First time cruiser...10/05/2007

We are taking our first cruise on the Grandeur of the Seas in October 2007. How early can you make your reservations for the shore excursions? How is the food? Is the formal nights really a big deal or could I skip one or both of them and still get decent dinners. A friend of mine told me that if I did not eat in the dining room then I would miss all of the really good food the ship has to offer. Just looking for some opinions from the expreienced cruisers out there.:)

I love eating in the dining room and would not miss it. I do not enjoy walking around the buffet area to find seats, and get food. I like the service in the dining room. That said, there is still good food in the buffet...

Just not plated up like a meal.... you take what you want and wait on numerous lines. Formal night is 2 nights and the atmosphere is delightful. The other nights on RCI are now downgraded to casual... not too hard to comply at all now. Our service was so good on the Mariner last week that we tipped the asst waiter more than the recommended amount as a way of saying we thank you! The dining room is so special with the attention they give you and they know what you like....do not miss out on that.

Comments about the food on board RCI is very subjective. It really depends on what kind of dining they are used to back home. There are people who are truly satisfied with the food and service in the dining room, and in my opinion that is great! I personally find the food and service in the dining room good, but not exceptional. Since this is your first cruise, I would say go, experience it and judge by yourself. :)

In the ships that have the specialty restaurants Portofino and Chops Grille, for an extra $20 fee, guests can enjoy superior food and service, compared to the dining room. Some people who do not enjoy dressing up choose to go to the specialty restaurants on formal nights. It is a nicer alternative than going to the Windjammer.

Happy cruising!

We are taking our first cruise on the Grandeur of the Seas in October 2007. How early can you make your reservations for the shore excursions? How is the food? Is the formal nights really a big deal or could I skip one or both of them and still get decent dinners. A friend of mine told me that if I did not eat in the dining room then I would miss all of the really good food the ship has to offer. Just looking for some opinions from the expreienced cruisers out there.:)

The Oct 05, 2007 cruise will be my third on Grandeur in October, and (hopefully) fifth RCL cruise. I love the Grandeur, and she's a pleasure to sail from Baltimore. Take a look in my sig for links to the reviews of my first two cruises on Grandeur, and a link to the Roll Call for the 10/05/07 cruise, if that's the one you've booked. If I can answer any specific questions for you, I'd be happy to. I've got Compasses from both cruises, and lots of pictures.

1) Don't know about the excursions, if you see them online, go ahead and try to book them. I will tell you that I don't book excursions ahead of time. Our first cruise was right after Wilma and the itinerary changed once before the cruise and twice during. Seemed like a hassle to make the reservations, then change and rechange. I would recommend you just book on the ship unless it's something that would sell out. If that's the case, then you can probably still get excursions on the pier.

2) Like someone else said, food is subjective, I've never had a problem getting great food, and plenty to eat. I gained 5 pounds in mid-October in spite of running 3.5 miles/day and doing the walk-a-mile.

3) I love the formal nights, I think it's a big deal, it's great to see all the folks dressed to the nines, and the photos are fabulous. My wife and I stay in formal all evening, and enjoy the dancing (ballroom dancing in the Centrum is really fun). You're not going to miss all the good food, but it won't be even close to the same, so I wouldn't skip it.

Hope this helps, come over to the (currently pretty quiet) Roll Call and say hello if this is your cruise.

We were frist time cruisers on the Grandeur in 2005 and fell in love with that ship and cruising! As far as booking excursions, I don't think we were able to book them until a couple of months in advance, same with our most recent cruise on the Empress last month. We took advantage of the RCI online excursion booking and were very happy with the excursions and the overall process of reserving them.

We enjoy eating in the dining room every evening and the Windjammer all other times. Food was good everywhere!

We, too, will be cruising in October 2007, but on the Explorer................. can it ever get here soon enough?!!!;)

Try the dining room for at least breakfast! It's much better than the windjammer--no "jockeying " for a table, no balancing plates, glasses, and utensils! It's a lovely breakfast where you're waited on! We've done lunch there, when we're not "pooling" it! (You must be dressed-no bathing suit cover-ups!)

I've never been on this ship but I'm sure the food is no different than Rhapsody. I thought it was great. There was one meal I got that I was not crazy about so my waiter brought me something else.

I am always reading complaints about food on cruises, all inclusive vacations etc. I try to remember that just because I may not like something, it doesn't mean others won't. They are cooking meals to try & make 2000 people happy.

I love the formal nights. That is also steak & lobster night, or it was for us. If you don't want to do the formal, you can order room service & have them bring you the same items that are on the dining room menu. Also, not everyone dresses formal for those nights. You would be comfortable in just a nice dress or slacks with a tie.

I can't comment (yet) on RCCL because our first one with them is not until next summer but.....once you've sailed...you will be sailing again!

I never knew what fun we could have until I cruised as a single parent about 5 years ago with just myself and my two boys. We have had a blast. They are so looking foward to going next year! Have a great time.

Esmerelda

Archived