Alcohol onboard questions, comments, etc. (merged)

picnicpat

"BUT...taking booze into a public area onboard the ship is a big NO-NO...it can have serious consequences"

We will be on our 1st cruise shortly and I was wondering how does drinking your own beer at the pool works or anywhere else away from the cabin ? How is that done without breaking the rules and looking tacky? In a way it seems from the above post you can get in trouble for that?

Can you perhaps pour your drink into a bigger carry around mug and head to the pool ? I have no idea what's the etiquette in this regard or how the smugglers do it. Please dont flame me for asking this. I am just curious and its better to know the "how to" and the "don'ts" before we leave.

Thank you kindly.

DON'T DO IT!!! You are absolutely NOT supposed to be imbibing your own booze outside of your cabin. DON'T DO IT!!! The cruise lines have every right to make a profit in their public rooms. My stance has always been that what you do in your cabin is your business...and no one elses' as long as you are not bothering anyone. Drinking your own booze outside in the public areas is really low class/ no class. If you are out at the pool feel free to order a drink at the bar or from one of the pool stewards. The ONLY exception is ...if you bring wine to the dining room and offer to pay the corkage fee.

You are welcome kindly.:D

Clarksfan,

I don't care if you bring booze on a ship. I do think though if the guy next to you notices you are pouring your own booze into your drink out in a public area, you aren't being discreet at all.

I feel the same way about the rolling cooler. What's discreet about that? If you want to drink in your cabin, that's fine, but taking your own stock out in public is just plain tacky.

Obviously some will disagree with me. I am not saying that if you made a drink in your cabin and took it out it would be tacky, but a cooler or topping off your drink is. I'm not making a moral judgement, lol. Go ahead flame me.

Katie

Sounds pretty dead on to me

I am in the privacy of your own room camp on this issue.....I would gladly buy a bottle from the ship if they would let me take it back to my room

Sounds pretty dead on to me

I am in the privacy of your own room camp on this issue.....I would gladly buy a bottle from the ship if they would let me take it back to my room

Yup! This was great when they allowed you to do it. My cabin is my hotel room and I sure as hell can't think of many hotel rooms where I can't have a bottle or two. The same goes for the ship being a hotel, I would never take my drink made with my "in room booze" out of my hotel room or a ship's cabin.

I have some web sites you can get some info on gift baskets you can order to be sent to yourself, to your room, and be wating there when you arrive on board, therefore you eliminate the chance of booze breaking in your luggage, or being confiscated before boarding. I personally have not yet used any these services, but plan to for our up-coming cruise in Feb.

wellwishers.com

justbecause.addictscay.com/ phone# 1-800-882-9707 ask for Shelley

theperfectgift.cc/

I have read alot of good things about Well Wishers, but more about Just because of You. From what I understand if it's booze you want, that you will need to call for and order. I hope this helps. From all the threads that I have read, I plan on calling Shelley at Just Because. People have said she works with you on putting together the perfect basket, and at REASONABLE rates!:) That's what sold me. Good luck!!:)

Sandal-ette

I went through Shelly at Just Because of You for my Navigator cruise in December. For a bottle of Tangueray, Captain Morgan, champagne and collins mix it ran us about $100 plus the $5 fee they have to pay to RCCL. A little pricey, but then I don't have to worry about bottles breaking in my luggage. Shelly was very nice and can do just about anything you need.

I'll probably bring a couple of bottles of real good Merlot packed in a wine shipping carton in my checked bag as well.

The baskets idea intrigues me...

puckstopper... $100 isn't bad, it guarantees it will be in your cabin when you arrive and no worries about confiscation or breakage or other unforeseeables... taking up space in the luggage... I'm starting to be persuaded more to the idea...

Besides, the ships obviously allow the delivery of these items otherwise they would simply refuse delivery, right?? So that answers the whole policy issue...

As for actually drinking it outside the cabin...

I've seen families with their own little snack bars (chips, cookies, etc - clearly not purchased on board) so I don't see how it's different for me to bring my own preferred beverage...

I wasn't too impressed with the cruise pak I saw online... these disposable, plastic type 'flasks'... look too much like something you would be hooked up to in a hospital...

As for the class or no-class issue... I'm sure we would all agree that there is a lot of behavior on cruiseships that lacks class... What happens on the boat, stays on the boat... or at least until you get home and post some horrendous experience on the CC website :D ...

I wish I wasn't afraid of getting caught and being embarrassed the rest of the cruise. However, if you wish to fill your own drink with liquor in public, I will gladly provide my own glass:D Anyone going on the Sovereign Dec 1?

First of all I'd like to say thanks for reminding me about some liquors being available in plastic bottles...I forgot! I'm not being sarcastic....I just never considered bringing booze in luggage because on the way home from our Voyager OTS cruise in 2001 a bottle of Bananna Liquor from Jamaica broke in my moms bag and got all over EVERYONES luggage...not just ours. If looks from other passengers could kill....:o . I'll give it a try for when we're in our cabin and honestly, the flask idea isn't so bad. They make the foo foo drinks so darn weak it's not usually worth drinking them to me because I get more of a brain freeze than a buzz....even when I get an extra shot - and they're not cheap! I'm usually the first one to point out people behaving tacky but I don't think flasks are bad. That's why they usually look nice and pretty...it's okay for them to be seen. ACTUALLY, there's a nice one in the Lillian Vernon catalog that you can get in different colors w/your monogram....I just might have to get that or a jewel encrusted one to rock out w/on the Serenade. :eek: :D .

Amybear,

That's why I did the basket thing. No worries about not having it in my room. Apparently, RCI gets $5 per basket delivered. The truth is that as long as RCI gets their cut booze can be brought on board. Like I said, I may bring a couple of nice bottles of Merlot in my checked luggage since the cruise is for our 10th anniversary.

Ah yes, the weak drink... that over-priced concoction which inspires so many of us to smuggle on our own booze...

Seriously, if you're going to charge me $6.95 for a drink, I expect to come away from it with something in return...

I'm up for the flask by the pool idea... Now if I can just find one to match my flip flops and swimsuit... where is that Lillian Vernon catalog you mentioned??

I'm too scared of getting caught bringing it on the ship. My luck, I'd be the one they would deny boarding.

Just for you doesn't deliver hard liquor to Galveston.

I don't understand why they quit allowing you to bring a bottle back to the room from the gift shop & pay the corkage fee.

Ah yes, the weak drink... that over-priced concoction which inspires so many of us to smuggle on our own booze...

Seriously, if you're going to charge me $6.95 for a drink, I expect to come away from it with something in return...

I'm up for the flask by the pool idea... Now if I can just find one to match my flip flops and swimsuit... where is that Lillian Vernon catalog you mentioned??

I found on our cruise the last time, if you tip the bartender a couple of bucks, you can get your drinks as strong as you want. Well, at least a couple of us girls were able to. Another couple we met on the ship that we hung out with, both her H & mine had us going get their drinks from the pool bar.

This is what I have heard on the booze question. The cruiselines are scanning more checked bags. If the find bottles of any type in your checked luggage they will contact you to pick it up in one of the lounges etc. If the booze is in sealed bottles they will return it to you at the end of the cruise. If you have repacked it in say a mouthwash bottle they will pour it out.

Keith

This is what I have heard on the booze question. The cruiselines are scanning more checked bags. If the find bottles of any type in your checked luggage they will contact you to pick it up in one of the lounges etc. If the booze is in sealed bottles they will return it to you at the end of the cruise. If you have repacked it in say a mouthwash bottle they will pour it out.

Keith

I've read that also. However in my cruise Docs it states that they may remove said person & deny them boarding. My luck their would be 50 people that would get it picked up & I'd get denied.

I use to think that people were crazy for bringing it on board until I really started reading these posts. It seems like 80% if not more probably bring some type with them.

Why do I have to be a scardey cat?

I've read that also. However in my cruise Docs it states that they may remove said person & deny them boarding. My luck their would be 50 people that would get it picked up & I'd get denied.

I use to think that people were crazy for bringing it on board until I really started reading these posts. It seems like 80% if not more probably bring some type with them.

Why do I have to be a scardey cat?

We are from the same feline breed, we called JBOY today and arranged for them to supply our wine. They are very reasonable. The thing that upsets us is that we have a grand suite with a great bar and we can't bring our own liquor...what's up with that:confused:

Im pretty sure im going to give it a shot. I dont see why i cant have a bottle of scotch in my cabin when im still probably gonna pay a couple hundred dollars in drinks. i dont mind if it gets taken or dumped out if im caught, but not being allowed to board is a diferent story.

LET'S GET REAL!!! If RCI ever denied someone boarding over a bottle of booze...THERE WOULD BE A MUTINY!!! The pax would be leaving in droves. The wording is there to protect RCI from any OVER-THE-TOP type of pax. Certain individuals and parties have been put off the ships for destructive behavior. The wording is there for an EXTREME CASE SCENARIO.

Stop being a scardy cat and enjoy your cruise!!!

Hey CGTNORMANDIE from Somerville MA, I grew up in Medford and Cambridge and my mom used to own a store in Somerville next to the somerville theatre back in the 70's. Hung around the MCD's. getting off the subject oops:o

We debated alot about taking our wine and we were going to, we weren't so much afraid of getting kicked off the ship but, if they did happen to take our wine from us, then we would get stuck paying quadruple the amount for the bottles. JBOY was reasonable, maybe 5-10 dollars more than what we would pay ourselves. Plus we don't have to lug it with us and worry about it breaking. Maybe next year we will try taking it on ourselves again?:)

LET'S GET REAL!!! If RCI ever denied someone boarding over a bottle of booze...THERE WOULD BE A MUTINY!!! The pax would be leaving in droves. The wording is there to protect RCI from any OVER-THE-TOP type of pax. Certain individuals and parties have been put off the ships for destructive behavior. The wording is there for an EXTREME CASE SCENARIO.

Stop being a scardy cat and enjoy your cruise!!!

well, you do have a point.

It is MORALLY WRONG to risk broken glass and spilled alcohol, which could ruin not only the clothes in your suitcase, but also those of other passengers whose things end up traveling in the same cart with yours.

Please look for PLASTIC bottles at the liquor store. You can't get every name-brand, but there are plenty from which to choose. Sometimes they're sold as "travel bottles". I picked up a whole bunch of little individual bottles -- the type they use on airplanes -- all in plastic.

If you use plastic bottles, you don't have to worry about bubble wrap, etc.

If you must smuggle on the plane and ship, please invest in the proper tools. A requirement is good packing material and the most important item the waterproof float bag. These are sold at REI, Dicks, Bass Pro Shops, or any local outdoor camping/canoeing store. They are rubberized bags that you roll up and make them waterproof. If you bottle breaks it will contain the contents. Open your bag in the shower just in case!

jc

So my questions are...

1. We are flying into port... do we pack it in checked luggage? Can you pack alcohol in a suitcase to board a plane? Or should we purchase once we land and on our way to port.

Why would you even think of putting something that could break in your checked luggage? The clothes in that luggage should smell real nice when you get on the ship. Remember to remove the broken glass before putting your clothes on.

And don't try to take it with your carry on either. You will not get past security.

Which leaves, buying it after you land.

We are from the same feline breed, we called JBOY today and arranged for them to supply our wine. They are very reasonable. The thing that upsets us is that we have a grand suite with a great bar and we can't bring our own liquor...what's up with that:confused:

One would think the Concierge could help you with stocking your bar, for a price, of course. It's always worth asking! We're using JBOY as well.

One would think the Concierge could help you with stocking your bar, for a price, of course. It's always worth asking! We're using JBOY as well.

HI CRITTERCHICK!!! You would think that would be the case but read the thread on this year's JOS repo and the comments. There was a separate thread by the 2 ladies who had the ROYAL SUITE...and they were not able to get the Concierge to do much of anything. The ROYAL SUITE has a wet bar and they always stocked it with whatever you wanted...now it seems to be a new deal.

HI MEDFORDGIRL!!! I was going to ask you about that name!!! I live near Tufts...and know Somerville real well...what was the name of you mom's store???

Having read the "chilling effect" notice the original poster used in phrasing her question, I initially avoided this thread...

My only tongue-in-cheek response to the best way to bring alcohol on board would have been to drink it before boarding and merely bring it on already in your bloodstream...

Of course, coming back to read this thread, I first noticed the rude treatment given the one anti-alcohol smuggling poster who first attempted to enter into the debate...and, surely I do not want to be treated with the same disdain...

However, I then noticed that a lot of you, including the original poster, seemed to get into the "morality" debate anyway...

So, though I'll tread lightly here, let me just address a few things...

First, I have NEVER brought alcohol (or soda or tea bags or salad dressing or anything else I can get onboard) onto a ship for the purpose of use onboard...I'll explain why in a moment...

What I have done is to bring alcohol (wine, rum, liquers, etc.) onboard that I have purchased while in port in order to bring it home...but I generally only do this where the particular spirit is something particular to the place visited and can not be easily acquired back home...I am NOT going to schlepp a bottle of Bacardi that I can buy at Costco for $19.95 through a vacation and on and off of ships and planes just because I got it for only $15 by buying it in San Juan...It's a "value" thing...It's just not worth the whopping $4.95 I'm saving...

But, when I do procure a bottle or two while on the cruise, I generally carry it, virtually in the open, right onto the ship...Sometimes they have confiscated it, returning it to me the final night...and other times, they've let me take it straight on...there seems to be no sense to it...but, since I'm not drinking it onboard, I don't care...

On the plane, I'll generally keep it in a carry-on so as to avoid the breakage issue...With the new security rules, I'm not really sure now...of course, they seem to change those rules day to day...

But, the real question I wanted to get to here is that "morality" issue...

Look, I, personally could care less whether YOU cheat the cruise line out of its liquor profit...You want to drink in your cabin from your personal stash, fine by me...

If you want to drink from your personal stash in public areas, hey, I'm not "turning you in"...that's not my job...But, yeah, I really do think it's incredibly tacky and lackling in class...But so are a lot of other things a lot of other people are doing...I can only handle myself with class, I can't be responsible for anyone else...

And, since I can't I can only tell you what I think...or how I think...and consider this a "public service"--food for thought--rather than a criticism...

Drop the "morality" point and look instead at a "cruising philosophy" issue:

My philosophy of cruising is that you want the easiest, simplest, most stress-free vacation possible...

This means I pack as light as possible, I bring as little as possible, etc.

To ME, the biggest issue is that it's just not worth it to overload my luggage or carry additional bags...

For ME, the costs involved are inconsequential--an additional couple of hundred dollars in bar bills doesn't make or break me... I'm willing to pay for my drinks...just like I pay at a restaurant or bar when I go out--sure, I can buy booze cheaper than my favorite restaurants charge me, but, I don't bring my own there either...

I pay the cost in return for the convenience and the service...

Thyis is my deal with the cruise lines: I pay them whatever they charge...and they take care of it for me...

Of course, it all comes down to what YOUR objectives are in cruising...

HI CRITTERCHICK!!! You would think that would be the case but read the thread on this year's JOS repo and the comments. There was a separate thread by the 2 ladies who had the ROYAL SUITE...and they were not able to get the Concierge to do much of anything. The ROYAL SUITE has a wet bar and they always stocked it with whatever you wanted...now it seems to be a new deal.

HI MEDFORDGIRL!!! I was going to ask you about that name!!! I live near Tufts...and know Somerville real well...what was the name of you mom's store???

She owned (with her mom and sister) the yarn shop it was right beside the somerville theatre. On the other corner was a drug store.

Does anyone know if I can bring a bottle of wine from JBOY to dinner and if they would charge a corkage? I had read somewhere that if you had a gift in your room from say, your TA then they wouldn't charge a corkage? So, how would they know it isn't a gift?