time.

Yes, we do want privacy on balcony- so interested to hear that Star Princess may not offer this.

We dont mind a large ship - so long as there are enough places to get away from the crowds.:rolleyes:

We like the idea of formal evenings.

I wonder what evening entertainment is like - and if there is any ballroom dancing, as this is one of our interests.

Any more ideas gratefully accepted.:)

The only place on Voyager to get away from crowds was on our balcony. JME, but that is what we found.

Re the balconies on Star, that class of ship has tiered balconies with a very limited number completely covered. For me, this is a deal breaker as I do not care to have people looking into my balcony. Princess or those on that forum can help you with specifics.

Both ships have two formal nights on a week cruise.

I did not see ballroom dancing on RCI but I was not looking for it. I suggest you post this to the RCI boards for an accurate answer.

I have always been happy with RCI's evening entertainment and find it to be varied and active.

• 2 weeks later...

We have cruised on the Adventure of the Seas (sister to the Voyager) and on the Star Princess, in balcony cabins on both.

We had a nice balcony on the AOS, it was just leading to a hump cabin, where the ship just started to form outwards, and our balcony was a bit bigger. On the Star Princess, decks Aloha and Baja have fully covered balconies, and lots of privacy. On the Caribe Deck there are huge balconies, and they are half covered. If you are sitting or standing near the rail, people can see you, if you are sitting up near the sliding door, you cannot be seen. The Dolphin Deck has mostly mini suites, which are larger cabins, but totally exposed balconies......no cover of any kind. The Dolphin Deck has some covered balconies, but our favorites are definitely the Star Princess Caribe Deck cabins.

There has been ballroom dancing on every ship we have been on, but the floors aren't very large. We have met a lady that always takes groups of ballroom dancers on a cruise.........they started out on Princess, moved to Celebrity, and last we heard, were cruising on Crystal.

We also have friends that love to dance, and cruise on Carnival.................we haven't been on Carnival, but maybe someone on those boards can tell you about their dance floors.

Have a great cruise!

Archived