What Type of Cabin Do YOU Usually Book?

Many frequent cruisers here book inside or balcony cabins because they feel they'd rather save more and be able to cruise more often. We can only cruise once a year, so we opt for at least a balcony or JS. Next year we are trying a GS.

You will find every answer possible to that question here. It's all dependent of what you can/choose to spend, and what your idea of a good vacation is. Then there are the frequent cruisers, that will only stay in suite of somekind. If I had my choice that would be it.

Some people don't stay much in their room, so are not concerned about it. Other's of enjoy the best room we can afford....

What's your fancy?

We started with an oceanview and have had 3 balconies since. On our cruise next month we are doing a JS but that's more because accessible balconies don't generally have the extra bed for our son who can't do a pack-n-play anymore and the JS has the sofabed.

My husband and I have sailed in two oceanviews (on SOS, it sufficed but on Voyager I was WELL pleased with our oceanview!!!), this year we will have our first balcony and PR rooms:) ...and bringing the kids and mother in law...have a feeling this will be the best one yet...

Of the 7 completed cruises, we've booked 5 balcony cabins and two outside cabins. The next three cruises we have booked will all be balcony cabins.

The breakdown has been:

2002 Legend Alaska - Outside

2003 Vision Alaska - D1 balcony

2004 Explorer E. Caribbean - Junior Suite Balcony

2005 Monarch Mexican Baja - Outside

2005 Brilliance Med. Venice - E1 Bacony

2005 Enchantment W. Carib. - Junior Suite Balcony

2006 Vision Alaska - Junior Suite Balcony

Future Cruises

2006 Radiance W Carib. - E1 balcony

2007 Radiance Hawaii - D1 Balcony

2007 Brilliance Bahama's - E2 Balcony

While we prefer a balcony cabin, we're not to particular which catagory we're in. We are a little more particular about location of the cabin. I'm also not disinclined to sail in an outside cabin but, the wife forbids me to book an inside cabin because she is slightly claustrophobic. Perhaps someday one of the Promanade cabins would work for her as they still have a window to look out onto the little shopping mall on Voyager and Freedom class ships.

This is our first cruise, it may be the only one we do, let's hope not!

But, with that in mind we chose a D1 balcony on deck 9 with a connecting inside for the kids.

We just really want the cruise to be a special family holiday and were willing to pay this. We considered all bunking in JS for the same money but felt this option was better value.

My parents have done a few cruises, but always book an inside even though they can easily afford whatever they want (my Dad just can't help being thrifty, I'm sure mum would love a balcony)

It's great there is such a choice, something for all.

Well...I've cruised in inside cabins, window cabins, balcony cabins and suites...

Remember, first, that ALL of the cabins visit the same ports, eat the same food, see the same entertainment and enjoy the same basic amenities...

That said, my choice (which is actually more dependent on the the deal I get than on anything else) is to book either a balcony cabin or an inside cabin...

Remember, also, that a lot depends on your particular lifestyle...Personally, when cruising, we don't spend a lot of time in our cabin...it's mostly there to sleep, change clothes and use the bathroom...so, past a bed, a shower and a toilet, there's not much more we need...

So, as far as I'm concerned, a basic inside cabin works plenty fine...

However, I also, occasionally and depending on the itinerary, enjoy having a balcony--the extra room, the ability to walk outside from my cabin, the more airy feeling...So, if the differential in price between the inside and the balcony is not much (or I can book a deal on a balcony "guarantee"), I'll spring for that...

I've learned there is not much value in an "outside" cabin...On newer ships, you're going to be on a lower floor...The room is identical to that inside cabin...But you paid extra for a SMALL WINDOW...which, most of the time that you're in the cabin is COMPLETELY BLACK anyway...I won't pay extra for that!

I really enjoy suites as well...but they typically are hardly worth the added price...Yes, more room is nice (but, again, I'm not in the cabin much)...The butler service (on some lines) and the added little amenities are nice--but hardly worth the price...Besides, I feel pampered enough with non-suite amenities...and I can spend that money on another cruise...

My basic motto: Just get me on the ship!

I won't sail if I can't get at least a JS--I know, I know--you're not in your room that much, but damn it--when I'm in there, I want to be comfortable!!! My mom won't spend a penny over an inside room (I only sleep there!!!), but the one time we booked a superior OV (Sov) and it was sooooo small--Never again!!!!

We have completed about 30 cruises, and the more you get -- the more you want!!

We've had inside (once), Porthole (2X), Outside (2X), Suites (only twice--but loved it!!), all the rest were balcony. Once you've enjoyed a balcony, it's hard to go back!

My best advice is -- the longer the cruise, the better cabin I want! DH won't go for less than 10 days now--guess I've spoiled him!:) :)

We've had one inside....Disney so even the inside cabin was great!

One Oceanview

One D1 balcony

and are booked in a Royal Family Suite on Rhapsody in 18 days:D

When DH is with me, we spend more time in our cabin than when our DD and I go without the menfolk. So when DH goes we get a suite. when the girls go we get a D1 balcony. I doubt we ever go back to oceanview, and know we'll never do inside again.

On our first two cruises, we booked interiors because of the lower cost, but for our next cruise we booked a balcony. We didn't mind the interiors (saved us alot of money and we never spent too much time in the cabin anyway), but my husband, who hates to spend money, is the one who suggested that we try a balcony for our next cruise (go figure :D Love that guy!).

After looking at the pictures of this aft balcony cabin, I am SO excited!!! I am a big believer that a vacation is what you make of it, so whatever cabin you choose, it will be great!

Just booked my 9th cruise with RC. I've done one ocean view, one inside and seven balconies. 8 port side cabins, 1 starboard. Did the first balcony with my DH for our honeymoon and he won't do anything but.

We try to get 6618 or 7618 if we can. If they aren't available, we'll do another cabin on the hump. If that's not possible, we'll look at other weeks. Not TOO particular, eh?:D

JS Enchantment

C Old Westerdam

JS Majesty

GS Brilliance

FS Majesty

Royal Empress

GS Enchantment

JS Voyager

D1 Jewel

Personally I like the extra bathroom space in at least a JS. We opted for the D1 this time and it was a tad smaller than we like--but certainly less expensive.

I would love to be one of those that could cruise in an inside cabin and still love it..yes, as a previous poster said...you go to the same ports, eat the same food etc...but I can't do it!!

We do spend a lot of time in the cabin and having a balcony is part of the experience. Last two cruises were JS and now we're spolied even more (especially with the wider room and walk in closet) but the least I'd book is a standard balcony.

My first three cruises were inside and oceanview. After a balcony, I could never do either again...

The size of the cabin for my next cruise is inversely proprtional to my final room bill on my previous cruise. lol. Book what ever tickles your fancy, live within your means and enjoy the ride. Face it folks, youd cruise sleeping in a closet if the price was right. *DISCLAIMER* This post was made with light hearted intentions, no cruisers were injured in the making of this post.

Our first cruise in 1988 was in an inside, not that that was what we had booked but our TA screwed up the reservations and booked up the wrong week. Since then we did 3 OVC and then a JS. Last winter we did an E1 balcony and DH was upset that I had been so "cheap" so for now on its JS or nothing.

have been on two cruises, both inside cabins, and they were fine. The expereince was great. I had an inside booked for my cruise in jan, but the bal guar came up and I jumped at it because of all the hype behind a balcony. Ended up wth an aft corner on vos, so we will see how it goes. hope i do not get hooked, it is significantly more expensive!

We started off in an ocean view (with our 2 kids) - then moved up to a balcony, with our teens in an inside cabin opposite us. We have now booked another balcony/inside combo. We really enjoy having a balcony and our teens sleep in so late on sea days that they appreciate the lack of daylight!

We prefer the two cabins over a suite that might accommodate the family. It seems for many people, that once they've had a balcony or suite its hard to go back to an inside or oceanview cabin, my DH doesn't want anything less than a balcony now.

Archived