Bath's v. beach--worth it?

Joby

We will be in Tortola on 2/1/07 from 7:00 am -- 2:00 pm. This is our situation:

Tortola will be our last stop of an 11 night cruise. We head to San Juan for our departure the next morning.

My sister and I are travelling with our Mom who is a bit frail, uses a cane to get around and wheelchair for longer distances.

It is $59/person to go on the ship's excursion to the Bath's.

Our other thought is to just go to a beach such as Brewer's and just beach it and snorkel for our time in port. Mom could relax in a shaded lounger while my sister and I snorkel or enjoy the beach.

We're wondering if the Bath's are really worth $59/person since Mom could not actually get TO the Bath's?

Would it be less expensive and just as fun considering our Mom to get a cab to a nice beach and just relax or are the Bath's so spectacular that we would be really sorry we didn't go?

Any opinions/suggestions?

We will be in Tortola on 2/1/07 from 7:00 am -- 2:00 pm. This is our situation:

Tortola will be our last stop of an 11 night cruise. We head to San Juan for our departure the next morning.

My sister and I are travelling with our Mom who is a bit frail, uses a cane to get around and wheelchair for longer distances.

It is $59/person to go on the ship's excursion to the Bath's.

Our other thought is to just go to a beach such as Brewer's and just beach it and snorkel for our time in port. Mom could relax in a shaded lounger while my sister and I snorkel or enjoy the beach.

We're wondering if the Bath's are really worth $59/person since Mom could not actually get TO the Bath's?

Would it be less expensive and just as fun considering our Mom to get a cab to a nice beach and just relax or are the Bath's so spectacular that we would be really sorry we didn't go?

Any opinions/suggestions?

I've never been to the Baths but will be going on my cruise next June. From what I have read about it, I don't think the Baths would be good at all for your mom. There is a lot of climbing on rocks and on steep paths. I think she would be much better off laying on a lounge chair at the beach under a shady palm tree. :)

Thanks for the opinion Sandi.

If anyone recommends the beach as a better choice--do you have a recommendation as to which beach? If we beach it, we would like to keep our taxi costs down to save money, but still go to a great beach that might suit all 3 of us.

Suggestions?

Your idea of going to Brewer's Bay would probably be best. There is some good snorkeling, a place to eat and drink (Nichol's Beach Bar) and shade when you want it. It doesn't sound like Mom would be able to handle the Bath's. Yes, they are nice and interesting but, having been there, done that I don't feel a big urge to make it a stop every time we go down to the islands. Besides, it gives you a reason to go back if you miss them this trip.

Pyrate13 thanks for the opinion and reassurance. Our feeling was Mom wouldn't be able to fully enjoy the Bath's, but we wanted to double check and make sure we were correct.

Heaven forbid that we, Mom included, miss anything fantastic (nibbiness is in our nature :)

From my research and your comments it sounds like Brewer's might be the plan. I've read to expect: $12/ roundtrip/person taxi fare, $5/person chair rental. So, for about $17/person we could spend out time in port (7 am--2 pm) at Brewer's and all enjoy ourselves?

Thanks for the help! Anyone else have any otyher suggestions/thoughts?

Hi! I think Brewers Bay is the best! I've been to both....for me, the Baths just wasn't impressive. It didn't meet, let alone exceed my expectations. :confused: Brewers is a great beach for your mom. The beach is nice, fairly flat, easy walking, very good snorkeling. We are going to Tortola next week on the Sea Princess and are heading directly to Brewers. It's nice, easy, inexpensive. Have fun :D

Archived