Jeans in the dining room...

Herkguy

I am a 21 year old "girly girl" who LOVES to dress up. Trust me that I take cruises as the opportunity to wear all the fun clothes that pile up and can never be worn because of "too-casual" dinners and bars.

Just this weekend I was visiting my boyfriend in NY and we went to a nice restaurant ($60-70 pp for dinner) and I had to convince my boyfriend not to wear jeans. I was so pissed when I got there and people were dressed like they had been at a theme park all day. There was worse than jeans, and I just thought it looked so bad!

Like others have said, when I go on a cruise--I want to match the luxury of the ship. I want to look nice and not like a shlub. And I think others should too. Especially for guys--you tell me how slacks are any less comfortable than jeans?

DRESS UP! you are paying a nice chunk of money for your cruise---treat yourself to a trip to the mall (i know i sure will...)

I am a 21 year old "girly girl" who LOVES to dress up. Trust me that I take cruises as the opportunity to wear all the fun clothes that pile up and can never be worn because of "too-casual" dinners and bars.

Just this weekend I was visiting my boyfriend in NY and we went to a nice restaurant ($60-70 pp for dinner) and I had to convince my boyfriend not to wear jeans. I was so pissed when I got there and people were dressed like they had been at a theme park all day. There was worse than jeans, and I just thought it looked so bad!

Like others have said, when I go on a cruise--I want to match the luxury of the ship. I want to look nice and not like a shlub. And I think others should too. Especially for guys--you tell me how slacks are any less comfortable than jeans?

DRESS UP! you are paying a nice chunk of money for your cruise---treat yourself to a trip to the mall (i know i sure will...)

You go girl!!!:) Anything that restricts my waist is uncomfortable!

Do whatever you want, but, don't complain on this board if they do not allow you entrance into the dining room. You wanted to know what the "rule" was and I quoted from the cruise answer booklet "jeans are not permitted in the dining room" - for what it's worth.

Ron

Ron

Ron,

One of our tablemates showed up at dinner the last night in jeans and a cotton spaghetti strap camisole (that is barely a step above lingerie)...no one blinked an eye. She & DH had had a rough day & we were just glad to see her there!

Hey, I doubt I will ever show up in jeans for dinner on a cruise. Don't think I've ever brought any along! Too warm. BUT as I have said before, no worries about others attire!

But I sure am having fun here!;)

HAPPY cruising!

Kris

Ron,

One of our tablemates showed up at dinner the last night in jeans and a cotton spaghetti strap camisole (that is barely a step above lingerie)...no one blinked an eye. She & DH had had a rough day & we were just glad to see her there!

Why did they have a rough day? Their clothes burn up or something?

Things that I find interesting about this whole issue (and not necessarily discussed here):

· People will go to all the hub-bub to buy, prepare for and then go on a cruise and then seem to run out of energy when it comes to dress

· People complain that the service and quality on ships is becoming more “casual” but then dress like they’re going to IHOP

· People feel that because they don’t agree with a guideline it doesn’t exist – and I often wonder if this is a vacation phenomena or something that permeates real life. And if it’s the latter, it explains some of the issues we have on land

· “Dressy” casual jeans might be perceived as being more appropriate than and old tux, but I can’t say that I’ve ever seen a tux on a cruise ship that was so old it looked inappropriate – some of the jeans, however – even the ones the manufacturers are pricing ridiculously high just because of the name on the label – are a different story

Listen.......I'm a 52 year old girly girl:eek: Always have been. I look forward to cruising and getting all dressed up every night.... full makeup and high heels....arthritic knee and all...that's part of the cruise EXPERIENCE:D :D

Personally, I think dressing down is an American phenomenom. If you are on a cruise or traveling outside the U.S. and go to a fine restaurant, you don't find the "It's my vacation and I'll do what I want" attitude.

The ONLY time I've worn jeans to the dining room was last year after we'd been on a 14-hour excursion from Casablanca to Marrakech. We were delayed getting back and didn't arrive until after 8:30PM. The Royal had only one dining room so it was 100% traditional dining. We dragged ourselves onto the ship and the Maitre D waved us over to the dining room rather than our taking the time to go upstairs, shower (it'd been in the 100s all day), change and return.

The only times that we have either really seen Jeans in the dinning room or even on board was up in Alaska. We rarely see them in the Caribbean or over in Europe. In the Caribbean- it is shorts/skirts. In Europe- pants, skirts since the clothing over there for tours is pants or skirts no shorts allowed on alot of the tours.

This past summer, I saw photos of people in t-shirts/short- shorts in Europe this summer- it was not making a good look for us Americans. One needs to respect the climate that you are located at.

cheers,

We were on the Sapphire in Asia two weeks ago and we actually watched the wait staff ask a gentleman in jeans to leave the dining room. He came in with the original rush and was not noticed at the doorl. He was genuinely surprised, very pleasant about it and came back quickly dressed in khaki's and a nice shirt.

Our table was ready to applaud !!!!!! Both for the waiters and for the cruiser who was obviously uninformed but willing to go with the rules.

Listen.......I'm a 52 year old girly girl:eek: Always have been. I look forward to cruising and getting all dressed up every night.... full makeup and high heels....arthritic knee and all...that's part of the cruise EXPERIENCE:D :D

Well then I give to you what Clutterlady so nicely said to me :)

You go girl!!!

I think everyone should enjoy getting dressed up! I look forward to a lot of things on the cruise--but looking good is my favorite part!

(and aren't high heels worth the pain?)

(and aren't high heels worth the pain?)

Your orthopedic surgeon would say so!!!

Lordy the jeans debate for the thousandth time. I have seen them on every single one of my cruises at some point in the dining room for the past 20 years. And I could not care less. I am not the fashion police and am there for my personal fun. If you like dressing up, knock yourself out. If you have your boobs hanging out in your fancy dress, some might find that inappropriate though you be dressed in heels and sequins. Bottom line, I got better things to do than worry about what what my fellow pax or friends are wearing! Your attire is not going to negatively affect me in any way unless you smell bad! I will still enjoy me cruise experience despite what you wear!

So, don't remember Princess having a 50's night, do they. RCL did and jeans were ok that night. The bad thing was they the didn't schedule it very well as they made it on lobster night - the fanciest night on the cruise.:confused:

Could be an out for jeans in the DR one night of the cruise....:eek:

Archived