Mariner Questions

bryan5557

I have a few questions for those who have cruised the Mariner. I have previously cruised the Carnival Triumph and Glory, and the Caribbean Princess. This will be my first RCCL cruise, and are willing to pay a somewhat higher price to try RCCL. I am curious about drink prices, entertainment on board ship, opinions on any speciality restaurant on board, shore excursions offered to Western Caribbean ports (Cozumel, Ochos Rios, Grand Cayman), and any other observations you may care to offer. Thanks for any and all input.

Drink prices are reasonable, IMO--about $3.45 for domestic beer, and I think it was around $5 or so for a regular mixed drink. Foo foo drinks are more, of course. Can't tell you wine prices--wine is wasted on me!!!!

The specialty restaurants ($20 per person) are good--but not necessary if you're on a budget! The dining room food is fine, although not as "upscale" as it used to be.

Entertainment---they have a dance band in one of the lounges, a small combo will play in the Centrum, there's a pool band, and assorted solo entertainers. They change all the time, so it's hard to recommend any specific venue! The theatre usually has several "guest" entertainers--and their own troupe, which will do a "themepark" type show. (Not my favorite!) We've had some really outstanding comedians, tho!

Excursions--we don't do many--just head to the beaches or wander about for a while--(I'm not interested in the "historical" sights--and I'm not into physical sports, like zip-lining or whatever, so.....)

I cruised the Mariner last Christmas/New Years for 11 nights. It was absolutely fabulous! The best ship I was ever on! Of course, we had many things that were specific to the holidays, but the rest of the ship...food, fitness center, entertainment (we had awesome comedians!!), shopping were superb! I haven't been on the ships you have as you can see, but I would go on this again in a heartbeat! We did eastern/southern (a special itinerary never sailed with them previously) of Nassau, San Juan, Antigua, St. Maartan, St Lucia, and Labadee, Haiti. Ship is beautiful, crew was very attentive and cannot believe it's been almost a year! Let me know if you have specific questions...but overall, you are in for a treat! Enjoy!

Bryan,

We've done those ports on the Mariner (and other RC ships) five times now, what type of excursions are you looking for? Shopping, environmental, historic, culture, party? Sometimes you are better off doing things on your own. Have you cruised before, and if so, how often? Are you comfortable trying your own thing, or do you feel safer doing the ship's offerings?

I remember Miller Lite being about $3 total, Heineken was $3.75 or so, Jack and Ginger about $5, and mixed frozen drinks about $5.50. This is the total price, including the automatic 15% gratuity.

Bryan5557, you may not know about this feature of Mariner...the Prominade...which is like a long indoor shopping center with shops and restaurants unlike anything on Carnival ships. It even has two fun parades down the "street" because it is, in fact, much like a city center.

Other aspects that Mariner features not found on Carnival ships would be the ice skating rink and ice show and the rock climbing wall and the in-line skating trail. Oh, I also forgot the 9-hole putt putt golf course. Even if you don't ice skate or do those other things, it is fun to watch the rock-climbing competitions and the ice-skating classes. There is also a computerized golf session for an extra charge.

The premium restaurants, Chops for meat specialies, and Portofino, for Italian specialties, are both elegant and worth every cent, but it can be hard to secure reservations. Oh, the Windjammer buffet area has an Asian-food area called Jade which features an ever-changing variety of sepcilaties from India, Japan, Indonesia, The Philppines, Korea, China, etc. Jade levies no extra charge, but Chops and Portofino are $20 a person.

I forget if Mariner has the gyroscopically balanced billiards tables. I know Brilliance did, but I'm not sure about Mariner.

Let's see. What else can I tell you about features that Mariner has that are not found on Cranival ships? Guess, someone else can try. Oh, Mariner has a lovely little wedding chapel at the highest point of the ship.

I would like to add to Heavy Surf's reply.

If you plan on ice skating make sure to take long pants and socks - it's required. They have an Ice Show that is usually a must see.

For western caribbean, It's been a while for me but Capt. Marvins Water adventures http://www.captainmarvins.com/ snorkeling and swimming with the stingrays is really nice at Grand Cayman island.

Chankenaab (SP:rolleyes:) park in Cozumel or Paradise Beach is good afordable places to hang on the beach.

Pete Taylor Tours in Jamaica used to be highly recommended.

Wave runners in Labadee are fun.

O.K. so everyone covered just about everything on this ship.

In the Mall area, there is a area where you can get pizza, sandwiches, pastries, coffee, tea, etc. 24 hours a day except when they have the parades. You can sit inside or in the mall area so you can people watch while you eat or just sip coffee or tea. It is a great place to kick back for awhile.

YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE ONE HECK OF A GOOD TIME ON HER.:)

You will love the Mariner! There's so much to see and do, and the service is outstanding. I'm willing to go out on a limb and predict that you'll be hooked on RCCL after your cruise!

Drink prices are reasonable, about what you pay on land. Ask for your drink in a regular glass instead of a souvenir cup to save on each drink.

We don't usually see all the shows, because there's so much other stuff to do. That said, the ice show is amazing, so make sure you don't miss it. We also enjoy the comedian's, and the Love and Marriage Show.

The specialty restaurants are delicious, and well worth the cover charge. We like Chops and Portofino equally, and always eat at both on every cruise. Chops is a steakhouse, and Portofino serves Italian food. It's nice to take a break from the dining room and enjoy superb service in a beautiful setting. Plus, it's very romantic!

In Cozumel, we always elect to have a beach day. We've been to Paradise Beach several times and enjoy it. In Ocho Rios, we did the Canopy Tour excursion through RCCL, which was unique and a lot of fun. If you've never been to Grand Cayman, you should definitely visit Stingray City. We booked through an independent company (NativeWays) and were very pleased. Visiting Stingray City is one of my favorite things I've ever done on any cruise.

Hope this helps. Have a great time!

We've done the Xcaret excursion with Royal Caribbean before in Cozumel. Great place. Underground river to tube through, some ruins, great restaurant, animals, snorkeling. Xcaret had it all. I would not go to the mainland except on an official excursion. They held the ship for the mainland tour guests. We were late getting back.

Archived