Legal clarification about wine

On the Oct 29, 2006 mariner, our friends brought a bottle of wine and a small bottle of gin to have a few drinks in the cabin without having to make a run to the bars before dinner. While we were in St. Thomas, an inspection was made of the rooms and the liquor was taken. A form letter note from the Bar Manager was left behind explaining that our friends had violated the alcohol and safety policy and all opened bottles would be tossed while unopened botled would be returned the last night.

On the Oct 29, 2006 mariner, our friends brought a bottle of wine and a small bottle of gin to have a few drinks in the cabin without having to make a run to the bars before dinner. While we were in St. Thomas, an inspection was made of the rooms and the liquor was taken. A form letter note from the Bar Manager was left behind explaining that our friends had violated the alcohol and safety policy and all opened bottles would be tossed while unopened botled would be returned the last night.

If this is true, I suspect we will be seeing a lot more posts bemoaning this development...

LL

Jim, I think Cruise Critic was written on the walls of caves in those days, wasn't it? :D

LL

LL I think you are right...........but even on the cave walls..........most of the conversations seemed to center around booze:rolleyes:

It might be pretty cool to be called down into the belly of the beast and see the behind the scenes stuff we never get to see. That might be worth putting a bottle of cheap wine in just to see the forbidden zone. ;)

Unfortunately they don't take you behind the scenes, on Grandeur, the folks that had to come open and claim their luggage went to a conference room, if I remember correctly. Here's a cut and paste from one of the people on our cruise.

On the subject of smuggling, I brought on a bottle of vodka in my checked
baggage which was promptly confiscated by RCI... :( 

I had to go to a conference room next to the 'Singin in the Rain' lounge 
first night to retrieve my suitcase... I'm not kidding when I say there were 
still about 100 suitcases waiting to be picked up when I got mine so there 
were a few people in the sane position as me... 

Had the bottle delivered to my room the last day by RCL staff... :) 

Hope this helps...

Perhaps someone who successfully 'smuggled' can fill you in...

Note to self: Make sure to hide room alcohol in creative places before leaving room each day. :cool: ;)

where and when do they call you down to oopen your own luggage? is this before they set sail? and where do they ask you to meet them? what if you are out walking around the ship all day the first day? how does this work.

Instead of their luggage being delivered to the cabin, a note was telling them to go to the main lobby to get their luggage. Once there, they were directed to open the suitcases. I'm not sure if they were told to take out the "bottle" that had been spotted when it was x-rayed or the inspector inspected and took out the bottle. They are on a trans-Atlantic right now so I can't ask them. The bottles were returned to them the morning of disembarkation. However, it was a very long line for people picking up their confiscated stuff. Since they were "local", they didn't mind waiting but those who had flights or the shuttle to the airport were definitely getting "antsy" and if it was a cheap bottle of wine, decided to forget it. They left out of Houston.

Tucker in Texas

Beer and wine are certainly NOT controlled substances. A cop can pull you over and, if you have beer and wine in your car (that you're not currently drinking!!), that is legal. If a cop pulls you over and sees a controlled substance (cocaine, narcotics for which you cannot provide a prescription, etc.) you are BUSTED. There is a HUGE difference.

You're so right: Here's the scoop about controlled substances. Instead of worrying about bringing on wine, maybe we should all remember to get a copy of our prescription drugs to bring onboard! :D

Controlled substances include narcotics (pain relievers), stimulants, depressants, hallucinogens, and anabolic steroids. A complete list of controlled substances can be found in Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) part 1308. Examples of controlled substances are shown below.

Schedule I: Heroin, marijuana, mescaline, methcathinone.

Schedule II: Amphetamine, codeine, fantanyl, Hydromorphone, meperidine, methadone, Methylphenidate (Ritalin), morphine, oxycodone, pentobarbital, phencyclidine (PCP), secobarbital

Schedule III: Anabolic steroids, phendimetrazine, and products that contain small quantities of certain schedule II controlled substances, such as codeine, in combination with noncontrolled ingredients, such as aspirin.

Schedule IV: Alprazolam (Xanax), chlordiazepoxide (Librium), diazepam (Valium), lorazepam (Ativan), phenobarbital, phentermine

Schedule V: Buprenorphine and many cough Preparations that contain a limited amount of codeine

I suppose at least we can expect a bit more variety in the wine list selections once they provision the ship with the bottles left behind.

My guess is that the quality of the wine list also will improve...

Jim

Jim, that's exactly what I was thinking when I read that post!

LOL! GMTA.

Archived