NCL Credit Card

silkhair1

It depends on how much you can use it without accruing any interest charges. I believe it's 3% on purchases, and 4% on NCL cruises. So if you charged $1000 a month you would get 30 points. I think the people who get great use of it can probably charge business-related expenses and then pay them off. Good luck and happy cruising. :)

Sue,

You are also limited to 250 points per month. How fast do the points add up? It depends on what you charge. Many folks have more than 1 card. You can also call BOA and ask for Convenience checks which are good for merchants that do not take credit cards. I use the convenience checks to pay my mortgage and when the charge appears on the credit card, I immediately pay it off.

You can bank 1000 points per year per card. The most you can have on acount is 3000 points as after 3 years the oldest points start to disappear (ie, Mar 2002 points will be removed from an account on Apr 2005). You can request the Certificates in $500 increments any time but the certificates are only good for 1 year.

The card is great but remember one thing. The points are not worth the problems if you do not pay the card off each month.

Mark

Yes. Every point is worth a dollar once you reach 500 points. 500 points= $500 off your cruise. If you use less than 500 points, they are only good for upgrades, I believe. I wouldn't cash them in until you have 500. It doesn't seem to be worth it. I just used 2000 points for my next cruise. I use my card for everything I can and pay it off every month. I think it is the best reward card out there.

Sue,

You are also limited to 250 points per month. How fast do the points add up? It depends on what you charge. Many folks have more than 1 card. You can also call BOA and ask for Convenience checks which are good for merchants that do not take credit cards. I use the convenience checks to pay my mortgage and when the charge appears on the credit card, I immediately pay it off.

You can bank 1000 points per year per card. The most you can have on acount is 3000 points as after 3 years the oldest points start to disappear (ie, Mar 2002 points will be removed from an account on Apr 2005). You can request the Certificates in $500 increments any time but the certificates are only good for 1 year.

The card is great but remember one thing. The points are not worth the problems if you do not pay the card off each month.

Mark

So, you pay your mortgage with convenience checks and earn points? I've been trying to find a way to pay my mortgage and utilities to earn points.

Sue,

Mark

So, are there any fees when you use these checks? I had never even thought of doing this.

Sure do. I just call BOA now since they replaced MNCB and BOA sends the checks.

Just had a $30,000 addition put on house. Used Convenience Checks to pay builder. Wife and I each have cards. Split the checks over 3 months. 5 checks. 900 points on that little transaction. It is like getting an automatic $900 discount on the construction. Just takes a little planning and organization...

Mark

Just had a $30,000 addition put on house. Used Convenience Checks to pay builder. Wife and I each have cards. Split the checks over 3 months. 5 checks. 900 points on that little transaction. It is like getting an automatic $900 discount on the construction. Just takes a little planning and organization...

Mark

I would be interested in knowing the final outcome when the conveniece checks post to you account as to if there is a fee involved.

From all that I have seen in the online application and the credit card agreement paperwork, there is a 3% fee for cash advance checks. If that is true, the fee is the same as the 'reward' thus, not beneficial in the point accumulation. Although, there is a maximum fee of $75 dollars and maybe it would be worth it for the $30k worth of charges (900 total points received for a cost of $75 each month in fees).

Maybe I need to try it for one month and see what happens.

I would be interested in knowing the final outcome when the conveniece checks post to you account as to if there is a fee involved.

From all that I have seen in the online application and the credit card agreement paperwork, there is a 3% fee for cash advance checks. If that is true, the fee is the same as the 'reward' thus, not beneficial in the point accumulation. Although, there is a maximum fee of $75 dollars and maybe it would be worth it for the $30k worth of charges (900 total points received for a cost of $75 each month in fees).

I called BOA and they said that those checks are the same thing as cash advance checks. There is a 3% fee up to a maximum of $75 and of course if you don't pay your balance off at the end of the month, you pay interest on that. I knew it sounded too good to be true. Maybe some day my mortgage company will take credit cards.

I called BOA and they said that those checks are the same thing as cash advance checks. There is a 3% fee up to a maximum of $75 and of course if you don't pay your balance off at the end of the month, you pay interest on that. I knew it sounded too good to be true. Maybe some day my mortgage company will take credit cards.

Thanks for checking Christie, I was starting to get my hopes up as well;)

Also, in the credit card agreement from BOA NCL it states....

"Finance charges on cash advance checks accrue daily from the transaction date until the amount is paid in full."

Mark

nice move

Thanks for verifying the info on those checks. I recently got a new card so I dug out the paperwork & I read exactly what you found. Those checks are considered "credit card cash advance check transactions" which do not accrue any points. Plus there's that 3% fee. Boy, am I bummed - I have to pay property taxes this week & I was hoping this would work.

Sue,

Mark

Aren't convenience checks cash advances? Don't they charge a minimum fee for the check use? if so you are the one they are looking for....interest and fee charges exceed the cost of the points....

Isn't the maximum fee per check? and isn't there a 250 per month maximum for accumulation of points? so it will cost fees of the same amount(3%) for five checks up to a max of $75.00 per check $375.00 plus interest charges for a maximum total of 750.00 points seems like a lot of hassle for less than 375 points which you may or may not use. Stick to purchases and pay off every month.

Isn't the maximum fee per check? and isn't there a 250 per month maximum for accumulation of points? so it will cost fees of the same amount(3%) for five checks up to a max of $75.00 per check $375.00 plus interest charges for a maximum total of 750.00 points seems like a lot of hassle for less than 375 points which you may or may not use. Stick to purchases and pay off every month.

I agree, not worth all the hassle and possibilty that something doesn't go as planned and those points are eaten by more fees/interest.

Archived