New renderings of 'Queen Victoria'

highcbob

Penny, I wouldn't worry.

Dunno about the others but I'm happy to class myself as a "Cunard Gremlin" and a bit of an old f**t when it comes to anything Cunard-related.

I certainly hope to travel on QV one day, but I don't think those artists impressions do her any favours. main problem is she's going to be so darn SLOW compared to QE2 (and QM2) - but I'll stop there before a whole new can of worms is opened.

PS Please tell me, what is an OP? I've seen it written loads of times and have to confess that I've no idea what it stands for!

TJL.....An OP means Original Poster...in this case, you as the originator of this thread. I had the same problem when I started here. Took me forever to discover that DH meant dear husband!!

As to slow, I won't mind. I crossed many times long ago in a 12-13,000 gross ton ship who took 8 days to go from Norway to NY. I loved every SLOW heavenly minute on the ocean. OK, maybe some of the storms weren't heavenly but I enjoyed them!! I'm in no hurry....

Cheers, Penny

(But Roman decoration is mostly not original, it was all Greek to them, and any large city's skyline has plenty of Greek influence)

Yes of course, but then I've always preferred ancient Greece anyway.

Did Cunard claim to be building a Victorian ship?

Not in so many words, but they have made a big deal of the fact that the Queens Room supposedly looks like the interior of Osborne House! Clearly they are playing up the "Victorian" aspect.

Is it the ship's name that is giving people the idea that her interiors should be strictly authentic Victorian?

No. I think it's an awful idea. I'd rather have modern interiors. But if they're going to do Victorian, they might as well do authentic Victorian...

(Then again, I guess just about anything goes as Victorian seeing as Victorian design was itself a riotous combination of conflicting styles!)

If you think I am not more qualified after 6 years in University and 25 years in practice to talk authoritively about architectural design then perhaps you should visit a carpenter next time you need medical advise!!!

OK, so those of us who aren't professional architects are just philistines and should take what those of you who really know what you're doing tell us we should ;) .

I assume you would agree that there is some bad architecture out there - presumably this is also designed by people who have probably been to university and possibly practiced for many years and so on?

If a surgeon amputates the wrong limb, do we have no right to say it's a major medical error unless we've been do medical school ;) ?

Okay,

My nickle (Inflation, you know!)

I don't know nuttin' 'bout archetecture, don't know nuttin' 'bout style. don't know nuttin' 'bout decorative styles. Can't even spell 'em!

The rooms- Look just like every other Cunard room I have ever stayed in. Show me where it is the least bit different from the rooms in the QM2. Or for that matter, if I remember correctly, the Crown Jewel, which I believe wasn't even designed by Cunard! But had the same style- The blond wood veneer with dark trim, as todays table's closet's, bookshelves, couches (well, not the wood) beds and headboards- all alike. I can't speak for grill "suites" (certainly a misnomer as few are suites, and most are barely deluxe balcony cabins on other ships!) But if you market it as a "PRINCESS GRILL SUITE" and appeal to people's sense (and fear) of inferiority so that if they are in a "grill Suite" they will pay more money to think they are somehow better (money or class- doesn't matter) than they feel that they are- We are all so desperate to feel better about ourselves. Or, maybe, they grumblingly pay more, to get a room which is merely adequate.

So while I have ENJOYED a Deluxe Verandah Suite on HAL, I don't have nearly enough money to afford the meanest "grill" accomodations on Cunard. So I cannot judge those differences, having never experienced that rarefied air.

As for the public places? Same stuff, different day, as the ubiquitous "they" say. Muddy colors- No vibrancy (IMHO- YMMV) I do not go in for gold tones with a slight bit of orange brown and a glimpse of blue or green only from the gaming tables or the glimpse of sky. The rest strikes me as quite bland. So I have tacky tastes, perferring bright, happy, yes.. Caribbean ! colors to leaden dusty old world "sophisitcated" understated colors (can't tell the drapes from the sunlight streaming through the centuires old dust!) mixed with heavy plaster carvings on the ceilings and ornate scrolls, filigree, greco-roman logy elephantine design influences.

It's time to put to bed the myth that bright, happy Caribbean is something only the lowest of the low- only really tacky tasteless people- sunburned noses glowing over huge bellies laden with the latest photographic gegetry, none of which the owner knows how to use, over loud shirt, too tight and short shorts, white socks and black sandals. Oh, and since I am a woman, don't forget the tacky sunglasses (cat's eye of course) and tacky loud flamingo tote (yes, I DO own several- So sue me!)

England needs to get over the fact that when the universe was born, it was relegated to the higher latitudes. Just becasue in the medieval days everything was darkened and muddied by the soot of constantly burning fires that we must remain so in modern times. Gold paint does not a classy room, make! I LOVE mahogany. Have deep rich tones in some rooms of my home! But I also don't feel a need to make everything look Edwardian and heavy! (Sorry if I have chosen the wrong style- As I said, I know nothing about various styles except that some overly ornate and heavy period pieces make me think life must be lived in hushed and depressed tones and laughter must NEVER ring out, lest the entire mood be shattered. What is needed in life are more antimacasars browned and yellowed with dust and tobacco smoke stains. (NOT!)

So!

How is everyone's else's mood this morning? As we can tell, I am bright and cheerful as I prepare to go for my annual mammogram! (oh joy!) (Snarl, growl, grouse!)

Honestly, I see nothing in these pictures to distinguished it from every other CRUISE SHIP (HAL, RCCL, CARNIVAL, COSTA, CELEBRITY, PRINCESS, NCL) ship plying the seas anywhere these days. And THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE CARIBBEAN DAMMIT! (not that I am a bit sensitive of that)- I LOVE the Caribbean, the hot passions, the hot sun, the bright colors, dynamic exciting music- Gets one's pulse going, as compared to sipping tea from dainty cups with perfectly starched and non-utitilarian gloves on, while someone plinks politely on the harpsichord or the well tuned clavier, a lovely lady in dark long plain skirt her long levly neck curved like a swan to meet the chin rest of her viloin, and other in graceful skirts (hiked up around her thighs to accomodate he huge harp- Hell, let's give her an autoharp- like they use in (WAHOO) Appalaichia! Throw in some bright fiddle instead of that dreary depressing muted (don't DARE get excited) violin- oh and make sure there are "panties" on the paino-forte. Wouldn't want someone's darker side aroused by the sight of the carved exciting paino legs! (plink, plink!) I wish the "Traditionalists" would stop being afraid of their collective passions. It does seem like the difference between old and stodgy and "proper"; and bright and vibrant and exciting is fear of passion. We don't have to have her looking like a Carnival ship with the grand boulevard complete with Mel's Diner and a faux- 1955 Ford Fairlane parked by the shiny chrome stools with red leatherette seats. But can't we breathe just a LITTLE bit of life into this new ship without it being branded as tacky? Must it look like someone was afraid to wake up the passion for art, color and light stirring in their loins! God forbid we let that beast out. We might never get it contained again and lord knows, it would be declasse' to experience passion in our lives!

Okay, I'm cranky and grouchy this morning. By afternoon, I will think it is GRANDE DESIGN, different from ANY OTHER SHIP AT SEA! with the GRANDEST LIBRARY AT SEA and the LARGEST DANCEFLOOR AT SEA and the GRANDEST THREE TIERED LOBBY (where is that different from Carnival Corps soaring atria - plural of atrium?- and the Oh, the Hyperbole! Is this what passes for passion on Cunard?

<yawn> Ho hum- Looks like every other ship put out today. hyperbole notwithstanding!

Sorry.

Karie, who is not impressed. But also- has no taste whatsoever, and is certainly no learn-ed expert in these matters!

Back to your morning coffee- extra milk please, so as not to actually TASTE the dreadful stuff!

Honestly, I see nothing in these pictures to distinguished it from every other CRUISE SHIP (HAL, RCCL, CARNIVAL, COSTA, CELEBRITY, PRINCESS, NCL) ship plying the seas anywhere these days.

That's the problem - on the inside it looks just like any other cruise ship. Cunard have a history of liners, liners that have set fashions. The QV looks just like any of a plethora of other ships.

Karie, dear, Karie,....

There are plenty of choices out there for folks who do not care for the style that you feel QV is going to project; it's what makes the world go 'round. If the old world feeling of Cunard doesn't sit well with you, perhaps you're barking up the wrong cruise line. The vibrant colors (and playfulness) of RCI or NCL might be more to your liking.

If you feel Cunard should be something other than what it is, I'm afraid you're screaming at deaf ears. People sail on different ships for different reasons and, at least in my case, that changes all the time. That's why I don't sail on Cunard excusively. But to expect a company to do an about face and go against the grain regarding what's made them famous is kind of like waiting for Jimmy Hoffa to show up wearing a ballet outfit and army boots,...it's just not going to happen.

BTW, passion is not something that can be measured by the style of ship folks like to sail on. I have a passion for all things Victorian, and yet my favorite ship of all time is NORMANDIE,...the epitome of Art Deco. I love to sit around and drink tea out of dainty cups and listen to chamber music BUT, I am also the guitarist and vocalist of a Heavy Metal band. So I think your argument that folks are afraid of letting go of their passion is off the mark. People indulge in their passions in different ways and at different times; it in no way means that they are missing out on what they enjoy,...

Lastly, I think it a bit unfair to put the cart before the horse; only AFTER QV enters service and folks actually SAIL on her will we be able to say for sure if she's a flop or not.

-Russ

Cunard have a history of liners, liners that have set fashions.

Malcolm,

In fairness, I think thats a bit of a stretch as far as interior design goes - technology, in the early 1900s with turbines, they led, but thereafter pretty conservative technologocally too. If one wants 'liners that have set fashions' I think the French (Ile de France and Normandie) would be leading the pack, with the Dutch (Rotterdam) and Italians (Conte di Savoi, Andrea Doria) getting honourable mentions. Among British companies, Orient lines' Orion was ahead of anything Cunard tried, until possibly the now vanished QE2. Cunard, like its clientel has tended to be comfortably conservative.

Peter

Taking the above descriptions from Cunard, lets see how many architectural styles and reigns of British monarchs the Queen Victoria is intended to capture:

splendid glass-domed roof of the contemporary stunning nightclub...

Contemporary - Elizabethan II

serene, stately ambience....where warm mahogany, the ornate spiral staircase and leather sofas...

Bodlein Library? built 1602 - Elizabeth I

Inspired by London's Burlington and Royal Arcades, the wood panelling, wrought iron, green marbles and white stone combine to stylish effect....

Burlington built 1819 - Georgian.

The Royal Arcades, in both London, and Melbourne are Victorian.

an ambience reminiscent of that enjoyed by Queen Victoria in her much loved home, Osborne House...

Built 1845-1851 - Victorian

the sun-dappled horizon in almost every direction from this grand conservatory, filled with greenery...

Kew Gardens Palm House? Built 1844-48 - Victorian

uniquely glamorous venue occupies three impressive stories with tiered seating and intricately fronted private boxes...

Theatre Royal Drury Lane? The first, built in 1663 had boxes, according to Pepys Diary, which were so far from the stage he was confident they could not hear - Charles II - Restoration.

the creative artwork provides and eye-catching centrepiece

Difficult to tell - but looks Art-Deco to me - Georgian (V & VI)

So, in chronological order:

Elizabeth I

Charles II

George III

Victoria

George V

George VI

Elizabeth II

The decorators of the Aquitania clearly lacked ambition....they stuck mainly to the period from the Restoration to the middle of the reign of George III, with the odd Jacobean touch, such as the Smoking Room.

Peter

If one wants 'liners that have set fashions' I think the French (Ile de France and Normandie) would be leading the pack, with the Dutch (Rotterdam) and Italians (Conte di Savoi, Andrea Doria) getting honourable mentions.

Well, NIEUW AMSTERDAM (1938) was much more fashion-setting than ROTTERDAM (1959) really.

ROTTERDAM's exterior profile was very radical, but her interiors not so much so.

Also let's not forget the Germans with BREMEN and EUROPA. Or even American liners like INDEPENDENCE and CONSTITUTION. And other British ships, e.g. ORION, EMPRESS OF BRITAIN etc.

I guess QUEEN VICTORIA is really very much a Cunarder because she follows the Cunard tradition of very conservative interior decor! (Of course, everything that isn't decorative is going to be new and state-of-the-art.)

..... And do you know what I think? I think good design is what makes you comfortable...what makes you feel good about your surroundings...what soothes and relaxes you, a feeling that envelops you. I don't like 'design" that slaps me in the face to notice it and I don't like design that is so garish it gives me a headache. And some of you probably love that sort of thing...and that's what makes us different. And that's why we will never agree on what design is...or should be..

Cheers, Penny.....who is putting on her flame retardent attire as she posts;)

Hi Penny ... you are perfectly correct in expecting good design to make you feel 'comfortable', but inorder for that design to make you feel so it has to be created by a combination of shape, form, colour, proportion, scale, material, texture etc. that is almost as much a science as an art.

All I have tried to point out on this thread is that there is great subtlety in most interior design and to reject something outright as being a 'major architectural error' because it is merely evocative of or takes some elements of a particular style that one does not like, is somewhat cavalier! Most designers are capable of appreciating another's design even if they don't personally like it. Foolishly I expected the same from some of the 'armchair' designers on this Board icon12.gif

Ken

OK, so those of us who aren't professional architects are just philistines and should take what those of you who really know what you're doing tell us we should ;) .?

No, I never said such a thing. I was trying to point out that you were not seeing what was there infront of you - you can see one or two 'Victorian' elements and condemn the rest as a poor and inappropriate replica. If it were such I would agree with you! Perhaps all I'm suggesting is a little more objectivity and a little less knee jerk icon6.gif

I assume you would agree that there is some bad architecture out there - presumably this is also designed by people who have probably been to university and possibly practiced for many years and so on??

What is 'bad' architecture? That's a thread in itself. Also there are other people responsible for design of buildings other than architects or university graduates. And we have not even touched on the role of the client who can often turn a great piece of design into something much less.

If a surgeon amputates the wrong limb, do we have no right to say it's a major medical error unless we've been do medical school ;) ?

But how do you know a wrong limb has been amputated unless a doctor (who has been to medical school - unlike the one who made the mistake) tells you so - can YOU tell by sight when a limb needs amputation??? icon12.gif

Ken

Taking the above descriptions from Cunard, lets see how many architectural styles and reigns of British monarchs the Queen Victoria is intended to capture:

splendid glass-domed roof of the contemporary stunning nightclub...

Contemporary - Elizabethan II

serene, stately ambience....where warm mahogany, the ornate spiral staircase and leather sofas...

Bodlein Library? built 1602 - Elizabeth I

Inspired by London's Burlington and Royal Arcades, the wood panelling, wrought iron, green marbles and white stone combine to stylish effect....

Burlington built 1819 - Georgian.

The Royal Arcades, in both London, and Melbourne are Victorian.

an ambience reminiscent of that enjoyed by Queen Victoria in her much loved home, Osborne House...

Built 1845-1851 - Victorian

the sun-dappled horizon in almost every direction from this grand conservatory, filled with greenery...

Kew Gardens Palm House? Built 1844-48 - Victorian

uniquely glamorous venue occupies three impressive stories with tiered seating and intricately fronted private boxes...

Theatre Royal Drury Lane? The first, built in 1663 had boxes, according to Pepys Diary, which were so far from the stage he was confident they could not hear - Charles II - Restoration.

the creative artwork provides and eye-catching centrepiece

Difficult to tell - but looks Art-Deco to me - Georgian (V & VI)

So, in chronological order:

Elizabeth I

Charles II

George III

Victoria

George V

George VI

Elizabeth II

The decorators of the Aquitania clearly lacked ambition....they stuck mainly to the period from the Restoration to the middle of the reign of George III, with the odd Jacobean touch, such as the Smoking Room.

Peter

So much research - why?? Your point is?? What do you hope to gain by regurgitating Cunard PR?? With a name like Queen Victoria did you really think the interiors would be modern boutique hotel??? icon12.gif

Ken

Hi Ken...I certainly don't disagree with you and I do understand that "design" is comprised of many elements that pull it all together. All I was attempting to say was that we seem to be dissecting this ship long before she's ready to be dissected, and doing so based on a very few "design" renderings and some flowery phrases from the marketing department. I have been in marketing...trust me I can make a mobile home sound like a palace with the right words.

Which is why I am more than willing to wait before passing judgment. What makes me comfortable in my surroundings would probably be totally unacceptable to others. Were her renderings to be of a Farcus type design, for me that would be like traveling in a never ending migraine. And that's just me...obviously a personal preference. My point being that we all perceive things differently and maybe try to read more into something than is actually there.

QUOTE KenC.."With a name like Queen Victoria did you really think the interiors would be modern boutique hotel??? " QUOTE

And maybe that's part of the problem...it's only her name. Not necessarily her style. QE2 is Elizabeth..did that mean she was supposed to be Elizabethean by virtue of the choice of her name? And if the design plan is so distasteful one can always sail on another ship. For all of the dissenters there will no doubt be an equal number who find it appealing. I do feel sorry for the designers of a ship like this...or the QM2. No matter what they do there will always be those who castigate their work because it doesn't fit their perception of what should have been done. Their job is to interpret the client's vision..not always an easy thing to do and please everyone.

Cheers, Penny...who is not an "armchair" designer...I just know what makes ME comfortable in MY surroundings. I am now getting off the soapbox again and pulling on the flame proof suit...again!! Really folks, I'm getting to old to keep doing this!;)

Ok, so I have one more thing to say. I go on a cruise for a variety of reasons. I go to be pampered, to relax, to be transported to lovely places and to do so in a ship that is comfortable, clean, well built and safe. I go for the ambiance of time spent at sea, away from the mundane things of ordinary life. I don't need to be entertained constantly and I do like to be fed well. I want a pleasant cabin, a comfortable bed and yes, a balcony is really kind of nice.

I don't go with the expectation of finding fault with the decor of the ship I have chosen since I should have seen enough pictures of it to know if it will fulfill my personal comfort level. I go to enjoy a fantasy life for whatever the length of the voyage...where my every wish is fulfilled, where I am waited on with pleasant service, where I can feel that I have escaped the ordinary. And perhaps that makes me a very simplistic person.;)

Queen Victoria, be what you will be and do it in your own style. There will be those who love you for what you are and those that won't for the very same reason. I hope you will sail long and well and I'll reserve judgement until you are finished.

Cheers, Penny...flame suit still on...now I'm done!;)

Here Here Penny. Ever since the announcement of the QV the knives have been out in much the same way the QE2 fans find it easy to dissect the QM2. At least with the QM2 we have a real ship to talk about. The QV is still something under construction and I find it almost comical and somewhat a bit sad that we seem to be tearing it apart even before it is built.

Penny, definitely no flaming from me. Also reserving judgement on something that I have yet to experience. I also think the ship will likely be around for many years.

David

Linerguy,

You are right , of course. I was just being cranky, and impressed with hearing my own opinions. It was boorish of me and certainly in poor taste. I apologize. I notice not to many took written umbrage, probabaly because my babblings this morning were like trying to respond to a lunatic, muttering to himself or cursing the moon and stars. Surely most kind of rolled their eyes at the unreality of my rant and shook their heads and went on about their business, tsk, tsk'ng. For that I am grateful and again, I aplogize. That isn't usually like me.

Well, that was the high point of my day, I believe. It all went downhill from there. I left the house, ran to get my allergy shot and shot over to the radiology place for my Mammogram. As I was leaving, a gentleman in front of me collapsed. We were in a medical building. Someone went to get the doctor (that he had just left) His pulse was thready and blood pressure quite low. We made him comfortable. He came to, and moslty felt okay. His blood oxygen was a bit low also. It turns out he was to be admitted to the hospital for pneumonia and was on his way over there from the doctor's office. Well, while I was on the floor with him, calling 911 and talking with the PSAP giving them information to respond and send the ambulance, and calming the man and keeping him comfortable and breathing okay and steadily, someone was helping themselves to my wallet, sitting in my purse right next to the wall in the hall where he was laying on the floor (and I next to him) so the rest of my morning (until I had to get to work) was spent getting my passport so I can get a new Driver's licenses. Cancelling all of my credit cards and trying to do a mental inventory. Class tonight was tough, and my attention was not totally focused. it is a fast paced and highly technical class. I'm exhausted and I just don't want to be in a world where someone would steal a wallet while someone is trying to help a fallen gentleman.

So sorry for my tale of woe, and sorry for my unreasonable rant. I will give her a chance, of course, though it doesn't look much like something I would care for. Penny, Thanks for not putting me in my place (and all of y'all!) as I certainly deserved. I DO hope they liven her up a bit. I DO love (which is one of the few "class" restricted spaces) the outdoor cafe. it reminds me of my image of Paris. (never been there which is why I say my image) and truly, I don't dislike victorians. I wanted to buy one when we bought this house. Either that or a Really different exciting contemporary. And I love Art Deco very much! So no, I am not prejudiced against Victorian, if that is what she is to be. OTOH, the artist's renderings do look somewhat muted in tones. That's just my taste, though, and others love those tones as much as I might rich burgundies and teals and other jeweltones.

Karie,

Who is ashamed at her childish outburst.

P.S. I got my Cunarder today- Just got home and plan to look at it now. I see they are featuring Thomas Quinones.

And our instructor just returned two weeks ago from teaching in Barbados. He said the Atlantis Submarine there was fabulous, and they visited an "artifical " wreck (one which has been sunk intentionally, either as a base to build coral or for divers to enjoy) Just FYI. I'll post to Delores on her thread about this subject.

Karie...what are you doing here when your friends who are sailing soon have been looking all over for you? we thought the Parrotheads had abducted you or something. Then we thought you'd decided to wait for us on the pier...;)

Scold you???Moi??? Not likely....that's the fun of life...we all have different tastes. Like now for example....I think I"ll just go taste that chocolate cookie on the counter. See? I can be as silly as you can!;) And that's a bg huge bummer on your wallet!! What is it with people anyway....what a hassle to go thru and here you were just being a good samaritan. Hope the man will be OK

Cheers, Penny

No, I never said such a thing. I was trying to point out that you were not seeing what was there infront of you

I'm seeing exactly what's there.

you can see one or two 'Victorian' elements and condemn the rest as a poor and inappropriate replica.

Exactly! If it were a good replica I would see more 'Victorian' elements ;) .

To me she looks like a Princess ship with a Victorian theme. Oh wait... She is a Princess ship with a Victorian theme!

Also there are other people responsible for design of buildings other than architects or university graduates. And we have not even touched on the role of the client who can often turn a great piece of design into something much less.

Well, I am not privy to Cunard's internal discussions but I assume that this ship looks the way she looks because that is what they want.

Anyhow, you are admitting that there is such a thing as a "less than great piece of design" so let me ask, what separates the great from the less than great?

With a name like Queen Victoria did you really think the interiors would be modern boutique hotel???

Why does a ship called QUEEN VICTORIA have to have "traditional" interiors?

In fact the first one (the one that became ARCADIA) was supposed to be a "modern British liner".

I wish they kept the same idea this time around. Admittedly this will probably be a much superior ship to ARCADIA but I did prefer the "modern British" idea to "Victorian"!

So much research - why?? Your point is?? What do you hope to gain by regurgitating Cunard PR?? With a name like Queen Victoria did you really think the interiors would be modern boutique hotel??? icon12.gifKen

Ken,

Since your position is 'I shall not comment until I have seen the actual' and that renderings may be misleading, why do you wish to deny those of us who do wish to comment our fun? Why should we all be forced to subscribe to your self imposed strictures? The board is called Cruise Critics. It is interesting that those who express negative opinions get bashed for doing so, but so far no one has come forward to say what they like about the design and why. Then we could have a discussion.

Is reasearch a bad thing? Since the board's avowed professional architect will not comment, I thought I'd use another 'expert' - Cunard.

As a historian am I not allowed to research history? Cunard is a line marketed on heritage, so its history of interior design is relevant. For your info, historically, up to the Queens, Cunard - in common with most lines - had used 'period' styles - with the Aquitania recognised as the one which raided the historical toolbox most promiscuously. The Queen Liners, however, were all designed to be 'modern hotels', when they emerged - the QE2 in particular, when launched was a modern design icon. So, YES - there is a reasonable expectation that a 'Queen' liner should look like a 'modern boutique hotel' - her three predecessors did. That Cunard have chosen not to do so, for a line marketed on its heritage, is to me, regretable - but thats just me - a historian, not an architect.

So, fans of the renderings - what do you like and why?;) Is it the merry chink of the slot machines from the Casino adding to the atmosphere of the 'Royal Arcade'? Or something else?

Peter

Ken,

Since your position is 'I shall not comment until I have seen the actual' and that renderings may be misleading, why do you wish to deny those of us who do wish to comment our fun? Why should we all be forced to subscribe to your self imposed strictures? The board is called Cruise Critics. It is interesting that those who express negative opinions get bashed for doing so, but so far no one has come forward to say what they like about the design and why. Then we could have a discussion.

Is reasearch a bad thing? Since the board's avowed professional architect will not comment, I thought I'd use another 'expert' - Cunard.

As a historian am I not allowed to research history? Cunard is a line marketed on heritage, so its history of interior design is relevant. For your info, historically, up to the Queens, Cunard - in common with most lines - had used 'period' styles - with the Aquitania recognised as the one which raided the historical toolbox most promiscuously. The Queen Liners, however, were all designed to be 'modern hotels', when they emerged - the QE2 in particular, when launched was a modern design icon. So, YES - there is a reasonable expectation that a 'Queen' liner should look like a 'modern boutique hotel' - her three predecessors did. That Cunard have chosen not to do so, for a line marketed on its heritage, is to me, regretable - but thats just me - a historian, not an architect.

So, fans of the renderings - what do you like and why?;) Is it the merry chink of the slot machines from the Casino adding to the atmosphere of the 'Royal Arcade'? Or something else?

Peter

OK, OK, OK....... Thanks but I don't need a Cunard history lesson.

I am surprised that you of all people insist on expecting a link between the 'historical' Cunard Line of QM and QE and the Carnival/Princess run one of today?????

Ken

OK, OK, OK....... Thanks but I don't need a Cunard history lesson. Ken

No, but CUNARD do! For a line marketed on its 'Heritage' their approach seems rather lackadasical.

Setting aside the specific case of these renderings, from a personal perspective, do you think it better that a ship have a 'coherent' design - with one dominant style - like Normandie's or Queen Mary's Art Deco, or the QE2's (original) Sixties, or do you prefer a more 'eclectic' mix - like the Aquitania, and it would appear, the Queen Victoria? Neither approach is 'right' or 'wrong' and both approaches have been successful both aesthetically and commercially.

From a personal perspective, I'd rather see a bit more design coherence - rather than bits of this and that. I thought what worked best on the QM2 was when she was just 'being herself' and not offering up homages to other stuff. I know your voyage on ARCADIA was not the best - what did you think of the design?

Peter

Archived