Transatlantic Question-port or starboard?

We2Cruzers

Hi there,

I am planning a Westbound transatlantic cruise from Southampton to NY and would like to know opinions from anyone who has taken this cruise, whether the port or starboard side is nicer in terms of weather - and coming in to NYC - does it matter which side?

Thanks for your help.

LK

At first I thought your question was a prank. But after thinking about it, I can't come up with any reason that the Port side would be different in terms of weather vs the Starboard. I think either side would be equall including looking at the sunrise or sunset from your cabin. Perhaps someone smarter than me could come up with a reason(s).

Remember the old saying, "Port out, Starboard home"? Trouble is, I'm not sure whether "home" is America or England!:confused: Guess that's not much help, then!

The term Port Out Starboard Home originally applied to voyages from England to India via the Suez Canal and Red Sea; before the days of Air Conditioning; but applies equally for North Atlantic Trips from England to America. Thus, from England Port Side for the Sun and From America Starboard side for the sun. The wind and heavy seas/swells are no respecter of ship or passengers and wiil catch either side.

Relax and enjoy your voyage.:)

Hi there,

I am planning a Westbound transatlantic cruise from Southampton to NY and would like to know opinions from anyone who has taken this cruise, whether the port or starboard side is nicer in terms of weather - and coming in to NYC - does it matter which side?

Thanks for your help.

LK

I would just add to try to get a cabin as mid-ship as possible as I find being mid-ship a good choice in the event the seas become choppy.

Keith

Archived