Alcohol onboard questions, comments, etc. (merged)

picnicpat

One more thing. We were pleasantly surprised by the wine selection on the Navigator. As you may have guessed, we are a little bit snobby about are wine (and we will admit it! hehe). We assumed the selection would be terrible, based on the wine packages that you can buy (5 day and 7 day). But, we did not read about "Vintages" anywhere. Vintages is a wine store/bar in the Promenade. You can get a glass, bottle or even do a vertical tasting there. But, you can also buy a bottle and walk it to the restaurant (and not pay a corkage fee). The selection was very good there, and nobody should be concerned about finding good wine. If we did the cruise again, we would probably only bring 1 special bottle, and buy the rest at Vintages.

The mark-ups also were not horrible. They were the typical mark-up you would see in restaurants, nothing more.

We wish that we knew about Vintages before, so we didn't have to press our luck with bubblewrapping and double-bagging wine in our checked luggage.

One more thing. We were pleasantly surprised by the wine selection on the Navigator. As you may have guessed, we are a little bit snobby about are wine (and we will admit it! hehe). We assumed the selection would be terrible, based on the wine packages that you can buy (5 day and 7 day). But, we did not read about "Vintages" anywhere. Vintages is a wine store/bar in the Promenade. You can get a glass, bottle or even do a vertical tasting there. But, you can also buy a bottle and walk it to the restaurant (and not pay a corkage fee). The selection was very good there, and nobody should be concerned about finding good wine. If we did the cruise again, we would probably only bring 1 special bottle, and buy the rest at Vintages.

The mark-ups also were not horrible. They were the typical mark-up you would see in restaurants, nothing more.

We wish that we knew about Vintages before, so we didn't have to press our luck with bubblewrapping and double-bagging wine in our checked luggage.

How much for an average bottle of wine ?

I know they charge $29 for a bottle of Beringer White Zinfindel that you get back home for $5-$6 a bottle.

Bob:)

How much for an average bottle of wine ?

I know they charge $29 for a bottle of Beringer White Zinfindel that you get back home for $5-$6 a bottle.

I noticed that...that kind of markup is kinda hard to go for, isn't it? :eek:

My husband has the following example:

Opus One was about $230

Mondavi Cab (not reserve) was $140 (he thinks)

The lower end wines began at approx. $20

We had one of the basic Cline Red Zin's in Windjammer (very limited wine list) for about $30, but can't remember which Zin it was.

There was a nice Jordan Cabernet Sauvignon for $100 but it was not in stock for our cruise. In the main dining room we also had an Errazuriz Don Maximiano Founder's Reserve for $100.

Also, Vintages wine bar offers a number of excellent wines that are not available in the restaurants (strange, huh?). So if you are willing to pay the (approx 100% markup) you can pick up a bottle there and take it the dinner with you. If price is no object, there is lots of choice on board.

I noticed that...that kind of markup is kinda hard to go for, isn't it? :eek:

Yeah...I like wine with my dinner and find it a bit much to spend every night on a bottle of cheap wine that you can get in the dining room.

Is it any wonder why people want to smuggle wine on the ship to have in the dining room and pay a corkage fee ?:rolleyes:

After several weeks of planning we were tossed as to smuggle or basket. We Went basket, that way if it is not delivered you can protest witht the invoice and get a ship credit.

We just recently cruised with RCI and had a gift basket ordered from "Just Beceause Of You" is was a large gift basket with several bottles. The day beofre we sailed I called to confirm and was informed that there was a death in the family and they were cancelling all deliveries that weekend. Now, I do understand that emergencies happen, but to shut down a business that is suposed to be able to deliver to all US ports and leave us hanging was unexceptable!! Just Because of You could not even give us a referral. So, being the Friday after Thanksgiving I tried to call Well Wishers...they were closed. I didn't want to used them in the 1st place because they were really expensive. We found another company "Ocean Promotions" Kenny took our rush order on a holiday weekend and got our basket delivered to the ship before sailing the next day!! Everything was well packed and raised no questions from the crew and the prices were very resonable and no extra rush charge! I highly recommend him!! You can find them on the internet. Happy Cruising!

How was "Ocean Promotion" pricing compared to "Just Because of You"? I have a group I am purchasing gifts for and since it is for many items, would like to find the best pricing

What ship were you on? We leave on Saturday on Navigator of the Seas. We love very nice wine too. We have onlyseen posted wine selections which are very cheap. I'm glad to hear that nicer bottles are available. Did you see any Silver Oak, Cakebreads, Jarvis or Chimney Rock? We love Napa wines.

We paid 89 for Jordan on SOV this past August. They did not decant (had no decanters on board:confused:) and served us in small, cheap wine glasses. If I am going to pay this much for a bottle of good wine then IMO it should be properly served.

I also feel the mark ups are high, though more so on the lesser priced wines.

Yeah...I like wine with my dinner and find it a bit much to spend every night on a bottle of cheap wine that you can get in the dining room.

Is it any wonder why people want to smuggle wine on the ship to have in the dining room and pay a corkage fee ?:rolleyes:

On our last two RCCL cruises, we would bring a couple of bottles from home that were also featured on the RCCL wine list. I would take them into the dining room and they would be served without any mention of the corkage fee. Like someone pointed out, I think it's a crime to charge almost $30 for a bottle of White Zin (not that I'm a big fan of it, but sometimes my fiance likes to have it). The cruise line should stop being so greedy!

We were on the Navigator. Check out Vintages, you will be impressed!

Can't remember exactly what Napa wines were available. As I said, we brought 4 bottles with us, so didn't really need to buy much more. We dined in Windjammer the first night (too tired to stay up for late seating) and the selection was terrible there (had a Cline red zin for approx. $30).

Sounds great !!!

We were going to possibly bring some wine with us in our checked luggage but, was not sure if this would be a problem now or not.

Thanks for the update nedleycan.

I wouldn't worry and just bring your own with you. I just arrived home on Tuesday from my b2b's aboard the Radiance and the Freedom. I brought 15 bottles of wine and just packed it in a wine shipping box (plain box with egg cartons made for wine bottles inside) and checked it onto the ship without disguising the box in any way and it made it on both ships. I like to have a good bottle of wine with dinner and I like to share with my tablemates. I brought it into the dining room with no problems. I will post a pic showing the box. The box came with me from Canada on three flight segments with no problems at all. The airlines marked it as fragile and I had to declare it as wine and sign that I would not hold the airline responsible for breakage. This label was clearly visable on the box when I checked it onto the ship and it arrived safe and sound in my stateroom!:D:D:D

IMG_3100_1.JPG.17e63e72428424fe005927a60f0786ff.JPG

IMG_3102_1.JPG.90fd94bd03fe540c39c2858f80081ed7.JPG

Sandie

What drinks are available in the Windjammer? I prefer to mix my rum with punch or lemonade and plan to bring some rum on board and use these for mixers. I don't care of soft drinks in my drinks, except maybe gingerale in with my whiskey.

Will be sailing on the Radiance on Jan 6 (16 of us with a wedding) and before that I will be on NCL Pearl Dec 18.

What a treat for me!! Two cruises within a few weeks of each other.

Thanks everyone!!

What drinks are available in the Windjammer? I prefer to mix my rum with punch or lemonade and plan to bring some rum on board and use these for mixers. I don't care of soft drinks in my drinks, except maybe gingerale in with my whiskey.

Will be sailing on the Radiance on Jan 6 (16 of us with a wedding) and before that I will be on NCL Pearl Dec 18.

What a treat for me!! Two cruises within a few weeks of each other.

Thanks everyone!!

Hi,

Just curious - do any of you know if you can buy some kind of alcohol drink card aboard a Royal Caribbean ship that would make your cruise seem "all inclusive?" A friend of ours just went on Monarch and mentioned something about the alcohol drinks being included in something he bought. Any ideas? I'd love to do something like this for our cruise aboard Jewel on Sunday!!! TIA.

ETA: Nevermind...I finally found the "wine and dine" packages on the RCI website. I don't know how much you have to pay, but you get 1 bottle of wine per night at dinner. Have any of you done this? Is it worth it??? Are your wine choices any good???

Have done the wine package a couple of times. You can have a bottle each night or take it back to you cabin or skip a night and have 2 the next. Not bad wine but not always the best. They have a champaigne selection as well. I think for a 7 day cruise a few years back it came out to something like 12-15 a bottle. Something like that.

[quote name='Cruisehappymn']Have done the wine package a couple of times. You can have a bottle each night or take it back to you cabin or skip a night and have 2 the next. Not bad wine but not always the best. They have a champaigne selection as well. I think for a 7 day cruise a few years back it came out to something like 12-15 a bottle. Something like that.[/quote]

There are three levels with prices that vary according to "quality". None are too special. And none are quite that cheap!:)

[quote name='redcat72']We just used Wellwishers last week. We got a case of Miller Lite delivered to our stateroom. If they can find what you want, they'll deliver it. It came the night of our departure out of Miami. Worked out well.[/quote]

What did it cost for the case of beer? Was it made up nice in a basket or just delivered as a case?

[quote name='luvcruzen']What did it cost for the case of beer? Was it made up nice in a basket or just delivered as a case?[/quote]

Hi,

I emailed them today, and they said it will cost $65 for a case of imported beer and $55 for domestic. At just $2.29 for each can/bottle of Coors Light, I'd be happy if it was wrapped up nicely or just in the good 'ol silver bullet box!!! Silver and red is festive. ;-) My question is why would RCI let you drink this alcohol, but they won't let you drink a bottle of liquor you buy in their onboard gift shop or from one of the ports?! That doesn't make sense.