New renderings of 'Queen Victoria'

highcbob

She looks lovely to me.

But what do I know?

We'll soon be hearing plenty about all that is 'wrong' with her.

thanks for posting the link.

Like .... Too Victorian, too Edwardian, too faux, too this, too that ...... unfortunately they appear to be using the Princess bag of tricks to produce the visuals and so there are a few 'Princess' design features (particularly the timber trim ceiling details, butlers tables and chesterfield sofas) which hopefully won't be there in the real thing!!!

I think we really ought to wait until we see the first photos before passing judgement on this ship.

I'm certainly looking forward to my trip in January 08!!!

Ken

Well... Some of these are old, but there are a few new ones.

As with QM2, with the Grand Lobby they have fallen into the trap of applying an architectural style to a space that would have itself been impossible to create during the period of that style.

It may look all right, but this is a major error from an architectural standpoint.

I see some of the same in the Queens Room, too. And yes, there are "Princess" touches... Which should come as no surprise as she is being designed by Princess.

Otherwise, she really does not look bad. Not my style - I wish they stuck with their original goal which was to create a "modern British liner" - but not bad either.

Spaces like the Grand Lobby will ensure that the replication of the period style will not be as faithful as the R ships or (especially) DEUTSCHLAND, but it does look to me that it will be stronger than aboard QM2 (where they couldn't even decide what period style it was that they were trying to replicate).

If one strips away all the hype of her being a "great ocean liner", she will probably be a very nice ship.

... As with QM2, with the Grand Lobby they have fallen into the trap of applying an architectural style to a space that would have itself been impossible to create during the period of that style.

It may look all right, but this is a major error from an architectural standpoint..

And you have fallen into the trap of talking architectural nonsense. As an architect (qualified 1980) I see no 'major error' in applying an architectural style (though it really is more decorative than architectural) to such a space, whether or not it could or would have been used on such a space in the past. Architecture is a living breathing art which adapts and moves with the times and, as an old design cynic like me would say, nothing is new!

... Spaces like the Grand Lobby will ensure that the replication of the period style will not be as faithful as the R ships or (especially) DEUTSCHLAND, but it does look to me that it will be stronger than aboard QM2 (where they couldn't even decide what period style it was that they were trying to replicate)..

I don't think you are reading these sketches correctly. Nowhere do I see any sort of 'replication' of a period style and frankly I would hate it if there were. There is a lot of 'ocean liner' period references and inspiration going on, but it seems to me as if the detail is going be handled in quite a contemporary way.

If one strips away all the hype of her being a "great ocean liner", she will probably be a very nice ship.

High praise indeed .... but what's wrong with hyping her? Cunard have been successfully hyping up a very mediocre product for many years. Apparently it's all in the character icon12.gif

Ken

who chooses not to use his R.I.B.A. these days

I see no 'major error' in applying an architectural style (though it really is more decorative than architectural) to such a space

Sorry, I meant decorative style, not architectural.

I know "anything goes" these days, but to me if you are going to use a period style you ought to create a space that actually looks like it is from that period.

To me it is a major error.

as an old design cynic like me would say, nothing is new!

Oh of course not; now with postmodernism people just mix things up in a confused mess of different styles and pretend they're actually creating something ;) .

There is a lot of 'ocean liner' period references and inspiration going on, but it seems to me as if the detail is going be handled in quite a contemporary way.

I understand that this is what they are aiming for which is why I think it is rubbish ;) .

If you are going to make something look new, make it look new! If you want to make it look old, then let it actually look old.

To me, QUEEN VICTORIA looks like something new trying to look old and not doing a very good job of it.

what's wrong with hyping her? Cunard have been successfully hyping up a very mediocre product for many years.

Of course; but some of us are eternal optimists and hope that someday perhaps they might actually succeed in making the product live up to the hype ;) .

..... but to me if you are going to use a period style you ought to create a space that actually looks like it is from that period.

.....To me it is a major error.

.....now with postmodernism people just mix things up in a confused mess of different styles and pretend they're actually creating something

.....I understand that this is what they are aiming for which is why I think it is rubbish ;) .

.....If you are going to make something look new, make it look new! If you want to make it look old, then let it actually look old.

To me, QUEEN VICTORIA looks like something new trying to look old and not doing a very good job of it.... .

Oh Doug ..... you don't seem to get the subtleties of design at all - you may perhaps take ancient Rome as a reference or inspiration but what you design doesn't need to come out looking like a 100% replica Roman temple. There may be a lot of poor design out there but you need to know how to look for the good and know why it's good not just reject what you don't appreciate - Lost cause I'm thinking wink.gif

Ken

Interesting renderings - particularly the Commodore Club and Queens Room.

The decor rather puts me in mind of a large steakhouse just outside Basingstoke (Hampshire) which I had the misfortune to visit one Saturday evening.

You know the sort of place, everyone in their TK Primax finery and a permanent feeding frenzy at the salad cart.

Oh and a waitress who kept asking us if we were "happy with our meeeeuwz"

Sorry, the memory has given me a headache and I'm drifting rather off-topic. Just going for a lie down and a stiff gin.

Tim ;)

you don't seem to get the subtleties of design at all

Fortunately, QV does not look very subtle!

you may perhaps take ancient Rome as a reference or inspiration but what you design doesn't need to come out looking like a 100% replica Roman temple.

Interesting example. To me, to design (for example) a modern cruise ship atrium in "Victorian" style is like building a skyscraper with Roman decoration. Which I think most people would agree would look stupid. (Or maybe not.)

There may be a lot of poor design out there but you need to know how to look for the good and know why it's good not just reject what you don't appreciate

As you presumably think looks good, could you please explain why, other than that you like the way it looks ;) ?

There may be a lot of poor design out there but you need to know how to look for the good and know why it's good not just reject what you don't appreciate

Ken,

As Samuel Johnson said "You may abuse a tragedy, though you cannot write one. You may scold a carpenter who has made you a bad table, though you cannot make a table. It is not your trade to make tables."

Boswell: Life

So Doug is perfectly entitled to reject what he views as bad design, even though he hasn't got R.I.B.A, after his name!;)

Peter

PS Perhaps we should set the cat among the pigeons and invite suggestions for what RIBA stands for!

To me, to design (for example) a modern cruise ship atrium in "Victorian" style is like building a skyscraper with Roman decoration. Which I think most people would agree would look stupid. (Or maybe not.

Geez, you really wouldn't appreciate the Las Vegas strip, I don't think...:eek:

(But Roman decoration is mostly not original, it was all Greek to them, and any large city's skyline has plenty of Greek influence)

Maybe getting unstuck from this "Victorian" idea would help.

Did Cunard claim to be building a Victorian ship?

Is it the ship's name that is giving people the idea that her interiors should be strictly authentic Victorian?

Even if Cunard did claim the Queen Victoria to be a Victorian reproduction, how can a modern ship built for the modern market not take liberties?

I don't believe that Period equates to "old". This is a very narrow thought process.

KenC said it all very well.

Ken,

As Samuel Johnson said "You may abuse a tragedy, though you cannot write one. You may scold a carpenter who has made you a bad table, though you cannot make a table. It is not your trade to make tables."

Boswell: Life

So Doug is perfectly entitled to reject what he views as bad design, even though he hasn't got R.I.B.A, after his name!;)

Peter

PS Perhaps we should set the cat among the pigeons and invite suggestions for what RIBA stands for!

There's an old show business saying...

"Those who can, do. Those who cannot, criticize".

(I enjoy this, being myself a recent victim of professional "critics")

I, for one, am impressed by inclusion in the Royal Institute of British Architects.

Malcolm and Doug - I was talking about the subtleties of 'DESIGN' not QV. Doug look again there are many skyscrapers with 'Roman' design references and decoration!!!

Peter - I was trying to point out to Doug that he was rejecting something he was imagining and not something he was seeing!!!! Of course he is perfectly entitled to say he doesn't like something but not to pontificate about 'major architectural errors'. If you think I am not more qualified after 6 years in University and 25 years in practice to talk authoritively about architectural design then perhaps you should visit a carpenter next time you need medical advise!!!

Stowaway2k - thanks for seeing the wood for the trees!!

Ken

I am not more qualified after 6 years in University and 25 years in practice to talk authoritively about architectural design

Ken,

Thats why we wait, with baited breath, your thoughts on the design subtleties of the Queen Vic!;)

Peter

Interesting renderings - particularly the Commodore Club and Queens Room.

The decor rather puts me in mind of a large steakhouse just outside Basingstoke (Hampshire) which I had the misfortune to visit one Saturday evening.

If you think I am not more qualified after 6 years in University and 25 years in practice to talk authoritively about architectural design then perhaps you should visit a carpenter next time you need medical advise!!!Ken

25 years in practice? This is starting to look jolly suspicious.

So, Ken, could it be that the design of the above steakhouse is a piece of YOUR handywork? :rolleyes:

WOW...the OP posts a perfectly reasonable post to share some information he believed we hadn't seen. And look what happens....the Cunard gremlins come out ready to do battle.

So naturally I have to throw my 2 cents in!!;) IMHO all design has originated somewhere, sometime, as far back in history as we want to look. And then it got modified, enhanced, distorted...and then it was "new design" all over again with a whole new name to differentiate it from the original, whatever that was. And that got modified...etc, etc...you get the point. So what one perceives as influenced by a particular style, others see as evocative of something else entirely. And what one person is enthralled with another finds ludicrious...and so the arguments will continue as to what is good design.

And do you know what I think? I think good design is what makes you comfortable...what makes you feel good about your surroundings...what soothes and relaxes you, a feeling that envelops you. I don't like 'design" that slaps me in the face to notice it and I don't like design that is so garish it gives me a headache. And some of you probably love that sort of thing...and that's what makes us different. And that's why we will never agree on what design is...or should be.

Call me simplistic....sometimes I"m just that kind of gal.;) So much of what we see everywhere today is an amalgamation of things that have come and gone before...often long before any of us was even here. And yet we discuss it as if we had intimate knowledge of exactly what it was. Look at women's fashion...I wore Bellbottoms the first time they were around...or was it? And lookie here, they're back...with a new name.

The ship is named Queen Victoria. Period!!! From what I've read, that's all. Now maybe I missed something but it almost sounds like some of us are ready to bash her before she's even floated out. A tad premature maybe? It seems I remember a bit of negativity when she was announced to be a modified Vista class...comments like how could she be a proper "Queen" etc. Seems to me the proper Queen is a dignified lady our British cousins call Her Majesty and she lives in London..mostly. And any ship with the prefix "Queen" is just that...a ship named Queen something or other. Should the 2 Queen Elizabeths have been done purely in Elizabethean decor because of their names?

It would be nice to see her become what she's going to become...not to mention the fact that there isn't anyone at Cunard/Carnival who gives a fig what we think about the design planned for her. And i don't mean to sound argumentative with anyone here, altho Host Doug, maybe you sound a tad negative about her?;)

I for one like what I've seen here. Gosh, am I boring or what!! It looks attractive, comfortable, and doesn't smack you around with what it's trying to be. It appears to be a blending of color, texture and style that will hopefully move seamlessly from one interior space to the other. Then again folks, these are just renderings...which are notorious for being modified.

So I'll just wait here quietly and wait for the real thing to come. I'm prepared to give her a chance and I hope she'll do some itineraries I'd enjoy because I'd probably like to give her a try.

Cheers, Penny.....who is putting on her flame retardent attire as she posts;)

WOW again....I agree with Kyle...we haven't been snide and sarcastic around here for some time now. Not since the dreaded pod debates...the steerage arguments....jeans on board... the Commodore leaving. And to descend to sarcasm over something as inocuous as the decor of a ship barely underway....

Cheers, Penny....who is picking up her marbles and going home til we can play nice again.;)

I think good design is what makes you comfortable...what makes you feel good about your surroundings...what soothes and relaxes you, a feeling that envelops you.

Penny

I think thats a perfectly reasonable definition of 'good' design - and indeed thats what liner design has long been about....making the customer feel comfortable. How that was executed has changed over time, starting with the Arts & Crafts movement, then on to the Beaux Arts and Art Deco national showcases. So liners not only said something about the customers, but about their builders and their home countries. In Cunard's history the Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and QE2 tried (with varying degrees of success) to say something about contemporary Britain (their predecessors had been floating Country Houses or Grand Hotels) - and the QE2, in her day was quite a design icon. But of that swinging 60s QE2 beyond the pillars in the Queen's Room little remains. So what does the Queen Victoria say about us, as passengers and Britain as a country (and reasonably Anglo-America). In my view, 'unoriginal pastiche' is the phrase that commends itself most forcefully....but thats just me - and others will have differing - and equally valid - perspectives.

Peter

Cheers, Penny.....who is putting on her flame retardent attire as she posts;)

Penny, I wouldn't worry.

Dunno about the others but I'm happy to class myself as a "Cunard Gremlin" and a bit of an old f**t when it comes to anything Cunard-related.

I certainly hope to travel on QV one day, but I don't think those artists impressions do her any favours. main problem is she's going to be so darn SLOW compared to QE2 (and QM2) - but I'll stop there before a whole new can of worms is opened.

PS Please tell me, what is an OP? I've seen it written loads of times and have to confess that I've no idea what it stands for!

Good work.

Very quick indeed for a friendly debate to turn snide and sarcastic.

Nah, I wouldn't call any of the above posts either snide or sarcastic - just a bit of feisty, spirited debate - without which the world would be a very dull place!

Ken,

Thats why we wait, with baited breath, your thoughts on the design subtleties of the Queen Vic!;)

Peter

Peter

You seem to want to misunderstand what I write as much as Doug fails to see the subtlety of design icon10.gif

Ken

splendid glass-domed roof of the contemporary stunning nightclub...serene, stately ambience....where warm mahogany, the ornate spiral staircase and leather sofas...Inspired by London's Burlington and Royal Arcades, the wood panelling, wrought iron, green marbles and white stone combine to stylish effect....an ambience reminiscent of that enjoyed by Queen Victoria in her much loved home, Osborne House...the sun-dappled horizon in almost every direction from this grand conservatory, filled with greenery...uniquely glamorous venue occupies three impressive stories with tiered seating and intricately fronted private boxes...the creative artwork provides and eye-catching centrepiece

Well, if Ken is waiting to see what she looks like once completed, which is fair enough,...we'll just have to make do with what Cunard thinks she has going for her.....

Archived