Crepe Fromage Allergic Reaction in Paris

CUZ

Hello Fellow Cruise Critic "Board-walkers",

We were in Paris on July 10th and enjoying crepes in the narrow park that runs from the Louvre and down the Champs-Elysees. The crepes were delicious, but one member of our group had a very bad allergic reaction to the Crepe Fromage, which many of us also had. She wound up in the hospital shortly thereafter, with all the classic food allergy symptoms. She was treated well in the Paris hospital, and received addtional treament from her personal physician upon returning to the States.

I wonder if anybody else has had or heard of a similar experience. There had not been any history of food allergies in the past. We know the cheese was Swiss, and I believe there was also oregano (green flakes) in the crepe. All is well, now. We are just hoping to avoid a similar situation in the future. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If it's time for you to develop an allergy to something, it'll happen wherever you are. French crepes are no more dangerous than crepes anywhere else for that.

That said, was this from some mobile food stall? For work, I've read some stuff about the health risks from mobile food stalls and would be wary about buying anything off any of them, for fear of food poisoning. Soft ice cream from those ice cream vans is a particular hazard.

I'm very sorry to hear about this. I'm glad your friend is okay. I know it was scary. I DO have food allergies and always carry Benadryl with me, now, because you never know -- even when you're trying to make sure what the ingredients are. I had a situation on a cruise 15 years ago during a ship-sponsored lunch as part of a tour. We were in Venezula and were told we were having chicken. That was fine, however, I knew something was really wrong when my throat started closing up on me. Turns out the "chicken" was rabbit. Had I known, I'd have stayed away since I know I'm deathly allergic.

Unfortunately, food allergies can appear from nowhere. Does your friend have any other allergies? Sometimes stress or tiredness can bring out a new allergy.

Miriam, Globaliser,

Thanks very much for your response to my post. What you say is definitely true,......and it was the last day of a long trip, so I'm sure "tiredness" was a factor.

Thanks again,

Cuz

Archived